The Big Picture: Ranking the Marvel Movies

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Funny, I was thinking just 22 hours ago how you and I would rank this very thing completely different.
And you did!!! :p

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Good times. My top three movies are Captain America in first, Winter Soldier in second, and Avengers in first. Because Captain America is just amazing, but man the whole idea of The Avengers, and the fact that they pulled it off, is still blowing my mind.
Guardians of the Galaxy is shaping up to be fantastic, so I can't wait for that. I trust that, when all these movies are out, Bob will make the ultimate list then, yes? I would like to see that.

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
I know everyone's doing it and nobody's actually reading each other's lists, but here's mine:

7. Thor: The Dark World
6. Iron Man 2
5. Thor
4. Iron Man 3
3. Captain America
2. Iron Man
1. The Avengers

Haven't seen Hulk or The Winter Soldier.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
The Avengers
Winter Soldier
Iron Man 3
Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
Thor
Iron Man 2
Thor: The Dark World
The Incredible Hulk

^I believe this would be my order^.
All Great (or at least really good) movies. I already bought Phase 1 and already have some cash stashed away for the phase 2 set. Guardians of the Galaxy i think will be a contender for my number 1 spot. While winter soldier is probably my favorite solo character movie (though I want to watch Ironman 3 a 2nd time to be sure), having multiple superheroes all in one fantastic movie is way cooler.

hmm... wonder what the lists would look like if we added DC universe movies into the mix...

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
ImBigBob said:
I know everyone's doing it and nobody's actually reading each other's lists, but here's mine:
I've read a bunch of the other lists that were posted, but not all. Would be nice to have some sort of ranking poll, to tally up how many people ranked each movie

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I still don't get why most people don't like Iron Man 2. I mean, sure, I didn't much care for it, but it was for personal BS, particularly in that Tony kept not telling his friends what was wrong with him and made things worse as a result, but everything else was fine. I also have yet to see the Hulk movie, though I'm still hoping for a Hulk 2 starring Mark Ruffalo, especially since his role in The Avengers revitalized interest in the Hulk! The rest of the list makes sense, though I get the feeling Bob likes the first Captain America a bit TOO much. Like the thing most people complained about with the first one, he basically said with the first Iron Man, just replace "Iron Man goes to the Middle Eastern village" with "Captain America saves the troops from the HYDRA base" and that's pretty much the most common complaint I see out of that movie.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
It's crazy hard not to launch into a diatribe about how terribly stupid it is for people to get so worked up about one man's opinions about which of the Marvel films is HIS favorite, so instead I'll just jump into my list (not going to explain them, as they are simply ranked by my personal taste, and thus like Bob's list or anyone else's on here, it's impossible for them to be "wrong"):

1- Avengers
2- Captain America: Winter Soldier
3- Iron Man
4- Captain America: First Avenger
5- Thor
6- Iron Man 3
7- Thor: Dark World
8- Iron Man 2
9- Incredible Hulk

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
I'm surprised at Iron Man 3's place on the list, I thought it was really boring. The second one was worse (I actually fell asleep during it, never a good sign) but when Iron Man (the suit) is hardly in his own movie, things seem to have gone a bit screwy....

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
It actually really annoyed me that The Winter Soldier movie wasn't a Winter Soldier movie. Definitely something I noticed, unlike Bob said. Because of that it doesn't rank as high on my list, still a great movie though.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Iron Man 3 your 4th really? the worst Marvel film is your 4th "facepalm"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3r4FklA4gI

C'mon everyone do your own lists :)

Iron Man 2
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Marvel's The Avengers
Iron Man
Thor
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 3
Declares a certain film is the worst as an objective fact. Posts a fake trailer made for a laugh as a legitimate argument. "facepalm" "head desk"

As for me.
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Marvel's The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Thor
Iron Man 2
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
The only ones I feel really strong about on the list is the number 1 and the last 2. The other 6 between them are fluid depending on my mood.

1. Avengers: Come on! You know you all geeked out big time for this movie. Most want to seem too cool to admit it.

2. Iron Man 2: I really don't completely understand the hate for this movie. So, there was a lot characters to keep track of. Without this movie there wouldn't been able to set up Phase 1 as effectively as they did.

3. Thor: This movie humanize a character that is a god. It was funny, well-paced, and did a great job balancing both worlds.

4. Captain America Winter Soldier: It's too early to say how effective the big twist in the movie will have on the bigger universe. It was a fun movie that I will want to see again.

5. Captain America 1st Avenger: A great introduction to a character that most people (myself included) who didn't know that he wasn't some patriotic jingoistic propaganda.

6. Iron Man: I'm surprised I put this movie that low. It goes to show how strong the other movies in the MCU are.

7. Thor The Dark World: I liked it. I just wasn't as excited about it as the first Thor movie.

8. Incredible Hulk: I liked the movie. You can tell there was resistance from Edward Norton to make the movie part of the Marvel Universe. That's why it's so low on the list.

9. Iron Man 3: This movie was a BIG misfire. Someone posted a link to an Honest Trailer of this movie that nails all the problems to it exactly. The movie threw away everything the made Iron Man interesting and have Tony Starks run around like a TV detective.

