The Big Picture: Original Geek Girl

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Ah PeeGee, DC's answer to Deadpool. It's kinda hard not to love her, despite her pretty goofy design with the boob window.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I'm still reading the New 52 reboot of Supergirl I really like it. It's probably my favourite after Batman's court of owls storyline.

I used to have a Supergirl costume when I was little. It was awesome. I did accidentally run head first into a rosebush once while wearing it and end up in the hospital though... :s

Meanwhile at the Legion of Doom! Bob, Grey and Jim co-ordinate a fake geek girl week.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
FelixG said:
Watched about the first third and skipped the rest, you are a bit late on this one bob
Since the actual episode was about Supergirl and Bob just set up the entire beginning as a segue, maybe you should've watched the entire thing.

OT: Comics sure are weird. Biggest reason I've found that I can't follow them. The continuity is just too convoluted for me.

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
well.....i think maybe there are some "fake geek girls", but why do we care anyway?? as long as they are cosplaying the character the right way i don't see any problem....

On topic! YES!!! Power Girl !!! it's my 2nd favorite dc character xD just a little bit behind Batman, she's a great character such a complex story !, or at least had, i'm not liking the new 52 version of her... or hew new suit, i also thought huntress had a better origin the whole mafia stuff gave her a more dark background but i'll wait to see it things shape up XD anyway ill just leave this here....

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
FelixG said:
Watched about the first third and skipped the rest, you are a bit late on this one bob
Not sure if you noticed, but after a point he drops the hot topic "geek girl" controversy and goes into the meat of this video, which is like a chronology of Superwoman from conception to her current incarnations. The subject is vaguely related to the geek girl trend, so he felt like weighing in on it briefly, but the rest of the video is far removed from the heat of that topic.

It's going to be a multi-episode feature, so if you want to follow subsequent Big Pictures you should give the rest of the video a shot.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Comics Are Weird!

Pause at 3:15 on Legion of Superheroes two-page spread.

Look just left of center right above Sun Boy's (the red and yellow guy with a sun on his chest) right thigh. There, mostly obscured behind the silver pedestal, is a familiar red and blue costume. That's right, 1000-yr old Marvel character Spiderman photobombs DC's Legion of Superheroes. Nice going webhead.

I remember doing a double take on that spread ~25 years ago.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
Hehe, that horse just headbutted Superman. If only it were a unicorn.....Kryptanis the Super Unicorn. I'm not sure where this train of thought is going.....all aboard!

Matthewmagic

Feb 13, 2010
Murlin said:
Does anyone ever get the feeling this whole "fake geek girl" and "booth babes need to go away" bullsh!t is just basically people trying to be (for lack of a better term) politically correct by (acting as if they are)attempting to root the sexism out of geek culture, without losing any of the sexy that comes with it?
If this is the case, you have to wonder if they are aware that the premise is fundamentally sexist.

OP: Another great "Comics are weird" episode. super girl's history is one of those things I never touched because I didn't know what to make of her. It is kinda awesome to see a history on her.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Clankenbeard said:
Comics Are Weird!

Pause at 3:15 on Legion of Superheroes two-page spread.

Look just left of center right above Sun Boy's (the red and yellow guy with a sun on his chest) right thigh. There, mostly obscured behind the silver pedestal, is a familiar red and blue costume. That's right, 1000-yr old Marvel character Spiderman photobombs DC's Legion of Superheroes. Nice going webhead.

I remember doing a double take on that spread ~25 years ago.

Yeah, good spot. It's literally just his right arm and torso. That's pretty funny. There is a lot of red and blue on display, but that pattern is very distinctive.

I love these kind of cameos.

EDIT: Is that batman on the far left? Just poking up over the shoulder of another character?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Hm...I wonder if I'm about to regret saying this, but here we go. My 'problem' with "Fake Geek Girls" isn't that they're being fake, or that they're pretty (seriously, pretty is always a win for me). It's that I get excited about talking to them, but as soon as I start asking them questions--What did you think of the story? How'd you get past this part? Are you excited about this?--I start getting blank stares and general answers that are used to cover up the fact that they don't know, when a minute earlier they were acting like they understood. So I get a little depressed because I was looking forward to having a conversation about something that I really like talking about. Now, if the girl admits that she doesn't know that much about whatever (game, comic, book, universe) but still enjoys it, I'm fine with that. And if she wants to learn more about it, I'm perfectly happy to show her around. I just don't like getting my hopes up about talking about Star Wars or Mass Effect in detail, only to find out that the person, be it girl or guy, doesn't have the depth of knowledge I was lead to believe they had. Does that make sense?

Anyway, on to Supergirl. I've always liked her more than Superman. Heck, I've always liked ALL the younger heroes more than their mentors. The reason being exactly what Bob said: They're allowed to screw up, to change, to DIE--as tragic as that is. The originals can die, but they always come back (or never died in the first place). They always come out on top, they always overcome whatever is thrown at them. Cool to watch and read, but after a while it's no longer thrilling. It's not like that with the younger heroes. As Bob said, Supergirl acts like a teenager instead of the straight arrow Superman is, and it's that reason that I enjoyed her being one of the main characters in Justice League Unlimited and was sad to see her go. Same with when she briefly joined the Teen Titans. I like my heroes to be flawed and at risk of actual death (good-bye Kid Devil) instead of what Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman go through.

On a side note, I just bought the Supergirl Kotobukiya statue. Very excited about that.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
The Gentleman said:
Wait, geek girls are a problem to some? Who are these misogynistic assholes who are complaining about this?

