The Big Picture: Out of the Park

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
People actually do the whole south park thing? I can't say that I've ever heard someone use it like that.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I don't get the impression that some people get their political views from South Park as much as they just kind of point to South Park to validate the opinions they already have. Which is kind of bizarre, especially since a lot of the time it's not impossible to find support for two opposing opinions in the same South Park episode.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Not sure that Starship Troopers is an endorsement of military-centric culture rather than a look at what can go wrong with such a culture.

I'm a far-left communist/anarcho-syndicalist/anti-capitalist - "No gay speeches, Kyle!" - and I find my views coincide with the vast majority of the opinions espoused by Matt and Trey through Southpark, and it espouses them very well. So I don't really understand the Southpark Republican thing. Yeah they make fun of Michael Moore, Al Gore and Jesse Jackson, but I do not identify with those people, so fair play. Maybe it's because, in Soviet America, left is right and right is far-right.

aristos_achaion

Dec 30, 2008
Great episode, Bob! Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go pahk my cah in Hahvahd Yahd.

(Actually, damned if I'm spending the couple of hours and ~$16 to pahk my cah anywhere near Hahvahd Yahd, what with the T stop being right there, but you get the idea.)

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
You know, the "___ IS/ARE WEEEEEEIRD" thing is getting unstoppably annoying to me. I don't think there's anything Bob can do about that, but I just couldn't stand not to say so. It makes me want to stop watching every time it's uttered, but I don't want to miss what's "weeeeeeird" about the subject this time.

Fun to discover I was reading Bob's voice totally wrong.... or maybe more correct, since I read what he publicly puts out? Hmmm... thought must be put into this

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Yeah ok I agree with all that, but gingervitus is a real disease and gingers have no souls. South Park has taught us this much at least.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
That last bit about the broadcast voice reminded me of my college graduation ceremony. Considering I was in the Comm Arts Department, the professor they had announce our names blew every other speaker out of the water. It is kind of jarring when you let a Biology professor with an awful speaking voice take over the mic right after an old AP sportscaster. >.<

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
For those people who watched the movie, Trey and Matt basically explained this very point: that people should have their own philosophy on life without basing it on or blaming it on the media. I'm not a huge south park fan, but it seemed like a reasonable enough point.

The accent...frankly I was originally hoping it was just a 'reboot' joke during the comic reboot episode about how we could get a Baaston Bob if we sufficiently offended Jesus. I get that that's how you normally talk, but...it's not a particularly appealing accent. Personally that accent also reminds me way too much of less-than-reputable gentlemen from NYC. If you can keep it under your hat and perhaps only bring it out for special occasions it might not overstay its welcome.

Speaking of overstaying its welcome "[BLANK] IS/ARE WEEEEIRRD" has definitely done so. It was cute the first time or two, but it's just not ominous enough to be funny.

MC K-Mac

Oct 23, 2010
Well, I don't watch much South Park, but I think the reason some people think that Matt and Trey are trying to espouse a particular viewpoint is that, for a lot of the episodes, they completely drop the jokes in favour of straight-up sermonizing. It wasn't like that in the first few seasons, and I think that's part of the reason I don't watch it much anymore, because I find it very tiresome.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Noelveiga said:
There's this ending to that one Simpsons episode where Lisa asks "So what did we learn today?" and Homer comes back with "Absolutely nothing". I always thought that was pretty much the foundational premise of South Park. It's topical, it's funny and sometimes it just directly insults people for shits and giggles.
Honestly,that's a fact. There is nothing South Park hasn't made fun of,the only time where a problem came up was in 200 & 201,which is why they were heavily censored AND never rerun again.

They didn't want to be blown up.

So yeah,I'm glad I didn't miss those episodes,because if I did,I could never see them again without buying the whole damn box set. Even then it's still censored.

