The Big Picture: Original Geek Girl

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Original Geek Girl

In this installment MovieBob shows us the creation of Supergirl.

Watch Video

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Excited to see where this run of videos takes us. I've never really known much about Supergirl outside of what happens in Bruce Timm's Superman:TAS and later Justice League. Thanks BOB!

Murlin

I came here to laugh at you
Jul 15, 2009
Does anyone ever get the feeling this whole "fake geek girl" and "booth babes need to go away" bullsh!t is just basically people trying to be (for lack of a better term) politically correct by (acting as if they are)attempting to root the sexism out of geek culture, without losing any of the sexy that comes with it?

Klaflefalumpf

Oct 3, 2010
So I have to ask: Seeing as my only knowledge of this apparent 'fake geek girl' thing comes from Jim/Bob/Critical Miss and I seem to have avoided seeing it anywhere else, just how deep is my head buried in the sand?

And I hadn't thought of using comics as a means to view societies view of women through the decades. Admittedly there are probably better ways of doing it but I'm definitely interested in seeing the next episode and having it summed up for me - I'm far too lazy to go back and read through sixty years worth of comics. I'll let Bob do it for me.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Wait, geek girls are a problem to some? Who are these misogynistic assholes who are complaining about this?

Also, the Superman-as-the-ultimate-good-guy has been kept around mostly. In fact, the modern Batman-Superman dynamic involves Superman as the upright good guy to the point of being compulsive (Batman's nickname for Superman? "Boy Scout") while Batman is a utilitarian guy who pretty much uses any means necessary (except for his few major rules, such as no killing) to get the job done.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009

This whole thing was started by the Mary sue blog and then got out of hand.

Look not every girl who enjoys geek culture or parts of it is not nessisarly a geek or a prented one who is trying to get attention. Its the same for guys as well.

However this whole anti fake geek girl thing proably steams from things like Booth babes or other host of geek related media who are there for sex appeal alone. Remeber when pax didnt allow booth babes or at least made them have to know about the game in question they were supporting. Same kind of idea.

Read the #1 on this list
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-awful-ways-internet-tainting-everything-else_p2/

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
This should be interesting. It's certainly one area where my own geeky knowledge falls short, so I look forward to being filled in; it sounds like a bit of culture history I should know about.

(Please, for the love of all that's good and holy, don't let this become another 700-plus post argument about the geek-girl thing...)

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
let not talk about fake geek girls i had enough of the topic.

i am interested in watching the rests of the parts to hear about the history of super girl and power girl
i have a mild curiosity of comics but i am not going to touch the convoluted mess that is comics with a ten foot pole

i will just stick with the tv shows like teen titans, justice league, and most currently young justice. recently i finished seeing all the released episodes now i wait for the mid-season hiatus to end. something big happen in the most recent episode but the hiatus left me hanging. it i kinda annoying

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I'll give my take on it at least.
I'm not afraid of people getting into my shit. I actually actively try to get people interested in my shit. My fantasies, the comics and books I like, the anime that I still like now that my demented otaku phase from high school is over. I enjoy introducing people to the stuff I like because I feel the stuff I like deserves to be liked and enjoyed by people.
The thing I hate is when stuff I like becomes a fad and people are into it because it's the "in thing" to be, and not for it's merits. This encourages garbage to be made in imitation of the stuff I like, but it ultimately shows how little it understands what's good about the stuff I like. I remember when the anime fad took over. Lots of people were going on about how into anime they were, but all they talked about was shit like Naruto, or stuff of similar quality. But you ask them about Mamoru Oshii or Hayao Miyazaki, or the people who have earned their places as the best in the industry and they know nothing about any of that, because they aren't really interested in anime, they just want to appear like they do because it's popular. It's all purely superficial.
Surely, you, Bob, understand that. I mean, look at what Hollywood trying to mainstreamize geek culture did to Star Trek.
But I take some comfort in knowing that fads come and go. Sooner or later, the vapid, identity-free populous will find something else they want to imitate. The poseurs will go away sooner or later, because they always do. BUT! Some people will stay, because, while they may have initially gotten into it for superficial reasons, some of them will find that they genuinely like the stuff and that's a net positive. Provided, of course, we don't frighten them off.
So, even though I find fake geeks (men and women, let's not kid ourselves by pretending that only the girls fake it) annoying, why are we not trying to bring them into our group? Nothing will scare the fakes away faster than us trying to get them interested in something that they'll quickly find they're not really interested in and, as a result of our trying, we'll bring new blood into the fold who may, as initial outsiders, have new ideas to lay on the table. That's a good thing, is it not?

