The Big Picture: Out of the Park

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I don't so much take my views from south park, as I tend to watch it and think that it all seems so damn true. Often it seems that the things south park point out in society are the things I've seen for quite some time. I wasn't aware people actually take their views from south park. That...annoys me. Maybe I should make friends with the makers of south park seeming as I have so many views in commmon with them.

Also, I love the accent, but then again, I could see how it could be slightly harder to cut into little easily editable chunks of dialogue.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I found most episodes were common sense oriented attacking the over reactions of a particular group. I need more than Trey and Matt for source material for my views(HUMANCENTiPAD's take on click-to-accept agreements/contracts is one I've held for a while now though as with many people on this site who don't like the EULAs).

And who wants to be part of a group that changes political views on an episode to episode basis.

Canadian columnist Jaime J. Weinman observes that the most die-hard conservatives who identified themselves as "South Park Republicans" began turning away from the label when the show ridiculed Republicans in the season nine (2005) episode "Best Friends Forever".
Shows how deep their beliefs were doesn't it?

My personal favorite episode from this season at this point is "City Sushi". Political/Social views be damned, it's just a really funny episode.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I agree, Bob. South Park is pretty awesome. But just because they say things without any sort of unifying message doesn't mean they aren't 75-90% right about what they say. Like Jon Stewart before he got all politicized and drew actual news media attention.

That's because the jester is the freest voice in the court... or however that expression goes about comedians being able to say whatever they want about whoever they want with minimal fear of reprisal because they're funny. I think Mel Brooks said it... right around History of the World, Part 1, wherein he played a bad comedian getting sentenced to death by the Romans. *ramble, ramble...*

Also a little disappointed the accent was addressed. Who couldn't tell you were from Boston? I mean seriously? And here I thought it was a subtle example of the very "continanity" (which I assume is a portmanteau of continuity and insanity, rather than inanity) being addressed in the episode.

...or is the joke still going on? Sudden reversal of a notable but supposedly unpopular and still completely insignificant/irrelevant change with little more than a "whoops! didn't mean to do that" pseudo apology? and better yet letting people derive meaning and messages from something essentially meaningless and message free after talking about how we shouldn't do that (another message from South Park, incidentally, in The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs)? Bravo again, Bob... bravo. *slow clap*

heh.

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
Now that you mention it you should quote some Scout lines in your Game Overthinker episodes cause their are some definate similarities in the voice.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Dak_N_Jaxter said:
I'm so used to hearing your radio voice, that I always figured you were putting the other voice on.
Yeah, same. Went a bit "Eh?" Last week, but I could definitely get used to having JFK/Quimby/Scout telling me about movies =P

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
BONKING, IS, WEIRD!
well that explains the accent then...

and I do believe you can find some political views in southpark, just not consistent ones...

Gallium

Cannon Fodder
May 3, 2011
I found South Park a bit hit or miss. (Mind you when they got a hit it was often a laugh-till-you-cry one).

It has been a while since I've watched an episode, but if it's current take on issues is anything like it's early form I'd say it suffers from a major case of attacking everything, but suggesting nothing.

It is not as if you can base an entire political philosophy on attacking and putting down absolutely everything but suggesting nothing in return....

Wait a second...

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Thanks Bob. I was curious about that ever since your review of 'Shuttah Island'. I'd also understand why you would adopt a more general speaking voice for public audiences since every accent around carries some immutable stereotypes with it, a sad but true factor though some people enjoy hearing accents for uniqueness (my city's main radio talk show host is that way at least partly due to his Scottish accent).

Isn't it nice how text doesn't have accents?

I was always more into Simpsons than South Park- it often felt to me like Cartman got away with too much even for a satirical cartoon show. Even Homer or a less sympathetic jerkass like Peter Griffin is usually punished for serious indiscretions. It is kind of admirable though how SP was willing to take a dig at more left-wing absurdities Simpsons wasn't willing to attack (I am a big-time lefty and the show's writers themselves have admitted to being the same), though more out of a general lack of caring who they offended than any political message. One thing they seemed to have in common was a general desire to make people take a second look at any political, business or religious platform to see the hidden truths underneath before throwing in with them, that nothing is as good as it is originally presented to be. Not everything sucks, but critical thinking is important.