OT:SERIOUSLY? There are people who use South Park as an example for living. what.
I'm sorry,but that makes no sense. But then again,some people don't know how to think for themselves I suppose,real sad.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
DarthFennec said:
Yeah, I never liked people who took their ideas from South Park (or from anywhere outside their own personal experience for that matter), but I've always found that 98% of the things Matt and Trey say in that show, I already agree with, and that they explain the reason they hold those views much better than I ever could.
That's generally how I feel about it.(I tend to agree even with the alcoholism episode, as it's not a diease, it's a symptom of something wrong with a person. Anything can be a addictive coping mechanicism. Hording, video game,s drugs etc. They re keeping us from seeing the real things wrong with ourselves we aren't happy about when it's not done in moderation.) They tend to get it right, not that I base my original conclusions off of South Park. Like Scientology, my father and great uncle both were deeply into it. My father took the good parts, and toss the rest away. He said, Scientology is not a faith but a business.

Ultimately my parents never shoved any faith down my throats despite I went to Church, and sunday school for a bunch of years with my sibling and my mom. The main theme I was taught by my parents, mainly my father was always take a bunch of different people's opinions and form your own based off their collective experiences and your own. Question everything and understand how it works for yourself. Do not just take people's word for it. That is why I wouldn't accept South Park as a sole means of saying that's why I believe what I believe.

I'm sure there's idiots that take South park as Gospel, but then there's idiots who find Moviebob insightful on his poltical views.(sorry man, you're bleeding heart liberal, my room mate whos a democrat even goes man Bob is waay too liberal for his own good.) May be Bob you should be telling them you're not an absolute either. Somehow I doubt you plan on dispelling your own bubbles.

Tinybear

Aug 27, 2010
Well, in my opinion, "getting your philosophy" from someone/something means that you're a twat without the capability to create your own mental compass. Followers in general are annoying. Stupid followers believing they are smart, are even more annoying.

Anyhow, people seem to miss the point with South Park. It isn't a moral philosophy lesson, it's satire. Do you know what satire is? It's about pointing out the stupidity of society by exaggerating it (if necessary).

And Scientology is very different from mormon faith because, guess what, they don't normally recruit by claiming to give a personality test that will give you the feedback that you're depressed and mentally ill, and that they can help you.
That is a huge difference. And, it's also the fact that the scientologists try to keep what their faith really is hidden (the whole Xenu stuff). South Park basically schooled pretty much most of their viewers in scientology by presenting it as comedy.

South park's political/philosophical side is SATIRE.

Don't you guys know what satire is? seriously? It seriously looks like people sue so damn much in the states that people are afraid of being satirical, that's sad.

Tinybear

Aug 27, 2010
Aureliano said:
Speaking of overstaying its welcome "[BLANK] IS/ARE WEEEEIRRD" has definitely done so. It was cute the first time or two, but it's just not ominous enough to be funny.
Quoted For Truth!
QFT!

Eetinam

Mar 27, 2011
I don't want to overly undermine Moviebob's point (I totally agree with it), but it is based on a slightly off interpretation of Parker and Stone's views. They've said before that what they really don't like about Scientology isn't its origin story, but the fact they charge money to be in their Church. Then because they're a comedy show they proceed to mock it while arguing the other way for Mormonism's origin story.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I was oblivious about the South Part phiosophy people... You're using a cartoon that uses violence and bad language as a source of your philosophies? I pitty you so much.

South Park is funny. Why would anyone look deeper into that?

*edit* When I heard the voice effect of IS WEIRD I want to kill someone. Bob... please... no... don't... again. Or I'll be blaming you in my trial.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
And what's wrong with the Scout?

Oh right, flimsy hit points, lousy damage unless he's within inches of his target and a lousy selection of hats.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Its better then sounding like a high-rent Boby Kennedy, so there's that.

But don't worry, I'm from California so... like yeah, you know

OT:
I don't shape my views from South Park. On some of the more politically minded episodes, I reconsider my views.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Well I think the point, if any, to be drawn from South Park (and in my eyes Family Guy too) is that you can't just laugh at the bits that take the piss out of stuff you hate, you have to learn to laugh at your own ideas. In this way I think it teaches you to view different opinions to yours in a more balanced way and less dismissively because you can see that from other people's perspectives you arguments may seem idiotic too.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
I mean really people. It's just a comedy show. Don't take it so seriously that you make you socio-political beliefs match up with it exactly.

Also:
"Now it just makes me sound like the Scout." Not that there's anything wrong with that! :D