The Big Picture: Once Upon a Time in The Future

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
You know, I've never really liked MovieBob's videos even though I watch pretty much everything he does. And even with his signature "I'm the only one" attitude, I really enjoyed this. I completely agreed with what he was saying. It's come as a complete shock to me that people really don't care about this kind of stuff when I would say that space travel is more important than whatever stupid political junk going on right now.

Night Knight

Nov 24, 2010
Its very hard to beleive that america as a whole doesnt truly care anymore about anything but money. Coming from a proud canadian I cant help but see all of this just by gosip and hearing it aloud just how bad the USA has gotten. I cant help but agree with everything Movie Bob has said in this video in almost everything he has done regarless either its about movies or a topic. Im brand new to this site but I've been watching this sites videos for a long time. Thank you Movie Bob if you read this, your words are very powerful and I only wish good luck in your fortune. I have a feeling if you were to take over Obama's place things in America would probebly get better since you actually have a real thought prossess which the American government doesnt. Again i could be wrong about America all together but one thing is for sure, America needs to be reset. Thank you again Movie Bob, you are a true roll model =)

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
AjimboB said:
The problem that the space program faces is a lack of tangible goals. The reason people used to care about NASA was because of the cold war, and the goal of NASA was to beat the soviets, and show American dominance and supremacy through science. Since the Soviet Union collapsed, the US hasn't had an enemy on the same technological level as us, so most people no longer care about progressing technology, unless it's being made by Apple.

The thing about people is that most of them have no foresight, and don't care about the future. This is the EXACT SAME reason for America's recent economic collapse, people not caring about the future, borrowing and spending money that they don't have, with a live now, care later kind of attitude.

When people don't have a direct, tangible goal for the future, they forget that the future even exists, which is why this program is being shut down. This is sad.
I'll agree that people aren't caring about the future, but I disagree with all that tangible goal for the future stuff.

Going to the Moon again and setting up various things on it is a tangible goal. Going to Mars is a tangible goal. The problem is that people are either not caring for the future, or they are very short sighted about the future. In short sighted, I mean that when they think of things that are tangible for the future, they are only thinking, "Will we be able to do it in 2 maybe three years." They have this weird thinking that it if it will take 5, 10, maybe 20 years, it isn't worth it or isn't possible.

I say, "things take time people get over it."

---------------------

I've been out of the loop on any kind of news about the my nation for more than a month, I've just heard small amounts of stuff that hand nothing to do with this, so I didn't know about the retirement of the space shuttle until a few days ago. I didn't find out about NASA having it big program cut until I saw Bob's video.

I'm not surprised. I actually saw this shit coming. Mister Obama the nut, said during his campaign that he wanted to do away with government funding to NASA. Of course it was conservatives like me that actually knew his intentions were real. Everybody told us that it was crazy, that our Savior Obama would never destroy one of our country's most important scientific tools.

If people would stop drinking kool-aid from people that think like him, we wouldn't loose important things like funding for NASA's programs.

I guess it is more important to bail-out companies that aren't actually too big to fail, and creating a health care system that will be worse that the one we had.

I guess the more important subjects of mankind can be put on the back burner.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Night Knight said:
Its very hard to beleive that america as a whole doesnt truly care anymore about anything but money. Coming from a proud canadian I cant help but see all of this just by gosip and hearing it aloud just how bad the USA has gotten. I cant help but agree with everything Movie Bob has said in this video in almost everything he has done regarless either its about movies or a topic. Im brand new to this site but I've been watching this sites videos for a long time. Thank you Movie Bob if you read this, your words are very powerful and I only wish good luck in your fortune. I have a feeling if you were to take over Obama's place things in America would probebly get better since you actually have a real thought prossess which the American government doesnt. Again i could be wrong about America all together but one thing is for sure, America needs to be reset. Thank you again Movie Bob, you are a true roll model =)
Well, it is the people that voted for Obama that are to blame. He said during his campaign that he was going to cut funding that NASA was using on projects like the new and improved shuttle program.

They dismissed it, they voted him in, and now we aren't going to the Moon again, or to Mars.

