The Big Picture: Once Upon a Time in The Future

ArianaUO321

Mar 20, 2010
yoas3 said:
Space travel isn't important. That space shuttle is not human achievement, the cure for a disease is. The fact that we still have so many problems on earth like war, starvation, and disease mean we should focus more on that, and not whats happening on mars. By saying we need a space station, a shuttle and a mission, your saying more people in the world need to die.
Yes, but unfortunately? Space travel and colonies on Mars are thinking realistically, those are both POSSIBLE. Ending war, starvation, and disease? That's just naive, wishful thinking. Ending war is impossible as long as humanity and the ability to think exist, and starvation and disease are no less impossible to eliminate.

Hate to break it to those of you with bleeding hearts, but its the truth. Some problems can never be solved, and I personally would much rather see us throw money at space travel, than spend that money chasing an impossible to reach goal. Call me a heartless ***** if you want, but its the truth.

poppabaggins

May 29, 2009
The future isn't in space; it's inside of computers 40-50 years from now when we have reached a technological singularity. boosh.

B-Rye

Jan 19, 2010
The sad truth is that ever since humans began settling and banding together after they figured out farming, we have always been at war with each other. It is war that drives us to surpass our enemy. It is war that unifies a divided country inside, and alligns it with others against a common foe. It was war that drove science and technology. Now both are driven by the consumer.

For those of us who read Watchmen, we realize that a common threat will be the only thing that truly unites humanity. It could be an alien race, it could be overpopulation and inevitable loss of resources, it could be the aftermath of WWIII whenever it happens. Either way, nothing short of a common threat that defies socio-economic status, race, religion, gender, political affiliation, age, etc. will truly force us to reprioritize as a species.

GamerFromJump

Sep 28, 2009
"Private" doesn't mean "soulless corporate", Bob. The people that make up groups like Scaled Composites, XCOR, SpaceX and the like are people who feel as you (and I) do, and see the culmination of dreams up there. When the real-life Enterprise gets built, it'll have their fingerprints on it. The idea that the end of government involvement means the end period is just what the big-gov types want us to believe, but private enterprise (no pun intended) are often the quick mammals to government's lumbering dinosaur.

lukeator

Nov 17, 2009
Bob, the reason nobody gives a shit about the space program anymore, is because it's a dead end. Think about the amount of effort it took just to send three people to the moon for a few hours. I love science fiction as much as the next man, but the key word here is 'fiction'. I wish mass effect and star trek could be a reality, but it's never going to happen.

Shakur Burton

Feb 23, 2011
It'll take Corporate Interest cooperation to get us in Space again...

Too bad we'll all be slaves to them for not fighting back against them...

It's all the Multinationals/Corporate Interests/Greedy Wealthy Elite's fault shit like this is going down. and even if we won today, there would still be no money to do this until years and decades of prosperity and progress pass...

everyday, for things like this to better America, No - HUMANITY ITSELF, I shout, "REVOLUTION"!!!

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
It's very easy to understand where you're coming from but think about it for a minute, ok say the world stops spending money on space exploration for 10 or 15 years ... that's a long time, and alot can happen in that time.
I just think it would be better if the world was in a position where it could focus a majority of our funding into more productive things like space, so think .. hunger, war, disease, economy and all those other issues we really need to focus on right now.

What if in 10, 15 years on focusing on nothing but the problems within our own atmosphere we finally find a way to make things better, If that does happen then not only will we be in a position where we can spend more money than before on space travel/exploration but science would've progressed ALOT in that time ... more theories, better technology, a better overall understanding of physics itself .. we don't know what the hell we'll discover in the next 10-15 years, all i know is that we need to focus on ourselves for a while.

If we send people into space those brave souls are entitled to the worlds undivided attention and support ... because not only are they putting themselves in an extremely vunerable position and risking dying in one of the worst ways possible for the sake of science, but everything they discover won't only benifit their nation .. but humanity as a whole, imagine we sent huge teams into space with funding and support from every nation, Isn't that alot better than sending people up on a budget and deadline? and what if the nation breaks out into war while he's up there? ... who's gonna get him back?

