The Big Picture: PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming!

demouse

Nov 23, 2009
ALL OF MY HATE!!!!!!

Dammit moviebob, I considered you worth listening to untill now.

Edit: To elaborate, anyone who includes a: "If you disagree with me you are proving me right" clause loses any form of relevancy or authority in my books

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Counter-arguments that will go unread, provide no insight to a single reader, and ultimately die in obscurity: GO!

(Keep in mind, this applies ONLY to the home market. "Personal Computer")

In practical terms: Laptops will replace desktops for higher-end-processing requirement computing of most sorts. This ignores the possibility of those old beige and black bricks being used as personal servers (which require a constant high speed connection with higher reliability than your typical wireless necessities to be of any real use).

PC = Laptop. They are the same fucking thing, except one has more space for gadgets than the other.

Mobile Phones and Tablets will never completely replace higher-end-processing (of which gaming is a big proponent of) simply because of the practicality of size vs battery capacity.
Lithium Ion batteries are NOT improving all that much, and it's unlikely that we will find or develop a better, "safe for everyone" capacitor soon. While we could increase the power of the processors, it would be to the detriment of the customers, and ultimately the market.

Cell Phones will blend with modern handheld consoles (and Tablets/laptops to a lesser degree) to become one mushy unit but the power of processing alone will distinguish traditional PCs/Laptops from much of the App Store schlock.
Consoles...will never replace PCs. Just due to practical (and now, LEGAL, thanks Sony!) limitations alone they never will.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Moviebob should stick to being a movie enthusiast/comic fanboy, if I wanted real insight into PC gaming I'd watch Extra Credit.

Also get original ideas... This topic was already touched on in Extra Credit, and a few weeks later bob made a whole video out of it... good job.

I'm going to take one last stab and say... speaking of dieing media types, comics,
if I wanted to get a comic I would have to travel hours to my local major city and go to the one specialty shop that actually still sells them... Not even news agencies carry that crap anymore.
-Oh sorry I forgot Kinukuniya Books also carries some comics and visual novels but I rarely ever see people in that section.

Mordereth

Jun 19, 2009
You must not listen to anything Yahtzee says in his reviews, articles, or directly to you in the joint article you guys wrote-

MOTION CONTROLS CAN'T AIM WORTH SHIT.

If we really are moving towards a centralized hub for all things electronic, I'll simply home-build a PC with which to float the now "open-er" Consoles operating systems and let them scream not "HAX!" but "COMPUTER! HE'S USING A COMPUTER!"

And the good times shall role.

Xexxar

Jan 22, 2011
Did anyone else remember when there was like 1.5 million people on steam max. Now its spiking at 3.5 a day. Hmm...

There are 5 reasons why I like PCS

Modding Capabilities
Graphical Updatability
Multitasking
Fucking Keyboard with a Mouse
And MINEEEEECRAAAAAAFTTTTTTTTTTT

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
loc978 said:
Honestly, I think the next wave (if corporate greed will allow it or hackers will make it despite corporate greed) is really the integration of what we think of as "consoles" into PC hardware. PCs are modular technology, they can process any code you want 'em to. Consoles are too limited to survive in the face of that.
You also have ideas like OnLine which is hampered by the state the internet is in more than the technology available. I don't think PC gaming it dead but I do agree that it is changing. The big downside to the future seen here is mammoth market fragmentation that will eclipse the mess seen before the 1983 gaming crash.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Here's a bit of futurism for yas... The PC evolves into the Home Computing Hub, that can be accessed directly or via multi-Gigabit/sec wireless networking with your little mobile gadgets, that not only acts as mass storage for the whole family's gadgets and stuff but can boost the performance of said gadgets with distributed processing. Added to this it also controls many automated functions build into the home and interfaces with many appliances. It also connects wirelessly to a number of terminals in the house for multiple users so the entire family can use larger screen set ups for all manner of purposes in comfort.

And most of this tech already exists.

kaieth

Mar 16, 2010
But if I still have a laptop, I can play my RTS's and League of Legends, which would suck on consoles, by the way.