BLAME CANADA!

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
I like the Boston accent. Not Bob's in particular, but just in general.

BUT...FOR THE RECORD...

There are 2 "R"s in the word "retarded". Not an "H". Not a long string of "A"s.

RetaRded.

NOT RetaHded.
NOT RetAAAAAded.

That is all.

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
Bob, you make it sound like there's something wrong with sounding like the Scout!

Anyway, nice vid.

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned, but it's something that I noticed, not only as a South Park fan from season 1 onwards, but also as a self-proclaimed "South Park Conservative" (translation: very centrist, with an occasional smidgeon of a right leaning)...South Park doesn't have its own philosophy because it is based around making fun of the silliness of other philosophies. It is almost pure satire.

Take global warming, for example. The serious AGW people take it to the point of a doomsday cult, rather than "we may have to make some adaptations in a warming world." So, you get an episode like "Manbearpig" or "Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow." People turning Obama into a saviour and a divisive election campaign? "About Last Night..."

It's a great show, but if there is a life lesson in it, I don't know if you could take it any farther than "Get some f***ing perspective, already!"

The Philistine

Jan 15, 2010
Really? Republicans are that desperate for a political voice outside of certain far right talking heads? Really?

South Park has always came across as an equal opportunity bashfest. And it's narrative tends to swing from pants on head ridiculous to bludgeoning it's audience over the head with a particular moral of the moment.

Really?

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I have to admit, I laughed out loud about Bob talking about sounding like Scout (and tbh, looking like Heavy, too!) I grew up in New York state, in the suburbs of NYC, so I have a northern accent, but not a "New York" accent. My Dad grew up in the Bronx, and his accent is very, very different from mine "Youse goin' out?"

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Bob, thank you so much for this episode. I've run into too many assholes around here thinking exactly in the manner you've pointed out.
Bonus:
I figured the accent thing was just you being very passionate about comics, and dropping the fake voice was your unconscious way of "getting real here folks".

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
dex-dex said:
two things
I am still shocked that people take lessons from South Park.(do these people take lessons from Family guy and any other cartoon?)
Yes, of course it's worse with South Park (probably even worse with Simpsons) because Kyle make one speech for episode but obviously that some people take lessons from cartoons. Your society is too focused in consumption so people will consume ideals and political postures. Some people will prefer to buy their ideas from a rad cartoon than from a 19th century man who had a strange relationship with his nazi sister. I know a guy who takes lessons from New Genesis Evangelion.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I'm fairly certain moviebob addressed that he has a boston accent before. At some point.

The first person I think of when I hear a boston accent is Denis Leary or an old SNL sketch where they said 'wicked' a lot.

South Park gets way too preachy for my tastes. Still a damn funny show. The episodes I enjoy the most are the ones without an obvious message.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Mangue Surfer said:
Some people will prefer to buy their ideas from a rad cartoon than from a 19th century man who had a strange relationship with his nazi sister.
Wait, are you talking about Friedrich Nietzsche? Or am I thinking of someone else

OT: You seem to be a bit more non-partisan Bob. Kudos on that.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Robert B. Marks said:
I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned, but it's something that I noticed, not only as a South Park fan from season 1 onwards, but also as a self-proclaimed "South Park Conservative" (translation: very centrist, with an occasional smidgeon of a right leaning)...South Park doesn't have its own philosophy because it is based around making fun of the silliness of other philosophies. It is almost pure satire.

Take global warming, for example. The serious AGW people take it to the point of a doomsday cult, rather than "we may have to make some adaptations in a warming world." So, you get an episode like "Manbearpig" or "Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow." People turning Obama into a saviour and a divisive election campaign? "About Last Night..."

It's a great show, but if there is a life lesson in it, I don't know if you could take it any farther than "Get some f***ing perspective, already!"
This concept actually is most prominent in their new musical, "The Book of Mormon" (which I had the pleasure of seeing while I was briefly in New York last spring). Without spoiling the show for anyone, the main overarching theme of the show is "religion is about comforting people, not necessarily adhering to a strict ideology or narrative." This is why many religions, such as Islam, Christianity and Buddhism, spread so widely in their heydays; people found comfort in their teachings.

Plus, where else could you hear the phrase "Salt Lake City doesn't exist?"