The Big Picture: Once Upon a Time in The Future

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
It makes me sad to hear that there wont be a real effort to move to space. I mean, I remember when everyone said going to a new planet as the last ditch effort if our planet went to shits. BUt its not even that. its more about how as a kid I read about going to space, and now its just not happening. Or doesnt seem like it at least.

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
I am ashamed.. I hadn't known about this until now :( This just goes to show that I don't pay nearly enough attention to the news as I should... But yeah.. The loss of the US space program is a terrible one.. And one that makes me ashamed to be an American..

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
I was under the impression the only thing being stopped was the shuttles being sent to the moon. I mean, we have been there tons of times before and there isnt anything new coming from up there. And Nasa essentially needs newer fuels and to find faster ways to travel to get further into space. So Nasa isnt just not gonna be around, they are going to keep things grounded while we figure out what the truck were doing up there, rather than putsing around picking up moon rocks...

or so i heard from someone...

Arella18

Apr 22, 2009
I agree with you completely however...its for a different reason...when this earth finally topples and humanity needs to escape it...where'll we go...if we don't get colonization or terraforming...we're pretty much screwed.

Bureaucromancer

Jan 28, 2010
Aulleas123 said:
Something else to chew on: I wonder if, before 1920, people ever had thoughts that journeys through the air would be privatized? Ok, most probably did, but I'm sure that some people believed that such was impossible and that it would be a disaster if anything but a federal government facility is responsible for mass transit above the clouds. Sure, today we have oversight with airport communications and the military air force, but it's still United, Continental, and Southwest that bring us from place to place.

Couldn't it be true for space as well?
Who said private investment was bad? But I don't see any of those private investors going to Mars, hell, they're barely even talking about the moon. They also aren't talking about anything like pure science missions, and certainly not purely exploratory work. How long would it have taken to settle North America without purely exploratory voyages, funded by guess who, the crown. We'll go to space with private money when there is money to be made, but there won't be money to be made until we explore, and actually know how to operate in space.

This only sounds like a chicken egg problem. We know the answer, and we solved it for satellites, and for exploring the planet we live on. Nothing is different about deep space exploration, some things need the government to do them, not because no one else can, or ever will, but because no one else can do it first, with no immediate expectation of financial return.

CINN4M0N

Jan 31, 2010
Yeah Bob, but's the opinion of a man who still has a job, and gets paid to go to the movies. I think you'll find the millions of people who are struggling for the bare necessities will have prioritised a little differently.

Jangles

Mar 12, 2010
Two real reasons space is no longer a priority..

1. It isn't an issue about general welfare anymore, it is about the trillions of dollars of debt the USA is in.

2. No "evil Soviets" around to "beat."

If your argument really looked at the big picture then you would argue that the real disgrace is that all of western society, including the USA, is just too complacent to get hyped about anything as epic as sending humans to Mars. Eastern society is on the upswing and they are going through the same phases as the post-war allied nations.

Gmosphere

Feb 23, 2010
i'm with bob hell i'm gonna make my own space program and a man into space even if it means getting em their in a V-2 rocket

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Sigh.

The fucked up thing is, the space race? Brought us most of the foundation of all the really awesome technology we use today.

jtiberiusk

Sep 15, 2008
Hey Bob,

As a student of physics and astrophysics, I feel for you. I too grew (and am still, to an extent, growing) up with Captains Kirk, Picard, Janeway, Sisko, Archer, Kirk (again), Hari Seldon, Ford Prefect, and Zaphod Beeblebrox, and would love to venture forth into the final frontier within my lifetime. Part of the problem is that the scientific community as a whole doesn't see much worth in it. The conception and experimentation of General Relativity, Hawking radiation, Standard Model, and even the principles that allowed us to launch the rockets and shuttles were all carried through to their logical conclusion (or at least their practical conclusion) on Earth or without much human intervention in space. Most of the enlightening data doesn't need human involvement to be gathered, here or in space. To be honest, it never really was pertinent to have humans venture forth scientifically speaking. It was mostly a PR/nationalism campaign, an attempt to get our parents to embrace America and embrace science. Perhaps fortunately, the PR of the scientifically community today (as weak as it is) is more focused on the wonder of science and the world that rational reasoning can provide. That, I believe, is a more accurate and secure way of bringing science to the public in lieu of instilling delusions of becoming an astronaut.

The more pressing problem is that American society's interest in science has waned heavily. Without an intellectual foe for us to fear and conquer and with trivial inconsequences like physical attractiveness, wealth, and fame being our incentives, we really have no interest in pursuing scientific endeavors. Perhaps it has always been like this (the nerd stereotype has existed for a while and is still, on the whole, accepted) and we were momentarily relieved of it, or perhaps it is a new phenomenon. It is a problem, however, and I personally would like to hear your take on this similar-yet-more-general topic next week. Anyway, done pontificating.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
I hear yah Bob. I think a part of the decline in interest is the advent of the net. With that perpetual universe of information at their fingertips, people are spending time exploring in ways that are relevant to their own lives. Space travel/exploration/colonization won't become a big deal until my kids' kids have to start dragging comets into orbit to supplement Earth's exhausted fresh water. *wink*

tamerman

Jul 17, 2009
to be fair i lost all hope in NASA when the ydecided to eject hydrogen into space insted of packing it up into fuel cells and beinging it back down to earth to power eco-freindly hydrogen cars.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
that's right bob, fuck all of those resources we need, and the fact that we wouldn't be able to keep the project going too long before running out of those same resources, not to mention all of that money that they could be spending on developing better technology or using to help others, we don't need that.

bob, why does this mean so much if anything? we don't need to explore space, we have plenty of undiscovered fronts on earth, mybe if you read any article recently in the escapist you would see new technology prospects looming up.

Edit: I made this post while watching the video and getting as far as I could before it pissed me off, after watching the rest of the video, WHY THE FUCK WOULD WE TRY TO GO SOMEWHERE WE CAN'T POSSIBLY REACH YET BOB? We don't have any way of terraforming mars, we don't have any way of reaching another habitable planet within our lifetime, and we don't have the technology and resources to get there through any failed attempts! Not to mention you parade writers (good writers) around as if they could have magically solved this problem already. You might as well call this show "From only one angle."

Another Edit: This is just sad, I was reading these comments, there are people here who are worse than bob, I guess all of the people who can think up multiple angles on one subject have already left, as will I, goodbye bob, you used to be great, when will somebody once mighty stop falling?

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Spending billions of dollars on space exploration is less important than many projects that could be funded to help us now, and not theoretically help us in X years.

Yes boohoo, we'd all like to go into space, but it's just not that important.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Very true. I for one only heard about this last space shuttle launch today. That's twenty three days after it's happened. My countries media is more obsessed with X-Factor (think American Idol, only more dumbed down and homogeonised, it's like a great heaping gloop of terrible) than with anything relevant.

I'm not sure what pisses me off more. The fact that I won't be seeing attempts at Mars colonisation in my lifetime, or the fact that I only heard about the last space shuttle launch through the opinion vlog of a man who writes for a gaming website.

Either way - humanity be fucked.

I'm willing to put good money on Richard Branson or his company being the first to send people up to colonise the moon. Seems like the sort of thing he'd be into.

Although I have my doubts about a ship called the Virgin Enterprise, sounds more like a dating website for lonely losers.