Matterer

Mar 17, 2011
I realize its been said, several times... but I think laptops are (and very well should) absorb a lot of these devices. After all, a laptop can do all the things a console, phone, tv, radio, ipad(iphone with a larger screen and no phone waste of money) and pc can do.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
Nietz said:
K_Dub said:
It would be pretty interesting to see a world where PC's and consoles have basically become the same thing. Stronger systems, larger storage space, jumping from a game of CoD directly to the internet. I certainly welcome the change. Don't expect it for a long while, and I certainly don't expect it to happen without PC gamers flipping their collective shit about it, but I welcome it, and look forward to it.
Dude, you can do that now, CoD is on the PC.
Oh yeah no. See um, what I was tryin' to get at was that um, ahh...Look at that thing!

*Flees and from a distance shouts* CURSE YOU AND YOUR LOGIC!!

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
I don't really think it's what you said that bugged me, but how you said it.
You're incredibly condescending, Bob.
You're tactless.

So am I.

valkeminator

404Th Ravens. No.04
Nov 19, 2009
I wouldn't exactly say its dead, rather changing, more like how PCs are becoming more compact and say... what if in the future PC becomes Laptops ? That is more certain.

Still though we probably have to wait for 1 or 2 more generations, since as of now motion controls are still relatively new and therefore not as good as it should be =\.

Nworb

Jul 18, 2008
By pretty much the same line of reasoning that Bob uses ... you can say Consoles are Dying as well.

I mean, what defines a console?
The controller in hand? That's going with new motion controls.
The box by the TV? Cloud gaming / streaming will take care of that old device.
The sitting down on the couch to play? Where and how we play is expanding.
Even the TV itself is likely to evolve as it always has been, getting bigger, more high def, more immersive, more pervasion, less intrusive, more ubiquitous... it's crazy.

Of course I don't believe any of it... people will always re-cycle terms like 'PC' and 'Console', redefining them to mean what they want them to mean.

Saying a particular technology is dying, is as stupid as saying TV killed the Radio. Sure, there are trends, and money moves, but it's rare for technology to actually die out, making the semantic use of the word 'dying' to describe what's just a downward trend, somewhat inappropriate.

soundoflights

Jul 4, 2009
You are mostly right except I don't think PC gaming is really dieing as much as thinning out a bit. The people who still game on the PC are gaming enthusiasts that want the unparalleled control a PC gives them. I personally love to perfect all of my settings and I love messing around with different key binds and sensitivity's to get that precision feel. Before I even start playing a new game I'll spent 5 hours in the options and config files. After a while it gets to the point where the mouse and keyboard are just an extension of your brain and the speed and precision you can achieve with a mouse and keyboard just isn't comparable to a controller or anything else currently available. PC gaming is for gamers that want to push their minds to the limit and as long as the mouse and keyboard are the most precise gaming tools out there PC gaming will still exist. Also Blizzard and Valve still love us =p.

mrtenk

Aug 4, 2009
Sir, the day my keyboard and mouse becomes useless accessories for the medium I play them with, I will rage so hard I'll probably have a heart attack and die.

Also this nice fancy graphics card still has plenty of life left in it.

override367

Nov 29, 2007
Wait PC gaming is dead?

aw shit [http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/override367]

Someone should have told me, I guess I have to uninstall black ops from my laptop? Oh you just meant that PC exclusives diminishing in quantity means the platform is dead?

Hey guys, the Xbox 360 and PS3 are dead, hate to tell you :(

Honestly Bob, you really believe that in the very near future everyone is going to do everything on tablets or cell phones? They're going to have keyboards on the coffee tables? Micropcs and laptops will gain prevalence (and power, but hey look at that games list, my $600 school laptop runs ALL OF THOSE GAMES), but people are still going to want to do their facebooking, web surfing, and word processing in a manner that is ergonomic.

Yea sure you can lay back on the couch and type using your TV as a monitor. As a matter of fact, you can do that with every modern PC and laptop sold. There's a reason only a very small number of people do it.

The truth of it, I think, is that you're half right. The PC as we know it, especially the "gaming PC" is almost certainly on the way out, now that Intel is getting in on the graphics card game. In half a decade a machine the size of an Xbox 360 will have the processing and GPU capabilities to run modern games and be pretty cheap. I honestly believe people will still stick that box on a desk with a monitor (or have a laptop sitting on that desk) - you know, where they've always done their work and writing since long before the PC existed.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
You are now aware that bob will look at the length of the thread and just assume that everyone here is a raging nerd and that he's right.
Quite frankly, he's flat-out wrong, everyone playing games on their PC's knows otherwise, there are plenty of high-quality exclusive games coming out for the PC, not to mention indie games everywhere.