The Big Picture: PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming!

ColdBlooded

Feb 8, 2011
Good points but I still feel like getting a good gaming PC when I have enough money... you know, Steam and all.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
It saddens me that people still don't understand that few-month-upgrades and limited warranties for PC's aren't real... When I gamed solely on consoles I actually took the time to listen to what the people who owned (and therefore knew about) Pc's had to say on the matter.
I have since discovered that almost ALL anti-pc arguments are lies. Not to say they're perfect, but there was a time when I really did think that people were paying $1000 a year to keep their PCs alive, or that PC exclusives were all crappy point and clicks.

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
Woodsey said:

Oisin O said:
I haven't owned a PC in years, I get by perfectly fine on a laptop, an xbox and a good phone. Pc gamine these days drives me crazy with all the antipiracy stuff they've introduced, i bought hard copys of 2 games and couldn't play either because the giant fail that is Steam wanted me to download both games, which i can't do because I'm on a limited data usage plan.
If you have the discs, you don't need to download the games through Steam. Just register them.

Actually, a lot of steam games don't have the game on the disk. I know my HL2 disk contains only a small registration file and the game needs to be downloaded.

Auxiliary

Feb 20, 2011
The title is extremely misleading and does not really cover what people would expect upon seeing this title. Since when I read PC gaming is dead, I instantly connect it with Console Gaming is not dead. The video is still amusing however, but terribly wrong.

PC´s as we know them wont vanish until we get devices capable of showing us information in a handy format. Reading a book on a cinema sized screen won't work, playing a triple A-game on a cellphone sized screen won't work. Until the 'screen' gets replaced as format of showing us information (books, games, videos, mail, etc) the PC as we know it won't vanish. I don't see the screen being taken down for a long time however. We don't have augmented eyes, holograms, neural interfaces just yet.

If you would say console gaming is dead however... I would agree big time. Since the console is nothing but a PC with less functions and inferior hardware. I can link my computer to my big ass television and get the exact same game experience as a console gamer if I plug in a gamepad.

But to repeat it, PC and PC gaming are not dying just yet.

Dobs141

Nov 10, 2009
I literally would not be able to function/do anything I need to in a given day without my laptop. And I don't think you can lump laptops together with smartphones and other wireless things, seeing as they're just smaller more portable computers. Although, mine being docked into so much shit, and with its awful battery life isn't portable at all.

While I spend a vast majority of my time on my lap not-gaming, and a vast majority of my gaming time not on my laptop, that doesn't mean the two don't intersect. Steam is awesome. I don't see myself becoming detached from my laptop or games at all in the near future, and as long as both exists, there will be that intersection of the two.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
I remember going to the dump (yes, the county trash heap) with my dad and yanking parts from computers thrown away by hospitals, government agencies, etc, and building our own.

As far as functionality goes, I still need a PC to do my job. I have a monster one that I edit video off of, and use Office to manage my business.

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
Bob, the PC itself isn't dying, no more than radio 'died' when television came along or than how newspapers 'died' when the radio came along.

Your analogy with the X-Box 360 also rang really hollow. 'Shit, if my XBox could do everything a PC is capable of doing, I wouldn't use PCs anymore!' Of course you wouldn't. If an Xbox could type documents, edit videos, send e-mails, IM, and play games, it wouldn't be a console. IT'D BE A SODDING PC.

There's also the fact that you don't have to pay licensing fees to develop on PCs, which is why the PC is the only platform that has a truly thriving indie market.

stardroid

Mar 29, 2010
.... right... I TOTALLY DISAGREE!

IM A PC user and I will use it. SRY I don't give a SH** about other consoles, because I like to upgrade my PC the newest things. I like the big screen with what I can watch videos and play games. I like my big black box. I like my keyboard and mouse with are faster then joystick and has many options and better controls.

Yes their are alternatives, but remember one thing from where come your consoles games??? From where come PC games? Yes they come from PCs... from programming. I don't know any consol's on what you can program things.

PC problem is PIRACY. Yes PIRACY... because of piracy AAA company like other consoles more, that why some games come out late on PC. It is all about money.

I cant speak fro USA, Australia or GB, but for the Baltic country( We are in Europe near Russia). In all store majority is PC games their are only few console games. Maybe we are just stubborn, but I powerful PC is something a consoles is not.
Yes laptops are good, but they are PCs too...