"err ... this is euston, is this the kremlin? ... yeaaaaah ... i was hoping you guys could help me out ... hello?? ... hello?"

VaughanyT

May 30, 2008
People who say Britain might do something in space:
Yeah, if we had the money ourselves! Our Space Program consists of a toy rocket with a camera on in idustrial site in Kent! China probably has the better chance than anyone at the moment.

IrishNinja

Mar 16, 2011
I too still look up at the stars and wonder at the possibilities; and dream about the adventures that are yet to be had out there. However, I do not look up at the stars and "see the future" as you put it Bob, but only cos that's physically impossible-when I look up I see the past because of all the time that's past since that light first started travelling towards my awe-struck eyes. lol
Keep ranting and dreaming Bob-maybe one day they'll send you out into the cosmos (if only to stop you from pointing out their idiocies)

Peace & Love man :)

Chard6

Mar 17, 2009
I think the biggest loss was Nasa's ability to inadvertantly invent new technologies which enriches our everyday lives with the backing of government funding, some small commercial examples off the top of my head, re-hyrated foods and memory foam. They could easily patent new technlologies and actually attempt to make a government profitable.

NightRavenGSA

Apr 12, 2011
Bob: Renew funding for the space program, HAL
HAL: I'm sorry Dave.... er Bob. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Bob: [expletive deleted], HAL
HAL: Look Bob, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

On a side, or rather main note, I feel the same way as you do, it pisses me the frak off too.

Kakujin

Oct 19, 2008
Regarding the choice between world peace and cities on Mars, I do not see you as the bad guy for picking cities on Mars. I do have to question why though. What purpose do cities on Mars serve?

GrimSheeper

Jan 15, 2010
Out there, maybe an hour with the car, if it could drive straight up, lies a black void...at first glance. What I see when I look to the stars is our future. I see a challenge. I see The limitations our cradle put on our advancement as a species and I do not approve of these limits. I'll never stop dreaming of a life among the stars...and I see how many of our problems, our understanding of ourselves and the very meaning of life and the universe cannot be found here on earth. There is an infinity of worlds out there, endless resources and energy for millions of years. It would take us longer than a generation, maybe some centuries, but we would be all the richer for it. No more overpopulation as there's endless room, no more famines once we master orbital agriculture. With deeper understanding of the laws of the Universe, we could become like gods, creating and shaping matter from pure energy. And what's stopping us?
Money. Money and the complacency that we're in a Status Quo already. A status that is not perfect, but at least most of us can survive and a few even thrive. But why not give everyone a chance to be everything he could be?
We must go out there, beyond the safety of our atmosphere like the explorers of old. Like the Phonecians, the Vikings, Magellan, we have to go and best the void between worlds, for what we would find there should reward us more than any cost it took to get there. Not just in a metrial way. We would become better as a species. We'd take the next step forward. We would evolve.

And I think that it's that part about life, improving and evolving, that makes it worth living.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Do you think Bob knows about the mission to Mars that's been planned, joint USA and Russian mission, 2037 iirc? Regardless the 500 day trip experiment (seeing if the trip is manageable by getting people to sit in a shuttle for the journey there and back, they got to walk on red sand for a bit at the other end ;D) is almost over and looks good.

I think Bob is being unrealistic here, the funding is huge and we don't have the money to manage it very well, the mission to Mars is a distinct possibility and there are several incoming innovations regarding fuel consumption (as in, getting rid of liquid fuel in order to use lasers to superheat air to plasma for takeoff and having only a little fuel in order to move in space) which may make things more viable.
Until they come through or the world brightens up a bit though the space race is gonna be a bit slow for a while. We're still dreaming of reaching the stars, we just have to finish our day jobs first.

Beesejar

May 17, 2011
On this subject I guess the space program is to expensive to be continued at the time, America will eventually get back into space within the next decade or when the global economic crisis is sorted out but it is just my thought