The Big Picture: Once Upon a Time in The Future

Jacob Haggarty

Sep 1, 2010
One more thing, (i promise not as large as my previos comment) why does everyone assume that aliens will be technologically superior? or have aburning desire to kill us? Hell, they might actually be on par with us, using weapons similar to ours, OR they might have laser weapons and space travel, but might be fasinated by the idea of say cutlery or other sciency things that we have that they dont.

Im just saying, maybe they would be worse of than us, or on par.

Of course, there IS always the possibilty that they WILL try and exterminate us. With laser guns and space ships and such.

Always room for argument...

Alias42

Sep 10, 2009
I understand your desire to want to live in Star Wars more then in the real world. I'm also glad that most politicians don't share that dream.

RickD3487

Apr 5, 2010
@cathou

I can think of nothing more terrifying than TERRORISTS (ists...ists...ists) IN (in...in...in) SPACE (space...space...space)

Of course there is one major hurdle to an islamic nation going orbital. In space facing towards the holy city can get tricky.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
In my view it's because the Cold War ended. When America had no more major competition there was no need to keep going to prove something.

Granted people will mention China but as we know they're no where near in the same political boat as the Soviet Union was.

Vetinarii

Aug 17, 2009
One reall problem... Calcium leaking... bones can't cope with the low gravity on the moon... or on the way to Mars... Yeah so when ever they think of doing this those that go up will never be able to come back down...

mic1402

Oct 30, 2010
Vetinarii said:
One reall problem... Calcium leaking... bones can't cope with the low gravity on the moon... or on the way to Mars... Yeah so when ever they think of doing this those that go up will never be able to come back down...
there is a reason for astronauts being REALLY fit you know. what do you think the point of the ISS was?

Vetinarii

Aug 17, 2009
messy said:
The Stonker said:
messy said:
In my opinion the age of space exploration is over. The new science frontier, in my heavily biochemistry studying view, is the human genome and genetic technology. Look at a DNA molecule, that's the future.

EDIT: also giving a highly biased view of "scientists" not all of us work on making your ipods smaller. That's the fields of physics (and even then not all of physics anyway.)

2000th post as well. Rather glad it was biology themed.

You should be ashamed.
For if space is the final frontier, the big end which never ends, utopia.
For in space then you can find everything and anything, space is where almost all fields of science come and go hand in hand.
I personally love biology, but what will happen when we will have overpopulated the world and we need a new place to live on? Well...To space! But unfortunetly the nation which has the best scientists,research and such, just decided to cancel the project.
I would have cancelled loads of other things instead, to research space travel.
Yes, I love space and all science.
Ashamed? I don't think so.

Yes space is a very nice dream. But with the way things are its just not plausible at the moment. Over population I imagine was going to get to us long before we have sustainable bases on places like Mars. The distance alone makes any sort of mission. Also if we keep thinking "on to the next planet" why would we bother looking after this one? I prefer a much more sustainable living philosophy.
You should be ashamed...Biology isn't a real subject... Also... we should be putting more effort into designing bigger weapons and fighting wars to keep the population down... SRS FACE GUYS

Now in fact I want to ask what make DNA the future? I see GM as a good thing WHICH WE CAN DO ALREADY! But what else are we really looking at? The future is not really likely to be DNA is it?

mic1402 said:
Vetinarii said:
there is a reason for astronauts being REALLY fit you know. what do you think the point of the ISS was?
Yeah but the more time spent the less likely the trip back will succeed.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
ironlordthemad said:
And now in my eyes Bob is a bigger, more selfish ass than before.
Seriously?
Your pissed that they are cutting the funding for a Space Program that has been in decline for a while now and has directly cost the lives of several of of your fellow human beings, so they can use the money where it will be needed in the future.
I wonder if you will have the same viewpoint if the economy of the US goes right in the shitter, causing various companies, say for example The Escapist, to fire their employees and then suddenly your out of a job because Obama put more money into sending someone into space than into fixing the economy. I doubt it.
Keeping a failing space program running is not the responsible thing to do in a global recession.

The most annoying thing about this is that your being stupidly short sighted. Your a child in his high chair looking at the candy and saying "I WANT IT NOW!" when your parents are struggling to put the potatoes on the table to keep you healthy because they can't afford it. They didn't say, "No thats it forever, no more space travel."
They simply said "We don't want to burn the cash right now, others can pick it up later if the time is right."
Getting through the boring potatoes will make the sweet candy all the tastier and it's why grown ups order the main course of the meal first. Hopefully some day you'll be able to sit at the grown up table, but with each hate speech you post I realise we wil be waiting a while longer for you to pull up a chair, which is a shame, because when you open your mind to a serious discussion, your a great champion of logic and reason.

So how about growing up Bob?
Grow up and get over your childhood, like other healthy adults, no one has a perfect childhood but we get over it as we grow up, its part of being an adult. Granted, some have have more to get over than others, but the ones that do get over it have a better life because of it.
Grow up and get over your idea of walking on Mars because you saw it in a movie as a kid and it was your only escape from your childhood.

Even if your going to claim that your childhood was darker and more traumatic than anyone can possibly imagine, do you really think you should be in the public eye giving out your opinion which has obviously been warped by your childhood?

Your fellow humans are dying of disease and famine all across the planet you share with them. Surely a narcissist like you would want to be the better man, rise above those that made your childhood your personal hell and make the planet a better place. But no, you just have your selfish dream and you are less of a person because of it. And you think you can just blow it off because people were a dick to you as a kid and now you think its your turn to get even?

Part of me hopes this video is a joke.
Really now, that is just childish. Are you done being stupid? Yes? Great.

What's a bigger waste of cash? The $18 billion NASA was allocated, or the $1 Trillion allocated to the American military? And while we're discussing money, do you know how much vital infrastructure $1 trillion could build? How many starving people that money could feed? I did some quick math and the answer is a lot.

