The Big Picture: On The Subject Of Violence

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Pretty much what I've been saying all along. You can have some asshole start picking off hunters in the woods claiming he's avenging Bambi's mom, but that doesn't mean Bambi should be banned.

Psychopaths will look for anything to inspire them, and they'll find inspiration no matter what anyone else does. Banning certain forms of media means they'll just look elsewhere until we've effectively banned everything.

Also, the captcha says "Mumbo Jumbo" and I have my N64 in the attic, so I'm gonna go replay Banjo-Kazooie now and not think about crazy people for a while.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
See this is smart.

People ALWAYS blame something other then other people for what happens.
Its never because someone is a sick minded monster, or that they had bad upbringings, or that society did nothing to stop them.

Its always the easy targets: D and D, Manson, Rock and Roll, Video Games, Movies.
Its far easier to blame something else, rather then just saying some people are monsters.

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
Does any one know what could have prevented the Denver incident? GUN CONTROL!!

PS:eek:h, the forums suddenly look a lot more "slick". That's nice

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I dont always agree with you Bob, but this is one of those times I am fully behind you. I just wish more people thought like this, instead of go off half-cocked (sorry...)

I just realised, I always say this when I agree with Bob...

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
ivc392 said:

Nowway has gun control, that did not prevented their tragedy.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
ivc392 said:

He would have found a way to get guns anyhow. I mean he rigged his apartment to blow. He seems like he knew how to get things.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Great piece, Bob.

And of course there's one more obvious argument: if there are two books that can claim to have inspired more nutcases to commit atrocities than any others, they are the Bible and the Quran. If we're going to go about banning things because they 'might' give homicidal lunatics bad ideas, we'd be pretty much duty bound to start there.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Bravo, Bob. Well spoken and to the point.

I wonder if we could show this Big Picture to everyone who wants to censor the arts? It might (hopefully) get people to stop rushing into decisions on censorship based off an emotional backlash.

Flatfrog said:
Great piece, Bob.

And of course there's one more obvious argument: if there are two books that can claim to have inspired more nutcases to commit atrocities than any others, they are the Bible and the Quran. If we're going to go about banning things because they 'might' give homicidal lunatics bad ideas, we'd be pretty much duty bound to start there.
I had to edit this post after reading this. I think it might actually be interesting to bring up this point whenver we see some religious group acting like idiots...like the WBC or One Million Moms for example. (Okay, granted OMM isn't a religious group, but the way they've been acting, you almost have to wonder...)

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I sympathize with Bob, there are times I wish someone, specifically someone who's better at articulating their thoughts then I am, would address and issue before I can, or at the very least, I wish my line of thinking was better represented at times...

In this case, yeah, there ARE links, and I wish people would be opened-minded to see that, while there IS a link, the link isn't so much the movie/video games fault as it is the individual person's fault for being, for lack of better words, insane.

Nice use of CD-i Link, BTW.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
ivc392 said:
Don't bring that conversation into this thread, it has nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

OT: This felt like a long-winded way of saying "Don't make rash decisions", and considering I don't have the power to make any rash decisions anyway, I suppose I agree. It's impossible to predict the actions of a loony. If they couldn't get "inspiration" from one thing they might have done nothing, or they might have just gathered "inspiration" from something else. There's no way of knowing.

TechTim

Apr 15, 2011
great job! definitely needed to be said. also agree with statements that if a psycho is going to rampage they're going to find an outlet no matter how far a stretch it may be

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
The thing that gets to me about censorship arguments is apparent ignorance of the fact that art imitates life. If the news media eagerly goes out of their way to cover every violent crime and war even if they take place thousands of kilometres from their audience, if politicians talk about getting tough on crime and rattle sabres at anyone who looks at them funny, and if zealots are inspired by their clergy and holy books to shoot doctors and blow up buildings, how is censoring entertainment media going to change anything?

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
Yes, yes, this!

If you go on a murder spree, you are fucking deranged from the beginning. You might get the idea to shoot someone in the face by watching Tom and Jerry, which I say is far more dangerous to watch for kids. In a cartoon, no one dies of getting shot in the face, they do however in movies. Anything can become the catalyst for a deranged man.

And no, just because you were raised badly, maybe abused, that does not give you any mercy at all. Responsibility for YOUR actions.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Flatfrog said:
Great piece, Bob.

As a Christian, I'll fully admit that this is true.

I really liked this video, Bob. It gave me further points to think about, as my previous stance had been about half of yours.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Welp, I'm sorry you thought you had to say it because no-one got to the punch before you, but I'm glad you did because you've just done exactly that for me. I would call you a mind-reader, but there's no way my train of thought could have been deciphered so coherently. Good job.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Very good Bob, once again agree with everything you said. I may not share your taste in movies, but I do agree with this. The bottom line is that most of these killers like the one in Colorado, they no doubt have a whole plethora of deep seeded psychological issues and whatever it is that they say "inspired" them was probably only the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.