The Big Picture: PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming!

Hold off on the rage for a second and just listen.

Watch Video

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
interesting, wonder if it will pan out like that. If it does, that will be interesting.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Can't say I really agree with a lot of that Bobby.
I've been a console gamer for about 18-20 years now, and I got a gaming PC only last month. It's miles better by far :)

So yeah, the whole 'grown into denial' thing really doesn't hold any water...
I think the biggest delusion people have, is saying that the consoles advance towards PCs have always boasted as 'benefits' means that PC gaming is now dying. The reality is pretty much that consoles are now just up to scratch (well nearly, we haven't seen if mouse/motion controls will even stuck in the long run)

Essentially, somehow I doubt that iPads or iPhones will ever replace the functionality of a whole home computer. You'll never see people at my Uni doing their assignments on their phone. Just isn't practical.

Some things are just necessary~

EDIT: Actually, notice how laptops were not mentioned.
Laptops ARE computers, and I agree laptops will probably replace the box PC. But ...it's still a PC.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Did anyone else think the title was a Videodrome reference?

Anyways, interesting episode, although I almost expected this to be a Game Overthinker episode as oppossed to a Big Picture episode.

Saippua

Jan 30, 2011
Who uses a tablet? "Tablets" are just iPads and iPads are just laptops without a keyboard except less powerfull.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh dear.

This is going to get ugly.

All I'm going to say here is that it seems kind of... odd that he's putting this video on the Escapist, a site with an unusually high proportion of PC folks.

Also, he's probably right.

Now I'm gonna run before the knives come out.

Sep 14, 2009
Kevlar Eater said:

Here come the fireballs.
haha was about to do this exact thing, massive zerg rushing among bob will commence high and mightily.

OT: Bob i actually do agree quite alot with this, and it did bring together alot of random off topic thoughts i've had for a long time now, and i completely agree on alot of it.

Feb 13, 2008
*sigh*

Redefine words to mean what you think.

Lovely.

I'd love to think that you just created this for page views, out of spite, because most of the reviewers have their own little hate pad against computers.

I know this isn't true though. You've just redefined all the words. Whee. That's nice. And added a disclaimer that if anyone flames, you're right as well.

I'm not going to get angry, because the writing on the wall's been there for some time. You work on PCs, you play on consoles, so because you hate work, you have to differentiate them.

Comfort over Versatility. Sad. Maybe it's all just for page views though? Part of me wishes it was just a troll attempt.

Here's the Little Picture: [HEADING=3] Consoles are becoming PCs.[/HEADING]

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
I agree and disagree good sir. Should've just condensed that and said, "PC Gaming got borgified with consoles, get over it" and saved us six minutes. Ironically with steam I feel it's happening the other way around. At least until Steam goes console.

A day I can't wait for. Buy it on Steam and play it on your wii/360/ps3/pc/etc of your choice.

Edit: Oh, also I grew up with consoles. I own a 360/wii/ds/gaming pc. For the past six months I've played my wii/360 0%, my ds 15%, and my pc 85%. I use my 360 to watch netflix instant play. I haven't turned on my Wii since last June for Super Mario Galaxy 2.

emusega

Jan 17, 2011
I'm not usig any irony when I'm saying that I never really understood why people claimed that PC gaming is dying. I thought the reason was that piracy is much much easier on the PC platform than on consoles. But ok, the reasons stated in this video made sense and shed some light on it.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Nice one Bob! For the foreseeable future PCs, or notebook computers, but they will occupy a smaller and smaller part of the landscape. Media creators will need them.

Jikuu

Mar 3, 2010
At first, I thought he was just rehashing an older GameOverthinker movie, but then he took that twist into "PCs are dying" bit. I was entertained, and I can't say I would mind more GameOverthinker-esque stuff over at the Escapist.

I think Bob's looking into the future. I don't think we're talking the death of the PC in 5 years here. This is more like 15 to 30 when tablets are more than just expensive Apple toys. He's talking a generation's time, not a "blink and you'll miss it" kind of moment. So maybe "death" is too harsh of a word. Maybe "decline" is more of the issue.

So yeah, this isn't anything to get upset over. Bob pulled out the crystal ball, so shake your cane at him when we're 60 and can definitely prove or disprove his ideas.

LonelyWizzard

Mar 14, 2011
I haven't owned a PC in years, I get by perfectly fine on a laptop, an xbox and a good phone. Pc gamine these days drives me crazy with all the antipiracy stuff they've introduced, i bought hard copys of 2 games and couldn't play either because the giant fail that is Steam wanted me to download both games, which i can't do because I'm on a limited data usage plan.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Eh, miniaturization hasn't come so far as all that. Perhaps soon the PC will simply be a box in your closet that stores your files and processes your games, and you'll access it from any of a dozen devices... but that box will still be necessary. Processors in mobile devices are still a joke, and compared to those we can make that put out the kind of heat modern PC processors do, they always will be. Until we find a truly viable replacement for silicon, there will always be the physical limitations of heat dissipation.
Honestly, I think the next wave (if corporate greed will allow it or hackers will make it despite corporate greed) is really the integration of what we think of as "consoles" into PC hardware. PCs are modular technology, they can process any code you want 'em to. Consoles are too limited to survive in the face of that.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009

That's why PC sales are up then. Why Steam continues to gain more users and money. Why motion controls are being put on the PC anyway (of course, plenty of the "hardcore" console gamers also moan to death about motion controls - and whilst Kinect has sold massively well, I'm pretty sure actual game sales for it are fairly pitiful). Not that motion controls are as accurate as a mouse and keyboard anyway.

As for the whole Facebook thing, its a DIFFERENT MARKET. If sales on "hardcore" PC games are also rising, then how are they dying? They're just more expensive, so the increase in sales doesn't come that fast from THAT market. Since FB and its ilk are a different, cheaper market (and a new one), they raise faster.

This video is a little bizarre. You're right, why would you keep all those things at a hub in your house, when you could buy 300 different appliances that all only do a few functions of it? Oh, wait...

And last time I checked, I'm pretty sure laptops were counted as PCs.

Oh, and if you installed IE and Office on a 360, you would have a basic PC. You're not rendering your old one useless, you're just building a slightly more limited one.

Oisin O said:
I haven't owned a PC in years, I get by perfectly fine on a laptop, an xbox and a good phone. Pc gamine these days drives me crazy with all the antipiracy stuff they've introduced, i bought hard copys of 2 games and couldn't play either because the giant fail that is Steam wanted me to download both games, which i can't do because I'm on a limited data usage plan.
If you have the discs, you don't need to download the games through Steam. Just register them.

Aulleas123

Aug 12, 2009
As a PC gamer, I can say that Bob makes a lot of really good points. I wish he was wrong, however the writing is on the wall. I don't see myself giving up the PC anytime soon, however I can say that it's a good thing I got a 360 a few months back, it's a back-up plan for games that I love that don't come out on the keyboard and mouse.