You are aware that things developed for the space program make their way into normal, everyday use? Have you ever watched TV through a satellite connection? Have you ever used a cordless tool, or played a game using some form of joystick? Do you drink softdrink from plastic bottles? All those things came about because of the space program.

You mention Disease and Famine in your rant. Do you know how many lives have been bettered, and in some cases saved, due to medical advances brought about by this "selfish dream"?

Laser Angioplasty, Programmable Pacemakers, Ocular Screening, Voice Controlled Wheelchairs, Arteriosclerosis detection, Ultrasound Scanners, Automatic Insulin Pumps, Portable X-rays, Invisible Braces, Dental Arch Wire, Palate Surgery Technology, Clean Room Apparel, Implantable Heart Aids, MRI's, Bone Analyzers and Cataract Surgery Tools. That's the short list.

Shall I list the benefits to farming, processing, packing and manufacturing that came out of the space program? Cause that list is even longer.

This is called "The Big Picture", not "Ironlordthemad looks at the world through blinkered glasses." The big picture is that there have been vast benefits to mankind from attempting to explore space, and there is no reason to believe that more benefits wont occur just because you think the space program is a waste of money.

Aulleas123

Aug 12, 2009
tokugawa98 said:
Aulleas123 said:
Something else to chew on: I wonder if, before 1920, people ever had thoughts that journeys through the air would be privatized? Ok, most probably did, but I'm sure that some people believed that such was impossible and that it would be a disaster if anything but a federal government facility is responsible for mass transit above the clouds. Sure, today we have oversight with airport communications and the military air force, but it's still United, Continental, and Southwest that bring us from place to place.

Couldn't it be true for space as well?
I have to admit that I am not sure about the US but afaik a lot of airlines were either government-owned or -subsidized. In fact, I seem to recall that United would be out of business if not for 9/11. And what you must not forget is that essentially the *entire* air travel infrastructure is publicly created. Also, how much aviation research was done purely by private companies and/or financed by private money? Lots come from publicly funded universities (or from government subsidies, directly as in EADS' case or indirectly as in Boeing's). So this whole thing about "privatized" air travel is a bit of a fake claim.
You have a point that the infrastructure is publicly built, which is what I loosely mentioned. However almost any form of transportation is going to have some privatization along with public oversight. My whole point is that the public side is not doing so hot right now, so it would not be unreasonable for private business to pick up the pieces. Sure, it'll need public oversight, I'd be alarmed if it didn't. But every truck on the road and airplane in the air is not government owned, most of these are owned through businesses.

Also, you make a claim about research and development, I'm pretty sure that Boeing is not publicly owned. Their whole thing is creating innovation from aviation research. Some of which would be federally funded through contracts, however much of it is done through private means as well.

Air travel is a combination of necessary public oversight along with private innovation. I believe that space travel will be the same thing. After all, Chewie and Han didn't fly on a government owned starship, did they?

Jacob Haggarty

Sep 1, 2010
dathwampeer said:
Jacob Haggarty said:
One more thing, (i promise not as large as my previos comment) why does everyone assume that aliens will be technologically superior? or have aburning desire to kill us? Hell, they might actually be on par with us, using weapons similar to ours, OR they might have laser weapons and space travel, but might be fasinated by the idea of say cutlery or other sciency things that we have that they dont.

Im just saying, maybe they would be worse of than us, or on par.

Of course, there IS always the possibilty that they WILL try and exterminate us. With laser guns and space ships and such.

Always room for argument...
We've only got our behaviour as a parallel to judge what another sentient lifeforms actions might be, if they came in contact with us. We're anything but altruistic and while that doesn't mean that's true for all possible intelligent life. It is a good estimate.

Truth be told. If they are anything like us. They would see our species as a possible threat. And exterminate us before that threat is realised. Or maybe they'd be more like the creatures in skyline. Using life as energy and material to power their armies. They may of-course be non-hostile. But if that's true. They'd probably avoid us all together.

Also. If they've managed to reach our planet from another galaxy. Then they have to be far more technologically advanced than us. It takes us years to plan for a moon trip.

No one says all life has to be more advanced. But if they reach us. It's a given.
You are assuming of course that it is they who reach us. And as flawed as humans are, we arent THAT bad. People again seem to think that we as humans are programed to kill on sight, which simply isnt true. OK as humans we've done bad stuff to each other, but we dont constantly set out to inflict pain or misery on one and other. Have a bit of faith. Also, judging our behaviour is by no means an accurate measure of another lifeforms. What i think you mean is its the easiest to relate to.

myxomitosis87

Jul 6, 2009
Don't worry Bob, space exploration will come around again! And while we're waiting there's a whole lot of cool sciency stuff to screw around with!

Like genetic engineering and that huge particle accelerator and all the advances in health and umm...new Iphone Apps and HDTVs and 3DTVs and HD3DTVs.

Let's face it we're too lazy and too occupied with our new toys to give a shit about anything else.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
dathwampeer said:
Truth be told. If they are anything like us. They would see our species as a possible threat. And exterminate us before that threat is realised. Or maybe they'd be more like the creatures in skyline.
Wait, did you just bring up skyline as a noteworthy example?

Ewww!

LoL

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Space Exploration isn't dying because of it's Price tag! Space Exploration is dying because we don't NEED to explore space now. (for the record, it literally hurts me to say that since i call myself a sci-fi geek, but that is the truth.) we don't NEED to go to Mars until Earth is 50 Years away from being a Dead planet. and on that day, NASA will cook up a plan to send people to Mars in, not 20, but 5 years. There's just no benefit, or 'reason' to do it now. It's understandable.....and it sucks but what're you gonna do, right?