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
Callate said:
(Please, for the love of all that's good and holy, don't let this become another 700-plus post argument about the geek-girl thing...)
Well this is the Escapist, and it is Bob. (Not saying I have a problem with him)

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Alright, I'm going to do this and probably end up getting banned for it, but I'll run it anyway.

1) Bob, have you ever considered that maybe this whole "fake geek girl" thing isn't directed at the women but the concept of what they are doing? Consider the fact that you have an entire subculture of people who for decades have been the butt of jokes, torment, and ridicule so much that we they made revenge movies for us, and now that said subculture is in the mainstream, they are not allowed to have some resentment towards people who are only getting into the scene to be "mainstream" and "with the times". You have said in your videos that you would side with Magneto if given super human abilities because of how you have been treated through life, yet you're ok with people coming and and simply pretending to like things? What if it was guys? My issue with it is that you're essentially white-knighting because these are women who are being "attacked". If it was guys, no one would turn a damn head.

2) Maybe the writers had supergirl getting into a number of social issues because, ya know, she's 15? That's what fifteen year old teenagers do, they get into trouble, over their head, test the waters etc. Again, not sexist, this is simply what happens.

There said my piece. Ban me, report me, do what you want, I won't be responding to this.

Hindkjar

May 1, 2012
As I find it, within the culture, the term "Nerd", or "Geek" is almost an achievement (And we know how much we love those). So when a hot/cute girl uses the term, what seems to be (in my interpetation) the respons from guys is basically:

"You didn't earn to call youself that! It takes years of social isolation, going through 1000 of episodes og crap anime, watching and quoting sci-fi movies from the 80's!!!"

I don't call myself a cheerleader because I have seen all the "Bring it on"-movies (yes all 5, start laughing), Also I'm a big guy. But I can cheer, and lead a crowd in cheering, so technically I do have the right to use that title about me.
I don't because that would mock the girls that use all their time training to be cheerleaders.

What it all comes down to is semantics. I like girls in geekculture, the more the merrier, but I do see why some people see the "fake-geek-girl" as condescending towards what they see as a title they have worked to earn.

My name is Casper, and that's the big comment ;)

Daikun

Mar 26, 2009
Kinda going off topic, don't you think?

You start off with a rant about people supposedly vying for attention, then switch gears to the origins of a comic book character.

nik3daz

Jan 1, 2008
My problem with fake geek girls is they get my hopes up for geeky conversation and then dash them quite expertly. Outward appearance becomes harder to use as a cultural identifier. I like showing my stuff to other people, but I go to geeks to GET shown stuff.

Also, isn't that kind of "image for the sake of fitting in" thing completely antithetical to the idea of integrity....? Don't know what bob was getting at there.

Eh, all in all, authenticity of character is not a new problem. I reckon people have a right to annoyed that people are wearing the label before having the substance.

EDIT: Why is it chicks? Probably because they're rarer in gaming culture? There's more disappointment when the label is a facade and it makes it more difficult to find women who actually play games (unfortunately, in my experience, like male geeks, the girls seem to tend to be the quiet types so they're harder to run into).

Invadergray

Oct 17, 2011
zombie711 said:

Look not every girl who enjoys geek culture or parts of it is not nessisarly a geek or a prented one who is trying to get attention. Its the same for guys as well.

However this whole anti fake geek girl thing proably steams from things like Booth babes or other host of geek related media who are there for sex appeal alone. Remeber when pax didnt allow booth babes or at least made them have to know about the game in question they were supporting. Same kind of idea.

Read the #1 on this list
\

zombie711 said:

Read the #1 on this list
But they're just actors. Instead of going after the girls, you need to go after the men who put her there. Those marketing execs (who are largely male) are the ones who are hijacking the culture to turn a profit, not the girls themselves.