I will stick to PC, because I like to program thing and consoles just aren't the same... You cant make modes for Oblivion or Dragon age on consoles :) And tell me when PC is truly dead.

At the beginning of my post I was angry, but now Im calm and may opinions hasn't changed.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I find it hard to see any relevance in the arguments. Gaming can be done on multiple platforms... great. Truely, that's great. However, nothing - nothing is going to look as good as it does on a top end PC. The thing about PCs are, they can be extremely powerful. You can run 3 or 6 monitors, you can have 3D gaming in almost any game. The in game graphics can get pumped to the max. Almost every game I've played on both my PC and PS3 has been better looking, smoother running (FPS and load times) and overall just a better experience than on PS3, and quite often also offers complete customizing/modding which is ONLY possible thanks to the openness of the system and it's the closed environment of ALL tablets and consoles that hinders this as well and for laptops they just don't have enough thermal headroom for real power nor for big beautiful screens.

I can already hear people screaming "OH you graphics whore! Who cares about graphics!" Well, guess what. A lot of people do. It's not to say that's the only thing that matters, not by a long shot, but I want eye candy where I can get it. I can get it on PC AS WELL AS all the same gameplay awesomeness.

The price of a gaming PC is dropping big time. It's as costly as a first gen PS3.

JoshTheater

LRR Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2009
Monsterfurby said:
JoshTheater said:
ZombieGenesis said:
Laptops ARE computers, and I agree laptops will probably replace the box PC. But ...it's still a PC.
I agree completely, and when I talked to MovieBob at PAX East after seeing this video screened there, I pointed this out to him. He clarified that he wasn't referring to laptops and when he said PC, he meant computer tower + monitor.
So, what he is saying is that Desktop PCs as gaming machines are dying?

Well, no shit, Sherlock.
True, but try telling somebody who just spent thousands of dollars on a new Alienware desktop PC that they just invested in outdated technology and see how willing they are to believe it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Mister Linton said:
Woodsey said:

Oisin O said:
I haven't owned a PC in years, I get by perfectly fine on a laptop, an xbox and a good phone. Pc gamine these days drives me crazy with all the antipiracy stuff they've introduced, i bought hard copys of 2 games and couldn't play either because the giant fail that is Steam wanted me to download both games, which i can't do because I'm on a limited data usage plan.
If you have the discs, you don't need to download the games through Steam. Just register them.

Actually, a lot of steam games don't have the game on the disk. I know my HL2 disk contains only a small registration file and the game needs to be downloaded.
I imagine they're the updates for the game, the main game should install from the disc.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Smokej said:
I don't see a difference between a Laptop and a Desktop PC in terms of functionality (differences in mobility aside...) And you can't tell me that people are starting to write an article or essay for their work, university etc on a smartphone or are researching a subject on a small tablet pc...

The beginning of the video regarding, i would assume that if your family owned an apple or old intel pcs in the 80's and even in the early 90's, is an indication of your social milieu you're coming from, which probably has influenced your tastes in entertainment as well.

A lot of people (myself included) were more interested in text (later point&click) adventures, simulators, strategy or business games... than say a Jump&Run game and the like.
I don't know about the US, but in Germany a really good business game could easily place itself in the top position of the sales charts until the late 90's. Today it would be unthinkable that a game could sell more than 10 copies if you arent shooting things with your M4 or slash some Vampires in some fancy anime style...

The platform for games doesn't really matter if the game itself is ambitious, complex and sophisticated. But it is the spirit of what pc games ones stand for that is dying. For example i own all of the current consoles and handhelds (sans Wii) but asides from racing games and sports games i rarely use them. I mean come on what are they offering to a mature mind who hasnt left the ship when the gaming industry "evolved"...
Alas, you are right. Just look at these few games and you will see that there is no modern equivalent:
- Sword of the Samurai
- Fugger 2
- The Settlers 1+2 (although there was at least a Settlers 2 remake)

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Iron Mal said:
Delusibeta said:
My other problem with your argument is that it applies equally to each individual format these days.
Please do go on?