Also, the Superman-as-the-ultimate-good-guy has been kept around mostly. In fact, the modern Batman-Superman dynamic involves Superman as the upright good guy to the point of being compulsive (Batman's nickname for Superman? "Boy Scout") while Batman is a utilitarian guy who pretty much uses any means necessary (except for his few major rules, such as no killing) to get the job done.
Batman doesn't kill?

<url=http://www.cracked.com/article_20111_the-6-most-brutal-murders-committed-by-batman.html>You would be surprised.

In fact, he burns petty criminals and then have sex on top of them.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Hm...I wonder if I'm about to regret saying this, but here we go. My 'problem' with "Fake Geek Girls" isn't that they're being fake, or that they're pretty (seriously, pretty is always a win for me). It's that I get excited about talking to them, but as soon as I start asking them questions--What did you think of the story? How'd you get past this part? Are you excited about this?--I start getting blank stares and general answers that are used to cover up the fact that they don't know, when a minute earlier they were acting like they understood. So I get a little depressed because I was looking forward to having a conversation about something that I really like talking about. Now, if the girl admits that she doesn't know that much about whatever (game, comic, book, universe) but still enjoys it, I'm fine with that. And if she wants to learn more about it, I'm perfectly happy to show her around. I just don't like getting my hopes up about talking about Star Wars or Mass Effect in detail, only to find out that the person, be it girl or guy, doesn't have the depth of knowledge I was lead to believe they had. Does that make sense?
I think that makes perfect sense, and I agree. I have no problem when people are casually into anything and want to know more, but when you get someone like one of friends (a guy, for the record) who see's the Avengers and suddenly thinks he knows all about the characters (not the movie versions, as that would make sense if you watch the films) but he started acting like he knew all about the comics too, trying to correct me on some things...

My partner on the other hand, she's into some of the geeky stuff I'm into, but before she had met me, her DC knowledge was Batman the animated series, now she's read all kinds and we enjoy many discussions about games and comics etc. This was well before we got together too, and I have gone through with this for a few people now, introducing them to stuff. Had a Gandalf kind of an "all knowing" feeling about it (not that I know everything about anything, just the whole mentor feeling I get for a bit XD) and if more of us could be like that, then we wouldn't be dealing with this apparent "issue" anyway :)

As for Supergirl, my first experience with her was Crisis on Infinite Earths and man, was she awesome in that, so I look forward to learning more about a character I have limited knowledge of. After Crisis on Infinite Earths, my next bumping into the character wasn't until Superman/Batman Supergirl and I enjoyed that too.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
The fake geek girl can all be summed up into one universal idea. No one likes a poser.

While it's fine, in fact great if someone wants to get involved in a topic (in this case geek culture) and learn about it, that's awesome. However in any culture when you just walk in acting like you know it all, it turns off the people that actually are a part of that culture, and the person "posing" in that culture is obviously faking it.

It's ok to not be knowledgeable about something, someone wanting to learn what makes you tick is a great thing, but you can't just walk in and pretend to be an expert on the subject matter.

The other problem with fake geek girls is that they bring down the overall image of genuine geek girls because everyone starts to assume that any girl involved in geek culture is just pretending to fit into it. The stereotype is that there aren't any women interested in geek things (which is untrue), but pretty girls pretending to be into it, just discredit those who really are. Which is true for any topic, hell women interested in sports for that matter would be a great example too.

Personally if someone takes an interest in what you are interested in, let them embrace it and maybe find the same love for it that you have. But if you find out they are just pretending to you, that's not far removed from lying, and no one likes being lied to.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Stop.

No. Stop.

Stop it.

We don't care if someone wants to be a member of a fandom. We do care when it's a completely disingenuous attempt that completely misrepresents the underlying conditions that makes one a "nerd" or a "geek" and tries to pass off all the shit you ever put up with as a member of said group as either having never happened, or being somehow quaint. So in a very mild sense, that faux nerd is more or less one of the four horsemen for the entire subculture.

At the core of this you have a subculture that doesn't want this popularity creep from mainstream culture that is, at it's core, meant to make money, and little else. You have women who are basically humiliating themselves, whether they know it or not, in the name of this money- I'm going to doubt they see most of the profits anyways- because nerds became a marketable demographic.

This isn't unique to the nerd subculture. You can see it in any interest group that is largely dominated by one sex or the other.

Now piss off and never bring up this goddamn subject again Escapist.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Super Girl always seemed pretty plain and boring to me, I figured she was just Super Man but female but its nice to know the writers who created her at least gave her some more interesting stories besides "I'ma go punch this dood aw yeah!" lol

I too am still amazed the whole fake geek girl thing was an issue at all, like Bob says even if they are real how is that a bad thing? I mean I assume at least a few exist but they're hardly a dominant group I would think, especially since years of gaming as taught me their are plenty of girls playing games and the ratio of male - female is only getting more balanced which is effing awesome. While I haven't played World of Warcraft since early 2009 most of my more reliable friends in the game were in fact female, several of which I still maintain friendships with today.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Yeah, I was TOTALLY in sync with your view on the whole "Fake Nerd Girl" thing... I was like (the first time I heard this was a "thing"... "WTF? Weren't we supposed to be hella happy, that we ARE the mainstream? That WE are the standard? that WE took over? THat ALL they (the beautiful people) are now wanting to be part of OUR culture?" I still don't get it... it took us years, we finally took over the world... and now we don't want to let the people who can MORE APPROVE us being the majority in? that's just stupid... they now want to crown us, and we cast the crown out the window (not in a Christian way)? weird...

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
I haven't been following this "fake geek girl" thing and now I wish I still wasn't.

Also isn't Daverse the same last name as Ms. Marvel's alter ego?

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Question: will next week be all about Power Girl? I was kinda looking forward to a discussion of various interpretations of Supergirl outside of comics.