The Big Picture: Off the Charts

rod_hynes

Jun 21, 2009
I don't understand the bad press Uncharted gets. I played through both of them and had a blast. Both Bob and Yahtzee both have spoken out about how bad the story and or character is. Whatever, I had fun. I wouldn't mind a movie. It can't be anyworse than the second National Tresure movie...

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
ARGH, FFS Bob stop making me hate you, uncharteds story was good i agree, but when you put in "for a western developer" seriously? WHAT PLAnET ARE YOU ON, Bioshock, Dragon age, mass effect, Red dead redemption

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I don't really care about the Uncharted movie, having never played the games. Heh, I've already posted twice today that I don't like the Playstation consoles due to their uncomfortable controllers and game selection I'm not interested in. Go figure.

And thinking on it, Hollywood has yet to make a video game movie I'd actually be inclined to see. Those big name franchises they made movies of? I've never played those games (and I'm pretty sure Mario 64 came AFTER the Mario movie, so that doesn't count). Most of the games I love are RPGs with a malleable protagonist, so I doubt Hollywood would try to make a movie of one of those.

However, I do want to see a Legend of Zelda movie, but only as the CROWNING ACHIEVEMENT OF MOVIES BASED ON VIDEO GAMES OF ALL TIME. Say, at least a decade after Uwe Boll stops making movies.

SuperRobot64

Mar 22, 2010
"For a western developer" Damnit Bob, Bioware lives there! (as well as other great story crafting developers)

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
To be fair, The Prince of Persia Movie wasn't that bad....but nothing extraordinary. So yeah, I guess this movie could be pretty cool, but I personally don't really care about game to movie adaptations. I get more excited about game to anime adaptions =P

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
When I go to watch the HQ version it just says stream not found.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Zhukov said:
Whoo boy.

You just had to throw in that "for a western developed video game" line didn't you?

I'm not even gonna touch that. Because if I did it would just consist of me yelling, "Bioshock!" over and over.
And me screaming "Mass Effect! whenever you pause to take a breath. Also, is he implying the JRPGs actually have good storylines? Because... that is the most wrong thing I've heard him say since that time he classified all sport hunters as the scum of the Earth.

Well, aside from that, he does make a good point.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
I've seen alot of people bashing Moviebob about his "For a western developer" line, and I think it's funny that they bring up the same five games. Probably because those few games are the exception. Most games that I play for a good story aren't western made games because western games put more emphasisi on making a profit rather than making a touching story and gameplay.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Goota say I'm loving the choice of hats.

But yes it is true, Western developed videogames OFTEN have terrible writing and story. That isn't to say they always do, there are some with amazing thematic elements and impressive scripts, but these are sadly in the minority...

Just like how most MOVIES have amazing thematic elements and impressive scripts in the minority. We should be seeing a pattern here.

Jazzyjazz2323

Jan 19, 2010
Incoming Bioware fanboy rage!!!!!
But umm bBob the west dominates in the story telling department,Assassins creed,Red Dead Redemption,Everything Bioware has ever done hell even some of Bethesda's works and Bioshock.You can't find a single eastern developed game that can hold a candle to those games in terms of story and me actually giving a fuck about them.
Just shows once again everything that deals with film I agree with Bob but everything gaming related it's completely polar opposite.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
HankMan said:
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
So Baz Luhrmann is making a movie based on The Great Gatsby

thats bad how?
It's in 3D
That's never a good sign
Also, Baz Luhrmann. God, I hate that guy. The only one of his movies I saw was his horrendous take on Romeo and Juliet, and that was enough to make me want him to never make another movie.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
I thought it was agreed that Scott Pilgrim was the first great video game movie? It's not based on an actual video game franchise, but it took many of the mechanics and structures that are traditional to video games and effectively converted them to serve the film's narrative.

And I do like Bioware, but they're really the only western developer that consistently produces games I seek out specifically to experience an engaging story, so I guess I agree with that "for a western developer" statement.

edit: OK, I don't actually think there's a consensus on Scott Pilgrim, I just wanted a good lead in.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
One reason video-game movies are generally not liked by the fans of the games is that the film-makers feel the need to do something different from the original material.

I think the idea that adapting the original story would be boring because it's already available in similar enough format is there.

So we get movies like Resident Evil or Silent Hill that have nothing to do with the source material, really.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
You almost lost me when you called Killzone "shlock" especially when you have not played any of the four games (unless you have a PSP).

And you officially lost me when you said that Transformers suck because they were made by Michael Bay.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Im still iffy about the movie. Never played either game, but ive seen the playthroughs on youtube for both, so I have an idea where they are going. I still think the plot of the movie has nothing to do with either games, despite your opinion on the games story, and will be the most antagonistic part of the whole.

But since the guy made the movie Three Kings, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
"For a western developer"...
BioShock, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Halo, Assassin's Creed, mother. [i/]fucking.[/i] HALF-LIFE!
I could go on, but really, what's the point? I knew this would fall on deaf ears when I saw the characters on the "potentially good movies" slide (Hint: 2 Nintendo franchises, 1 Konami, and I didn't recognize the other).