Examples? Details? Discussion?
Most 360 or PS3 exclusives these days are relatively obscure compared to five years ago. Therefore, their market is being drained away by (amongst other things) websites, iOS and similar devices and soon streaming services. Therefore, console gaming is becoming a niche activity and is loosing their edge to aforementioned devices and distractions, and in some cases are better than the consoles (e.g. availability, cost and simplicity).

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Macrobstar said:
Yeh they show so much love for PC even though it stabbed them in the heart with the pirates and what not, so its not really one generation ahead because it hasn't actually got those graphics, its just one guy saying it could be, and how much better do you think graphics are gonna get?
Am I the only one who reads the articles and news on the Escapist? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107927-Crysis-2-Leak-Not-As-Bad-As-First-Thought]

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Void(null) said:
Neither does making random statements based upon personal opinion with no evidence or data to support your point of view.
I already said previously to someoneelse that you're more than free to disagree with me (I'm not the police of you), but to be fair I've grown tired of having this areguement so many times on here.

There's only so many times I can drag out the same evidence to support my 'personal opinion' (all things regarding games are personal opinions, it's a form of entertainment) before I eventually just can't be bothered anymore.

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
Bob, I hate to say it, but this is not something we will agree on. Desktops like my girl Kyria here are simply faster and more powerful than everything else you just mentioned. Tablets are underpowered netbooks, netbooks are underpowered laptops, laptops are underpowered desktops. This isn't to say that they don't have advantages the desktop lacks (portability being a major factor in many such purchases), but in every case, you are sacrificing power for more portability. I have a sneaking suspicion that this will always be true, not because we can't shrink things far enough, but because desktops can have things like extra PSUs (Power Supply Units) and dedicated APU/GPUs (Audio Processing Units and Graphics Processing Units), whereas it's much more difficult to pack the kind of hardware you'd need for that range of dedicated processors into a smaller space. With less hardware dedication comes less power, less ability to multi-task.

That's where the desktop shines in comparison to all the more portable computing devices. Phones are limited by their firmware to one thing at a time. Tablets likewise. Netbooks aren't, but if you're doing more than one thing at a time on them, you're going to hurt them. Laptops are pretty good at multi-tasking, but nowhere near the powerhouses that are desktops.

Comparing laptops and desktops is rather like comparing, oh, Chrome and Firefox. Both are wonderful browsers for entirely different reasons and for entirely different users. Chrome is faster at singular, simple tasks, yes, and that's fine if that's all you're going to ask from it. But Firefox is a hyper-stable giant, taking forever to do things, but capable of processing dozens of tasks at a time and not breaking under the load. I daily open 50+ tabs in the same mouseclick with Firefox and notice no significant slowdown, try that with Chrome and see how long it takes it to panic and die.

I could go into discussions of 3D rendering software and music fidelity and compression software and graphics hardware, but I would be doing nothing but repeating myself: the desktop computer is, at its very base, a more powerful machine than any comparable laptop or netbook or tablet or mobile device. All these devices have their place in the consumer market, all of them have individual advantages over the desktop, but none of them encompass the sheer, raw processing power of a Corei7 processor toiling at full load in concert with an ASUS motherboard and nVidia graphics card.

There's also this:
Bretty said:
[...]techies like myself will always refuse to just choose tech generic tablet one as our machine of choice. If I can't choose the parts, build it myself and then modify it at will; I will not buy it.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
so todays point was that the form the hw has is obsolete? hell yes, but worst of all the controlls are obsolete, how many people have mouse with 5 buttons(not many because theyre costier) or keyboard with analog-capable keys(none because they dont exist)? Concept-wise the PC is the only ethernal platform, you have to make the games for it very customisable, so in fact moving on to cloud wouldnt(and isnt) be a problem with any existent pc games, moreover servers could handle much more than the home HW that literally catches dust while used. And contolls-wise PC is the only one that can and will use every type ever.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Mister Linton said:
Woodsey said:

Oisin O said:

While HL2 has been updated to the point where the disc is somewhat worthless (same with the Counter Strike: Source retail pack), for recent games with this problem, this is a bug.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I prefer the "informative" big pictures more. The ones that take a deeper look at some interesting topic or expose a little known microcosm. The whole "pc is dead" thing has been done to death and this Big Picture doesn't really add anything to it.