The Big Picture: Off the Charts

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Off the Charts

It's movie fans versus gaming fans in the battle over the Uncharted movie.

Watch Video

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I like the "just my opinion" hat, good choice Bob. I can see the general argument but haven't really played the Uncharted games either I'll just wait and see how the movie turns out. I mean, changes don't necessarily mean bad things, changes for the better can happen. Right?

thelastgentleman

Sep 16, 2010
Doubtful but with a hint of intrigue. There is always hope for the first great game movie, however I still would like to see the first Zelda game made hopefully within my lifetime.

Ascarona

Jan 24, 2010
Mweh Uncharted never seemed interesting to me, doesn't deserve a movie though tbh. It would be making a movie based on a game based on Indiana Jones.

I liked The Fighter though so who knows?

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
thelastgentleman said:
Doubtful but with a hint of intrigue. There is always hope for the first great game movie, however I still would like to see the first Zelda game made hopefully within my lifetime.

Err, Zelda movie, right?

And that would be awesome. There are a few other franchises that could stand to have their universe expanded via books or movies, I think. A Metroid movie might be kinda fun, so long as Samus is actually Samus, and not, yano, 'daddy-issues' samus from Other M.

But on to the topic at hand: They can do away with the Uncharted storyline, so long as the character and setting/'feel' is kept. Like a good book-to-movie adaptation it cannot possibly hope to be 100% 'true' to the games. But it can be true to the spirit of them.

Also This felt slightly less "big-picture" and more "inb4 minor rant." You can do better, Bob.

conzan

Apr 16, 2010
not related but what games do you like movie bob, you seem to bash them a bit (not angry) just wondering what story based games your a fan of (if any)

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Don't really care about Uncharted, not owning a PS3, but if the movie is trying to be like National Treasure I might be interested. National Treasure wasn't a great movie but the way it was so earnest in portraying it's conspiracy-laden construction of American history as exciting and interesting made me enjoy it quite a bit.

More concerned about the Green Lantern movie honestly. So Bob has tipped over into outright pessimism about the chances of it being good? That's bad, because I've honestly been having a hard time trying to convince myself that it still looks like it's going to be good.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Whoo boy.

You just had to throw in that "for a western developed video game" line didn't you?

I'm not even gonna touch that. Because if I did it would just consist of me yelling, "Bioshock!" over and over.

And now I've started touching that.

I'm outa here.

Kruxs

Oct 7, 2010
Shouldn't a game's narrative stand on its own in the game? Do games really need films in order for them to make sense?

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
I never saw Uncharted as a movie to get terribly defensive about regarding the plot. It has some other neat elements, but the story isn't as important as how it addressed the kind of game that it was. The thing is, the kind of game that it was has already been done as a movie. Several times.

Any changes they make, if the movie is any good, will probably extend the life of the Uncharted franchise instead of somehow corrupting it.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
More than likely it'll be along the lines of National Treasure hopefully without Nicolas Cage's horrible acting.
If you own a PS3 and haven't at least played Uncharted 2, I'd recommend it. It earned its title of game of the year in 09.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
You couldn't go without saying "from a western developer" could you? So, what, are eastern developers better at telling a story?

Seriously, not going to even go further into it.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Huh. I believe the reason that games don't make good movies and vice versa is more to do with the fact that the canons and notion of "good" for each medium entail entirely different things. Two different forms of judgment are applies to each one and its hard to translate between he two because either you have to change your standards for each, which many see as hypocritical or are unable to do, or you judge both by the same standards which causes it to inevitably fail because the two forms of judgment are too different. In other words, judging a movie like game makes it suck and judging each different is something people cannot or will not do since they can't separate the two in their mind. On top of that. Who cares if they make a good game movie? What exactly does that accomplish? I serious why do people care so much? That somehow makes games more legitimate because the the film canon of relatively "high art" acknowledges it? Do we just really love the ability to move franchises between medium? Is there some tremendous overlap of movie and game aficionados that want both to be together? What?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Bob, people weren't complaining about the story being ruined, but about changing the whole nature of what made the game appealing.

Casting Mark Wahlberg to play a smarmy, playfull jerk is the best example of this.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
The "...from a western developrer" remark makes me know that the "games are art" brigade are going to come into this comment section foaming at the mouth...

OT: I do think that having a competent man working on it gives us a better chance of the movie not being good, but as mentioned, it's Uncharted, best described as it was in the video. Still, with this and the fact that Prince of Persia was just "ok, I guess" and not "terrible" means we might be able to see a genuinely good game movie soon.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I think for me the issue with the Uncharted movie isn't how much they adapt it in terms of specific character traits (such as the parted hair) so much as it is that the movie is being described as something wholely unrelateable to the series. Despite the issues with the Resident Evil films, at least the first film was something different from the games in terms of characters but is at least something that one can imagine happening in the Resident Evil universe, because the aspects of Resident Evil that make it Resident Evil are still there. Uncharted on contrast appears to have a story that one can't imagine ever happening in the Unchared universe, because the aspects of Uncharted that make it Uncharted are not present in the film. I've played the games myself, and I enjoy them, but I agree that while the story is certainly better than most games today, it's not the most terrific of stories, but at least there is something about the stries to identify it as an Uncharted story, mainly the idea of an outlaw treasure hunter who despite being a douche at least tries to have fun with the experience. The movie sounds like the opposite of that, especially when they hire Mark Wahlberg for the role. While no disrespect for the guy, in fact I think he is a pretty decent actor, he's not the type of actor someone usually hires to play a douche who has fun in what others would call a terrifying or stressful situation. I think what this comes down to is that this movie is going to have a hard time pleasing anyone, since even if the quality of the film ends up being good, the fans of Uncharted won't be getting a good Uncharted film, just a film with the title Uncharted, while regular film critics won't like it because it appears to be trying to hard to be like National Treasure meets Indianna Jones meets Dan Brown stories.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Bob, people weren't complaining about the story being ruined, but about changing the whole nature of what made the game appealing.

Casting Mark Wahlberg to play a smarmy, playfull jerk is the best example of this.
That and people were mostly just incredibly shocked at how casually he said the story was going to be "about a family of theieves who protect artifacts" or something, which isn't anywhere near what "Uncharted" is about.

Actually, here's a quote from the man himself.

"This idea really turns me on that there's a family that's a force to be reckoned with in the world of international art and antiquities ... [a family] that deals with heads of state and heads of museums and metes out justice."

Seriously, does that even sound remotely like "Uncharted"?

Yeah, it's not so much that the story is being changed, but just the very nature of it being changed, I mean, seriously, a family of artifact theieves?