Badazzninja

Dec 20, 2009
The first one of these I've actually wholeheartedly agree with. Peace on Earth < cities on Mars HANDS DOWN. Peace on Earth implies Mankind overriding our genetic disposition for conflict in all its forms, negative and positive. Cities on Mars implies Mankind taking advantage of the positive aspects of that same disposition (competition, problem-solving, striving for victory despite all obstacles) and using it to further ourselves as a species.

Cities on Mars? Can anyone says "blank slate upon which we can test-run new forms of law and government currently untestable due to the current status quo laid down by existing societies"?
Whenever a given population picks up and moves to settle in a new frontier, the first thing they do is try to create a new government that strives to get away from the very things that made the old regime obsolete and pushed the pilgrims to get away in the first place. Only THIS time, there's no natives to get in the way when we try to build our new nation.

Peace on Earth? Peace on MARS is by far way more obtainable than peace on Earth. Too bad we'll probably blow ourselves up down here before we ever get up there.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
dathwampeer said:
Nomanslander said:
dathwampeer said:
Truth be told. If they are anything like us. They would see our species as a possible threat. And exterminate us before that threat is realised. Or maybe they'd be more like the creatures in skyline.
Wait, did you just bring up skyline as a noteworthy example?

Ewww!

LoL
Do you know why people don't like that film... Because we lost.

I'd say that film is the best expression of 'what a real alien invasion might be like' that we've ever had.

Unexpected, hopeless and in the end, unsatisfying.

No last minute hill billy heroics. No dues ex machina flu plot-lines. No underdog military exploits.

The film is majorly underrated... aside from that whole bullshit at the end.
I think it has more to do than just that.

Honestly, I'd love to see a movie where we're doomed from the start, but done well. Not have it made that way just as an after thought in order to be different.

The only alien movie that's ever come close to this was Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds, but of course he fucked up the third act by getting repetitive and silly (and casting Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning, but then again I would want to watch them die in a film like this so go figure), and of course the Deus Ex Machina sealed the deal.

The problem with this movie is it's NOTHING BUT repetitive and silly. How many times were we going to see them run back into that damn penthouse and so we could deal with pandering D rated dialogue filler? And. What made them think we'd be soooo interest in their story when the cast is just as annoying, talentless, but yet pretty as any realty show cast you'd see today on network television? I mean the cast was only one step above Jersey Shore douchbaggery, and we're suppose to care about these fuckwards?

With:

-bad characters
-repetitive
-bad writing
-bad pacing
-total rip off of every other alien invasion movie ever made.

And you're just not going to come out with a good movie no matter how you see it. If I ever get the morbid taste of watching the end of our kind. I'll just watch War of the Worlds again and completely skip the third act.

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
How...how did I miss this!?!!!?!?!?!

Shit...honestly, at first I thought, "Well...we need to conserve our budget" but that's no excuse for funneling progess towards other shit. This makes me sad.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Most people seem to not care or dont know about this subject right now.

You will hear them crying when China or Europe gets the 1st base on the moon or will land on mars the 1st.

Now the next "big step for mankind" will rely on other nations and not on the US.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Alias42 said:
I understand your desire to want to live in Star Wars more then in the real world. I'm also glad that most politicians don't share that dream.
I understand your inability to see that the world can be a better place than it is. I really wish less people shared it.

Seriously though, Star Trek is pretty full of shit, but to deny the importance of space is essentially to deny the entire universe and everything thing in it. Letting other people have it while we go around picking fights and worrying about immediate profits is something that we are going to regret. A lot. Probably in my lifetime.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
The funny thing about space is that most of it is shit. I really think we're got better things to be doing the mucking about in it. I've never understood why people are so fascinated by mars, I mean if you don't like it on earth, what makes you think you're going to like a planet that's at least 100 times more determined to kill you?

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Vetinarii said:
messy said:
The Stonker said:
messy said:
In my opinion the age of space exploration is over. The new science frontier, in my heavily biochemistry studying view, is the human genome and genetic technology. Look at a DNA molecule, that's the future.

EDIT: also giving a highly biased view of "scientists" not all of us work on making your ipods smaller. That's the fields of physics (and even then not all of physics anyway.)

2000th post as well. Rather glad it was biology themed.

