The Big Picture: Out of the Park

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Were people really making THAT MUCH of a deal out of his Bostonian accent? Seriously? I thought it was general knowlege this guy was from New England, and people from New England sound weird. heck his broadcast voice sounds Bostonian to me, maybe cause I am a midwesterner.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
I feel like kind of a dick for being one of the ones making a big deal out of his accent.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
I'm surprised that it took this long before you wanted to talk about this issue. I'm so sick of running into smug people that think just because South Park said it that it makes the most sense. When Avatar came out I couldn't stop a conversation from turning to it and everyone say "It's Dances with Wolves".

The accent thing? You sound like The Scout and Kennedy, the glass is half full not half empty. Plus I love accents, doesn't matter which, they're fun.

Sperium 3000

Mar 16, 2009
It could be worse, Bob. You could sound like the Heavy. Your show would be quite more obtuse, thoght a lot more entertaining!

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Sorry Bob all I heard was "If you were from where I was from you'd be ****ing dead!"
In all seriousness though, great episode. I've had to fortune to never run into these people but still food for thought.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Well-said, though personally I've never liked South Park I sure as hell wouldn't trust any morals it hands out.

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
I honestly could not take south park as any from of philosophical or moral compass. The damn show is just too weird. Yet Bob is right, I agree with him that South Park is a great show but should not be taken seriously. It's South Park.

P.S. Eh... makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up Bob. I'm from the South West, so hearing anything that doesn't sound from like it's south of the border is a fresh pace, but whatever. I like how you sound either way.. but for gods sake, you could pander a little and say BONK! Just once... can't you just say BONK! in your accent? Yeah.. I'm getting a bit nerdish, I'll stop.

Spongebobdickpants

Oct 6, 2009
I tend to watch south park and agree with it than think it is southpark so it must be right and adopt its "lessons".

This isnt show designed to ask big questions it just parodies pop culture and current attitudes.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
So South park is as subjective as 'The 90s sucked". Having not watched an episode of South park for a few years it's good to know they're not actually trying to push some sort of adjenda.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
I used to love South Park. I don't know when it happened but at some point they got so any accolades for making good funny points that the show just went crazy. It seemed like every episode was trying to make some point, some of which were stupid/wrong or just an opinion and ended with everyone in the show basking in some artificial revelation.

Its the cartoon equivalent of Glenn Beck going from a retarded shock jock, getting followers, thinking his opinion is infallible and turning into a giant douche.

It wasn't a particular episode, its a trend in the show and I haven't been able to watch it in the last few years. Its just annoying.

If Movie Bob is right then I guess theres a bunch of idiots who GET there opinions from this? Wow.

P.s. Avatar was not Dancing with Wolves, other then similar themes. Stop saying it, it doesnt make you clever. It makes you hating on a good movie for the sake of being a contraian.

Bwown

Jun 22, 2010
Two things:

1. Mormonism is a religion and Scientology is a cult. Both belief systems were mocked on South Park, but the former was determined to be a system that helps people, while the latter was determined to be a money making scam.

2. Many belief systems have points that contradict one another. For instance, Republicans continue to espouse a Pro-Life stance, but yet continue to support the Death Penalty.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
I like the accent Bob, makes me think of Car Talk and then fond childhood memories.

Also, while I don't always agree with you, I always see where you are coming from. This episode, however, I agree completely. South Park isn't exposing a point of view, it's just taking the piss out of society.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Bwown said:
Two things:

1. Mormonism is a religion and Scientology is a cult. Both belief systems were mocked on South Park, but the former was determined to be a system that helps people, while the latter was determined to be a money making scam.
The distinction is meaningless. Mormons had to flee New York and Illinois because the local population thought they were a nutty polygamist religious cult controlling local politicians with their voting bloc. Which they most likely were. Giving them a pass just because they've been around longer than scientology is a little ridiculous. I think South Park's "message" with their respective scientology and Mormon episodes was that Mormons (that they know) are usually very nice decent people who believe in very crazy things and Scientologists (that are famous) come off as angry confrontational lunatics (which they were at that time).

Yes, there really isn't a coherent political philosophy on this show, outside of what Matt and Trey feel at a given point in time. The Return of Chef show was almost them mocking themselves for the way they mocked Scientology. And Isaac Hayes, as well. You think they'd do a show like that even after he died? I don't think so. The point of ManBearPig isn't that "global warming isn't real." It's that Al Gore is annoying and desperately trying to hang onto his celebrity. Again, they probably wouldn't even make that now, unless he took up some new or fresh cause to stay relevant.

If you DO want to watch something / someone with a strong unified Libertarian political philosophy, I'd highly recommend looking at all the video blogs, radio shows, TV shows, and books by Penn Jillette. The guy can read my mind sometimes.

Spongebobdickpants

Oct 6, 2009
Bwown said:
Two things:

2. Many belief systems have points that contradict one another. For instance, Republicans continue to espouse a Pro-Life stance, but yet continue to support the Death Penalty.
Aint a religeon just a successful cult? there is really no difference between the two.

christianity was only a cult not a few hundred years ago, then it got lucky same with islam and judaism.

Jedi-ism (or whatever its called) is a cult but promotes sharing, compassion and forgiveness. Are you saying its any less valid than christianity which makes millions (billions even) in profit whilst supporting immorality (proctecting peadophiles, condeming contraception ect.).

Im not going to go into this but religeons are big cults and to use cult negatively and religeon positively is something i find contradictory