The Big Picture: Once Upon a Time in The Future

Dec 14, 2009
smiles said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Bad move America, looks like it's up to Britian and the space S.A.S. to discover Prothean technology on mars. Don't worry, we'll share the discovery... for a price.
the space S.A.S. indeed, captain price, the firs man on mars...
Not quite, his moustache got there first...

NiPah

May 8, 2009
These are some pictures I took of the last "Night launch" with my cell phone. I'm about 50 miles away, and I can actually hear the roar of the shuttle when it launches.

Space Shuttle Mission: STS-130
Endeavour is in Orbit

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/MrKitties/0208000411.jpg
(This was right before the launch)
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/MrKitties/0208000414.jpg
(The glow on the horizon as the clouds North East of me are lit up)
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/MrKitties/0208000414a.jpg
(This is the first picture of the actual shuttle)
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/MrKitties/0208000414b.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/MrKitties/0208000415.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/MrKitties/0208000415a.jpg
(This is a little bit later, as the rocket moved away)
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/MrKitties/0208000416.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/MrKitties/0208000416a.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/MrKitties/0208000416b.jpg
(You can actually see the two side external tanks breaking off in this shot)
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/MrKitties/0208000416c.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/MrKitties/0208000419.jpg
(This is as the rocket moved over the Northern horizon)

Maxi-005

Jan 25, 2010
About this example with Gienie...
I would choose peace on earth
Why?
I LOVE the idea of space exploring, unfortunatelly this isn't going to help those people in North Korea, who're eating grass and dying in concentration camps right now. Also it's very likely that the same mess we have here on earth, will be shifted on another planets AND THAT would be a bulls**t. :-/
Think about that... With a world peace, we would be truly united, so with a common work and engagement, we would COLONIZE our galaxy IN NO TIME

Rez Guy

Apr 27, 2009
I Don't think u should be talking about a game u have never played.
The Covenit at trying to kill of the human race, so we have to fight off when ever attacks us.
The Eyes turning blue is a computer system, and blue is the lest bights color.
There are only so much of a personality u can have, Would u rater have the Girl be all nice a sweet, the Big Old Guy be a hard ass, NO u would criticizes on it no mater how they act.
There no diverse because only "Humans" are fighting the Covenit, no dogs, or lions.
U should stick to Movie, i like your Movie Reviews

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
Couldn't agree more Bob, I look up at the sky all the time and wonder what might be if we put more effort into it, instead of effort into making the next reality T.V. show or another round of sexual enhancement drugs for the obscenely elderly.

Sad, sad indeed. But you're not alone, I just think that we're in a country that doesn't care about lofty ideals and goals anymore.

PrometheanFlame

Mar 23, 2009
Bob,

Really? Peace on Earth or cities on Mars...and you choose Mars? Just...wow.

One of the most beautiful things about massive endeavors such as space exploration is the way it brings people together. It gives them a reason to set aside their differences and work together for a common goal. What do you think the astronauts themselves would say? "Hey, Buzz Aldrin. I know there's this whole Red Scare thing going on that has children hiding under their beds at night for fear of being dashed off the face of the Earth in a nuclear holocaust...but wouldn't it be really neato to go stand on the moon and swing a golf club around? I have a magic button right here that could put an end to the tension, paranoia, and specter of worldwide annihilation...but if you press it, you can just forget about planting that flag!" Do you REALLY think he'd be like, "Fuck everybody because I've had a bad run. Let them burn, for all I care. Let's light this candle! WOO!"

You make a point of highlighting how shallow and indifferent America has become...yet you're every bit as guilty and short-sighted as anyone you would jab your finger at. Yeah, space exploration has been put on the backburner. In case you haven't noticed, our economy isn't exactly thriving and we're hemorrhaging resources into a war against an IDEAL. Have you observed what happens any time somebody mentions raising taxes? The country shits its collective pants. Where's the money supposed to come from? Sacrifices have to be made. Yeah, I would rather see the war end than NASA lose funding, but that's just not how it played out. Does that mean America has written off space exploration altogether? If you really think that, you're as naive as you are childish.

Sheesh.

Dan Shook

Jul 7, 2010
I'm just saying as someone from Northern Alabama, Huntsville specifically, despite the fact most people don't know that the U.S. space program wouldn't have happened without Marshal space flight center's involvement, we're taking it pretty hard here. Huntsville is a town built on space, military, defense engineering, so that announcement was a kick in the gut to the entire city.

Aside from purely economic concerns though, I'm with you. We've explored most of the Earth, found most of its secrets, and as a species we need to stay occupied. Humans are at their best when investigating, exploring or killing each other, so it's probably smartest that we try to stay focused on the first two. I say we keep looking around, poking and prodding the stars, looking for new stuff and trying to figure out what we find, because otherwise we'll probably kill each other.

LittleChone

May 17, 2010
I wanna kick NASA, The US Congress, and Society-In-General in the balls. (Not the president, though-I'll save him for later.)

First they stop using Pluto as a planet, and now all hope for colonization on other planets has been kicked off for a few more centuries. Seriously, what excuses are there? My answer-there is none.

Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong future. We could've had a Utopian-Supercity on Jupiter, but nooooOOOOOOOooo, 9/11 had to happen!! Hell, I'd honestly prefer the post-apocalyptic future then this one: at least then life would feel a bit more important then it does sitting around at a school/job/ computer at home. Our future just sucks.

samonix

Nov 17, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Bad move America, looks like it's up to Britian and the space S.A.S. to discover Prothean technology on mars. Don't worry, we'll share the discovery... for a price.
The price of setting up a space program from scratch would be a good first bid.

samonix

Nov 17, 2009
PrometheanFlame said:
Bob,

Really? Peace on Earth or cities on Mars...and you choose Mars? Just...wow.

One of the most beautiful things about massive endeavors such as space exploration is the way it brings people together. It gives them a reason to set aside their differences and work together for a common goal. What do you think the astronauts themselves would say? "Hey, Buzz Aldrin. I know there's this whole Red Scare thing going on that has children hiding under their beds at night for fear of being dashed off the face of the Earth in a nuclear holocaust...but wouldn't it be really neato to go stand on the moon and swing a golf club around? I have a magic button right here that could put an end to the tension, paranoia, and specter of worldwide annihilation...but if you press it, you can just forget about planting that flag!" Do you REALLY think he'd be like, "Fuck everybody because I've had a bad run. Let them burn, for all I care. Let's light this candle! WOO!"

You make a point of highlighting how shallow and indifferent America has become...yet you're every bit as guilty and short-sighted as anyone you would jab your finger at. Yeah, space exploration has been put on the backburner. In case you haven't noticed, our economy isn't exactly thriving and we're hemorrhaging resources into a war against an IDEAL. Have you observed what happens any time somebody mentions raising taxes? The country shits its collective pants. Where's the money supposed to come from? Sacrifices have to be made. Yeah, I would rather see the war end than NASA lose funding, but that's just not how it played out. Does that mean America has written off space exploration altogether? If you really think that, you're as naive as you are childish.

Sheesh.
If this forum had a like button, i'd click yours. ;)

smileyboybob

Nov 14, 2007
Space travel is just a another extention of the capatalist mindset to waste resources. What MovieBob is endorsing is the idea that we go from planet to planet wasting resources and then moving on to the next one. While I do applaude the fact that he wants to make his dreams realities, it's sad that his dream is so destructive.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
Straight up BS dude. Cutting funds to the space program by a certain percentage. Fine. Gimme a decent excuse and I'm on board. But to straight up CANCEL that shit! I'm sorry but that's just not right. What was the fucking point of the past several decades if we're going to just come out and say, "I'm bored. Let's check out that thing over there!" like a fucking child!? *Sigh* America strikes again.

Digital_Hero

Jan 27, 2010
Bob, this is pretty much what happened to the space program. The cold war ended, and america's biggest, baddest enemy, Russia (USSR if you want to get historically accurate) just either ran out of resources or focused on other things besides competing with the states for space.

So where does that leave America, where (or more accurately, when) "men were men, women were women" and the country had something it wanted to hit first? Honestly, the states have never cared more about space travel then when their ideological arch nemesis got curious about what might be up there. Russia see's whats up, seems satisfied, and just sits back to let America piss all over them, in a figurative sense, with the moon landing and mars missions and whatever else.

In short though, I think its summed up by this. They don't have anyone to 1-up now. There is no big contest for whoever has the bigger dick, like in the cold war. Now, there is simply no one to show off to, no world that needs to impressed. Sure they explored for a few years after that, then came other presidents who were more content to do other things, such as nothing. Now they have no purpose to get into space, if no one wants to beat them to it. And by no one, I mean Russia, and with an american president that doesn't want to be outdone in a pissing contest for mars.

Jul 9, 2010
:O Awww man! Now I'm upset.
The worst part is I read that in our present state of technology, if we started right now, we could have Mars terraformed by 2100. I was so excited when I read that. I really love space, I don't want it to be given up on and I certainly don't want to end up taking the USS Mountain Dew to Planet Microsoft or the Starbucks nebula.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Darks63 said:
The main problm with cities on Mars Bob is we lack terraforming technology to make Mars and the Moon places worth living on. Overall I share ur regret over humanity seeming to be in a tech slump where we try to make a ever cooler cell phones while other dream techs get no time. Sadly much like before we probably need a war to galvenize tech to go forward again, as long as its not nuclear.
We don't need to terraform. The planet has an atmosphere already, thin but not a vacuum, we just need more Oxygen. Drop a few domes to control O2 and CO2 levels and start building facilities to harvest and process the raw resources to manufacture more domes. The biggest issue is even if the whole of the polar region is water [ice] we would need to relocate it to the equator region where we would be building settlements. Water would be required for food production as well as needed for any industrial processes.

The war will come from the shortage of raw processing materials. The moon will never be a viable option because is it's just rock, there was never any volcanic activity, that we know of, to cycle heavy metals to the surface. We will need Mars for potential sources of gold, silver, palladium, uranium, iron, aluminum, platinum,... basically everything with atomic weight over 20, we're even running out of processable helium resources.

Scientist like to through out asteroid mining as a resource venture but the logistics of landing, collecting, and leaving within our travel range will never be a possibility, unless we have a way to stop asteroids.