You should be ashamed.
For if space is the final frontier, the big end which never ends, utopia.
For in space then you can find everything and anything, space is where almost all fields of science come and go hand in hand.
I personally love biology, but what will happen when we will have overpopulated the world and we need a new place to live on? Well...To space! But unfortunetly the nation which has the best scientists,research and such, just decided to cancel the project.
I would have cancelled loads of other things instead, to research space travel.
Yes, I love space and all science.
Ashamed? I don't think so.

Yes space is a very nice dream. But with the way things are its just not plausible at the moment. Over population I imagine was going to get to us long before we have sustainable bases on places like Mars. The distance alone makes any sort of mission. Also if we keep thinking "on to the next planet" why would we bother looking after this one? I prefer a much more sustainable living philosophy.
You should be ashamed...Biology isn't a real subject... Also... we should be putting more effort into designing bigger weapons and fighting wars to keep the population down... SRS FACE GUYS

Now in fact I want to ask what make DNA the future? I see GM as a good thing WHICH WE CAN DO ALREADY! But what else are we really looking at? The future is not really likely to be DNA is it?

mic1402 said:
Vetinarii said:
One reall problem... Calcium leaking... bones can't cope with the low gravity on the moon... or on the way to Mars... Yeah so when ever they think of doing this those that go up will never be able to come back down...
there is a reason for astronauts being REALLY fit you know. what do you think the point of the ISS was?
Yeah but the more time spent the less likely the trip back will succeed.
Well we have sequence the Genome but there is still loads we don't know how to do. We still can't make out own enzymes or other proteins, if we could crack the "protein code" as it were all sorts of processes could be done more efficiently. And by make our own proteins I mean designed from scratch where we pick a function we want, e.g break down alcohol, and we design the entire amino acid sequence, make the gene and then grow it in bacteria and have it function in solution. Also sure we can "do GM" but we can get it much better, we can make crops give us vaccines and more vitamins but these are still in the early stages.

We have the potential to even control when crops grow and what triggers them to produce flowers plus seeds. This sort of biology is taking what we have and making it more suited to ourselves. The space thing just seems to be.... hmm not going to well on this planet best be moving on, in my opinion. With the mission to mars etc.

captainwalrus

Jul 25, 2008
If we want to alleviate hunger, poverty, famine, unemployment, etc., it'd probably be better to actually invest in space exploration and colonization, rather than throw the money at corrupt dictatorships. Expansion into space would provide a litany of new markets ripe for exploitation. We'd have new science and technological industries popping up not only in the first world countries and industrializing nations like China and India, but it might also spur industrial growth in the third world. Plus, if space colonization ends up being successful, those colonies will become immigration havens for poverty-stricken peoples searching for new opportunities.

In short, if we really want to alleviate world poverty, then we have to create new markets and opportunities for those people. There's no riper place than space, right now. And I also mean "alleviate," not "solve." There's no currently feasible way to solve the problem of poverty and famine, and taking money from the space program to throw at those issues will neither "solve" them, nor even "alleviate" them.

Secondly, there's no better catalyst for innovation than necessity. We need not divert funds from space exploration/colonization to spend solely on environmental and energy issues, because two of the major obstacles of colonization are problems of environment and energy. Since things in space have to go long periods of time without refueling/resupplying, how do we make things more efficient? How do we deal with inhospitable climates? How may we best utilize the limited sources of energy there are in space? Dealing with these problems will spur possibly more innovation in energy/environmental studies than if we just looked at the problem from down here.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
hurricanejbb said:
messy said:
In my opinion the age of space exploration is over. The new science frontier, in my heavily biochemistry studying view, is the human genome and genetic technology. Look at a DNA molecule, that's the future.
Interesting you bring that up, as it turns out biochemistry and genetic engineering may actually play a role in future space exploration. Perhaps both fields have a brave new frontier ahead of them.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/A-Good-Mix-Genetic-Engineering-and-Space-Exploration-164135.shtml
Yeah this is a good point and makes sense. But the problem with space exploration with the hope of colonisation is that we seem all to ready to abandon this planet. I know if humanity survives long enough we will need new planets but in my mind it makes sense to master what we have instead of just jumping ship.

