The Big Picture: Orphan, Black? - A Look At The New Annie

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Orphan, Black? - A Look At The New Annie

Bob takes a look at the new Annie musical, and the history of the franchise.

Watch Video

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Not gonna lie, the Ovaltine joke nearly killed me...

Honestly my first reaction was "Did the world really need a remake of Annie? Ah well... okay... whatever...not really my kind of movie no matter who they cast in it."

abort_user

Aug 4, 2009
one of your best ones Bob. i dont normally comment on your videos but i just had to say that.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
"Remember to drink your ovaltine? A crummy commercial? SON OF A *****!"

*ahem*

I kinda wanna see a movie where Annie gets air dropped into some worn torn country to take out some terrorists now. Just sayin'.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
A part of me knows they'll steer clear of this, but I really want a commentary on the dynamics of money and politics and the need for the wealthy to be more engaged with the lower classes and to not treat the poor as a invasive species.

pluizig

Jan 11, 2010
Disappointed this BP was not actually about Orphan Black. Has Bob already said something about that? Or was that Film Crit HULK?

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I'm guessing no weirdness either. The original Land of Oz books were full of weirdness like girls being transformed into boys and back again [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Ozma], but the 1940 Judy Garland film has pretty much cemented that presentation of Oz in the mass culture. So instead of mining Baum's 18 or so Oz books, which are all public domain now, Disney instead puts out a completely new film channelling the 1940 movie.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Hmm....is it me or do I see Roll from that comic book artwork of her?

I wonder if megaman creators were fans of that series lol.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
pluizig said:
Disappointed this BP was not actually about Orphan Black. Has Bob already said something about that? Or was that Film Crit HULK?
Thought so for a split second until I read the rest of the title. Ah well. Hey isn't the second season airing soon?

OT: I actually liked the "Benjamin Warbucks" pun. So incredibly bad it's almost befitting of the film if it does intend to be wacky.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Fascinating. This is the first I've heard of this remake (on account that if one of THOSE relatives is on Facebook, I either don't friend them or unsubscribe from their feed), and I still don't care.

harryhenry

Jun 28, 2012
Falseprophet said:
I'm guessing no weirdness either. The original Land of Oz books were full of weirdness like girls being transformed into boys and back again [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Ozma], but the 1940 Judy Garland film has pretty much cemented that presentation of Oz in the mass culture. So instead of mining Baum's 18 or so Oz books, which are all public domain now, Disney instead puts out a completely new film channelling the 1940 movie.
Quick correction: The MGM OZ was actually released in 1939, not 1940. anyway... yeah, Oz The Great And Powerful was basically a prequel to the MGM movie, right down to the title! In the original book, oz is refered to as "The Great And Terrible" whereas in the MGM movie it was "The Great And Powerful".

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I've been giving Moviebob a lot of grief lately. Credit where credit is due- this gave me a lot of interesting information I wasn't privy to, and had me chortling pretty much non-stop through the entire clip. Good show, old chap.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
I can't believe is! Their remaking Annie and the lead character is BLACK!!1!

NO! I AM OUTRAGED!1 That role belongs to Gingers!

RED POWER!!1!!11!

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Annie needed a reboot, and this looks like a good modern way to do it. I think the biggest problem the original character has is that our Orphanage system no longer exists in the same way it existed in the 20's. There haven't been actual Orphanages in a very long time, and have since been replaced by Group Homes and the Foster system. We're also so displaced from WWI that just about every characters background isn't relateable anymore. Given the update that needed to be done it appears consistent. It's not like the incoherent changing of the characters background that the Fantastic Four reboot appears to be doing which I equate more to the latest Hercules nockoff that isn't actually Hercules. Really, Hercules sold into slavery so they can do a Gladiator rippoff. Random Greek or Roman, sure, but not Herc.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
pluizig said:
I think it was Film Crit Hulk, but it would be interesting to see Bob opinion on Orphan Black now that he seems to be reviewing television shows as well.

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
Have no problem with this Annie reboot but I am upset now because the idea of little red hair girl blowing nazi submarines makes me think Quentin Tarantino is some where rolling around having night terrors for not putting that to screen sooner.

Merklyn236

Jun 21, 2013
Nice Christmas Story reference at the end there, MovieBob.

The only thing that bugged me about them doing this was that for the longest time Willow Smith was supposed to play Annie. When did that change?

Did Hollywood realize that you can't capitalize on an actor's/actress's parentage and hope for big box office returns? Oh, wait, nah that can't be it. Hollywood never realizes when they make mistakes.