The Big Picture: Out of the Park

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
Two things:

1. Please stop doing the "IS WEIRD" thing every chance you get, or at least speed it up at this point. It's a really old joke now that has expanded too far past its original locus. At this point, it's like hearing my dad say, "I can has Geritol?"

2. Who (besides you, apparently) is hearing people base their philosophy on single episodes of South Park? I've never heard of anythign like that, save people linking to pictures that tangentially deal with whatever they are discussing. This episode felt like a filler that pulled five minutes out of "South Park is only in it for the lulz."

TastyCarcass

Jul 27, 2009
Matt and Trey at one point said something among the lines of We hate republicans, but we hate liberals more. They're kinda moderates I suppose, but I don't really care.

ALSO Bob, if you must use your broadcast voice, can you do it in all your shows except The Big Picture? It just seems to fit. It's kinda a gangstery voice, it just works with the jazz them you have.

TastyCarcass

Jul 27, 2009
mrblakemiller said:
Two things:

1. Please stop doing the "IS WEIRD" thing every chance you get, or at least speed it up at this point. It's a really old joke now that has expanded too far past its original locus. At this point, it's like hearing my dad say, "I can has Geritol?"

2. Who (besides you, apparently) is hearing people base their philosophy on single episodes of South Park? I've never heard of anythign like that, save people linking to pictures that tangentially deal with whatever they are discussing. This episode felt like a filler that pulled five minutes out of "South Park is only in it for the lulz."

1: Agreed. He's milking it now. He's done it in every single episode for at least the past 2 months.

2: Yeah, I hear it all the time.

Monty McDougal

Mar 15, 2011
He almost like those British and Australian actors like Hugh Laurie and Russel Crowe who change their voice for a lot of their work. But I love the voice, man.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
I so agree with this. Poking fun at things is way, way, completely and totally divorced from actually being in FAVOR of anything. This is why shows like Penn & Teller's Bullshit can get aired. They're not pushing FOR anything in particular, only AGAINST.

In real life, however, what matters isn't what you're AGAINST but what you are FOR. And South Park (or Bullshit) will never give you any kind of a guide as to what you should be FOR.

Enjoy it for what it is, that's the best you can do.

That being said, the Boston accent is fine if you prefer using it. Yahtzee gets a lot of mileage out of HIS regional accent, after all.

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
The moral I got from this is:
1. South Park is hilarious (not a fan myself)
2. Libs like Bob are extremely irritated that Trey Parker and Matt Stone have right leaning philosophies and try their hardest to ignore it. So don't point it out to them!

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
razer17 said:
I always thought that South Park was more of a left wing show. Not that I'd ever take life lessons from it. The occasional episode will have some sort of message, usually deliver by Kyle saying "Today, I learned ....", but I certainly wouldn't use it as a reference point of morality. I mean, seriously, this is a TV show with a talking Towel who just loves to get high.
Same. I'm honestly stunned that there was ever a "South Park Conservative" movement - I always thought it was more of a left-wing show, too. They're pretty open about berating those who think they can police the sexuality and reproductive rights of others, a core foundation of conservatism >_>

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Yeah, I never liked people who took their ideas from South Park (or from anywhere outside their own personal experience for that matter), but I've always found that 98% of the things Matt and Trey say in that show, I already agree with, and that they explain the reason they hold those views much better than I ever could.

Also, Bob sounding like the Scout automatically makes him a hundred times more badass.

uberhippy

Apr 28, 2011
Ì've never gotten into sout park, when i was young (and all friends started watching it) I dismissed it as immature and grossly offensive (but this is when i was about 12, so i took myself & everything WAY too seriously)
Now, so much of my friends speak by saying 'remember that bit in southpark where.....' and it confuses the hell out of me.
of some of the shows I have seen however, I enjoyed their ripping of certain areas of pop culture, or just news items, simply by the insane over the top directions they bring normal, mundane issues to.

Inspired by this episode, ill finally actually sit down and watch them.
Thanks Bob!

NKnight

Jul 31, 2010
First of all: The accent thing is awesome. I kind of admire people able to control their accents, it's almost like speaking a second language.

now about this episode:

I believe South Park serves moral lessons, but do not follow a political agenda. They even joked about it in a episode saying they wouldn't get in the middle of something just to, in the end, deliver a message with their point of view.

The episode of changing south park flag that addresses racism and the episode addressing the media coverage around turning off or not the machine keping alive a terminal patient are two good examples.

Another one concerning gay tolerance:

"Tolerant, but not stupid! Look, just because you have to tolerate something doesn't mean you have to approve of it! ..."Tolerate" means you're just putting up with it! You tolerate a crying child sitting next to you on the airplane or, or you tolerate a bad cold. It can still piss you off!" -- Mr. Garrison

hmm... thinking back I can see one reason or two as to why people think it follows a republican agenda.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Personally I think trying to read any kind of political alignment into a purely burlesque form of satire which has an 'open season' attitude towards almost any topic is completely misguided. What I like about South Park is how self-reflexive it is: the corny music that plays whenever Kyle goes 'I've learned something today', the self-parody in the form of Terrence and Phillip etc. If you can laugh at yourself, regardless of what your political alignment is, you and I are going to get along because in the end everyone has different opinions from time to time, but it's refreshing when someone doesn't hold their views in such hugh regard that they can't mock themselves. That, incidentally, is the main problem with the internet - everyone is so self-righteous.

cartoon 6

Jul 4, 2011
I almost completely agree with bob. I found alcholism the perfect example.

However Southpark did change my way of looking at some things.
For example the episode about smoking. I used to be very anti-smoke. But not anymore. I let people have their cigaret if they want.

But yeah for the most part it's just two awesome guys making awesome stuff.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Wow, I would have never guess your real voice is the accent.
The accent sounds fabricated where as the voice you normally use sounds natural.
Funny how things work out.