Also his suggestion of altering someone genetically like that would likely have to be done to the embryo so each cell contained the required genes. Which sounds pretty cool but there are ethical ramifications of this, since can we breed someone for out own purposes without them getting a say.

However I suppose it could be done with a genetically altered virus that integrates itself into our genome (liker the Herpes/cold saw viruses - two similar viruses) but you'd have to ensure it infected every cell.

Finally this is from Venter, who's artificial genome was impressive but I think he went a bit far to say he'd made an artificial organism. Since he didn't make the cell membrane. And we know that if you put foreign DNA into a cell it will be able to utilise it, he just did it (impressively) on a larger scale.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
ZephrC said:
Alias42 said:
I understand your desire to want to live in Star Wars more then in the real world. I'm also glad that most politicians don't share that dream.
I understand your inability to see that the world can be a better place than it is. I really wish less people shared it.

Seriously though, Star Trek is pretty full of shit, but to deny the importance of space is essentially to deny the entire universe and everything thing in it. Letting other people have it while we go around picking fights and worrying about immediate profits is something that we are going to regret. A lot. Probably in my lifetime.
I hardly see how assing about in orbit is going to make the world a better place. People seem to have this wierd romantic notion about the subject of space travel and they really need a reality check. Traveling to different starsystems, (even the ones that are really really close) is still about as physically possible as going back in time.
As far as the improvement of man kinds knowlegde of the universe is concerned there are alot of better things we could be spending our time doing.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
Ersanven said:
I personally don't care. I think shutting down the space program was one the better ideas of the Obama administration. We don't have the technology yet to get anywhere interesting in a life time and cities on Mars or the Moon would be wildly impractical. I think we should spend more energy developing the Earth than dicking around in space. I'm not gonna go on some spiel about war and the hungry and sick, because we'll always have those things no matter how far we advance. All I'm saying is unless we develop Faster Than Light Travel we should leave our Sci Fi nerd fantasies by the wayside. This Earth is all we have for now and if we waste our precious energy up in the big nothing, our problems down here will bite us in the ass. I'm sure anyone can agree it's just idiotic to look up when there is a fire at your feet.
I don't understand this argument. It seems to be that "We can't get there yet so we shouldn't be trying to." My question is how are we ever going to be able to do these things if we're not working toward them as a goal. If we're not trying to develop the tech to go somewhere, it will never be developed.

Triple360

Jul 27, 2009
Peh, i've read some comments and i've got the general idea. Most people seem to think its because there is not any competitors in the space race. Ludicrous as china, japan, Russia and the EU are still in it. China has made massive leaps and bounds in there progress. So no it will not be corporate companies or America launching meetings with aliens because one America suffered a major depression people and they cant afford it at this time to see to space travel. And very few companies have the money to have there own space program, and if it will not provide a large profit the chances are they will not start the program themselves.

You will see corps moving in on it once its up and running and viable for profit. Chances are though we will have the EU or china or India, even maybe japan meeting our first extra terrestrials. And personally i don't mind that, you've become a fat blotted child America, hissy fitting about what not for shit all reasons. Your culturally behind in many ways, you still havnt managed to fix poverty in your nation, you still have extreme racism and you still have you little bitches about religion and your one true god.

Your nation will turn to decadence and stagnation soon, like the roman empire, you've reached your peak and now another nation will take the stage as the world leader. Likely china, or India and if Russia joins the Eu then the EU as well.

Its time you realize you've alienated half the world and your no longer the leaders of liberty and freedom. Your now in the eyes of the world the leaders of corporate greed, bias media and intolerance to others, and most prominently ignorance.

Yeah damn right im flamming on you america.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Really bob normally i can kinda of see where your going on about but this one i totally disagree.

America is falling apart the economy is screwed and everything is going down the drain.It not about getting peace on earth and helping feed everybody at the moment america is struggling to make enough money to keep it a float.If america started funding mass space programs the country would be in so much debt and have serious problems.

So i understand why scraping a program that will "waste" money to make the money to climp out of a recession that half the world is in makes sence.As having a city on the moon wont be helpful when the country is in peices.

But if you want america using its money on random things instead of fixing the problems the country has your not the "bad guy" your an idoit as it seems like you have forgot the world economy is in terrible shape.

So governments have to use all available funds to keep there countries running