Broodlaw

Dec 11, 2013
Hmm I would have to go ahead and say:

1.Captain America: The Winter Soldier, love the shake-up midway through the film, the action was top notch and the focus on the secondary characters was a real reason why this is the pinnacle of the MCU so far.

2. Iron Man; What can I say, it's the film that started it all, though it was an awesome origin story and has great casting with Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow, also did introduce the mythos of the Iron Man universe a bit even though the whole Ten Rings aspect hasn't been touched much of lately.

3. Avengers; Just a spectacle and a great film to watch, story felt safe though safe was probably best for the first ensemble outing. Overall it felt like a well-earned victory celebration and it's justified in that notion.

4. Captain America: The First Avenger; Needless to say I thought this was great, wasn't too much of a Cap fan before this came out and I thought the imagery and feel of the film was top notch, Chris Evans feels natural in this role, it's like it was tailored for him.

5. Thor; Decent origin story even though I was more captivated by Loki's side of the story than I was with Thor's side of it, and with Loki's rise as a captivating villain that's the reason I thought this film was good. Casting was great as well, though the film feels like there could have been more.

6. The Incredible Hulk; Now this feels like a Hulk movie that we should have received years back, and it does feel more so like the TV show than your standard affair. I liked the fact that this also had more of an established threat in Blonsky and the little nods to the Leader as well were special to see, though this captured the essence of the Hulk better than most adaptions have, though with it being more of a fugitive story it lacks that substance that you would want in a Hulk story. I'm just crossing my fingers for a Planet Hulk or World War Hulks film in the future.

7. Thor: The Dark World; While this film was good in its own right, especially in showing off some of the realms which was extremely lacking and Asgard for that matter, what this lacked was that captivation with the characters that was in the first film, it felt like we've seen the same tropes before though it was making up for the lack of action in the first film.

8. Iron Man 2; While this film didn't work it at least tried to stay faithful to what it was designed to be, more of an emotional crusade for Tony to end up fighting the demons inside of him especially with losing his father. Whiplash/Crimson Dynamo was completely wasted in this film and that's why its so low on this list.

9. Iron Man 3; Needless to say it's not the fact that this movie is cool to look at and to see Iron Man pushed to his limits, its more of the complete slap in the face of Iron Man fans over the Mandarin, who was teased with the Ten Rings since the first film to be reduced to a druggie and to have Aldrich Killian take the mantle, it just goes to show the lack of confidence in the Mandarin to actually do the story justice in the first place. The film was weakened considerably because of that, and the fact that Marvel had to do a One-Shot just to clean up the mess just confirms its place at the bottom of the heap.

And here's hoping that Guardians of the Galaxy rocks, most risky film adaptation yet though if it succeeds then it pretty much means that Marvel has a green light for whatever they would want to do in the future. Plus Rocky Raccoon and Groot; It's already awesome just cause of that

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I?ve read a few comments that criticize Bob for being wrong about certain things, and to be honest as much as I agree sometimes (don?t get me started on South Park) I think we may be getting on him a little to much if we start crying Hypocrisy lightly. There have been times where Bob has otherwise shat on movies that I ended up really liking, and for things that were simply his opinions. I liked Man of Steel for instance, and many of the things Bob hated about it, I actually liked. But Captain America was getting pretty damn gritty in the comics especially around the winter soldier stuff, I haven?t seen it yet (things come out late where I live) but in comparison this seems like a more light-hearted version of the original Cap story line.

This list is pretty valid in my opinion. I liked certain movies more then others. I certainly think Hulk should have been a bit higher up, and some how the first avenger seems a bit too high, but I do sort of feel like this list is some what weird.

I think we are reaching a point where we can?t really judge these movies as individual films anymore. I mean of course we can, but I feel like its sort of getting to the point where it?s like judging an episode of Game of Thrones. There are weaker ones then others, but they are all building toward something and at the end of the day when we see the big picture (lol puns are awesome lolz) we may end up judging them differently in that context. ,

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
My ranking is pretty much:

1. Captain America
2. The Avengers
3. Iron man 3
4. Thor: The dark world
5. Captain America: Winter Soldier
6. The incredible Hulk
7. Thor
8. Iron man
9. Iron man 2

Ironman just doesn't really click with me.

Guilen-

Mar 14, 2009
There is no way in hell Iron Man 3 deserves a comparison to Brett Ratner, that film is way too intelligent and smooth for that, seriously. Winter soldier is, admittedly, the greatest of the films. It's the most relevant, the most daring, the most real, and that's pretty damned impressive considering how good Avengers was. Also, it does a refreshing kind of justice to the icon the character even represents, and I's Canadian. Kinda refreshing! Would you say it did what Man of Steel couldn't do, made a film as good as the Dark Knight? I'm not decided on that yet myself.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Gunnyboy said:
You're right, because relegating asian roles to bad guys is such a good thing. He's a "yellow menace" villain. The might as well have a villain called Captain Communism and have him speak with a Russian accent while espousing the views of his communist homeland.

These films sell to an international audience and sometimes when you adapt the source material you have to change it to not fucking piss off all the people in a country you want to see the film.

Captcha: Can't have nice things. Sounds fitting.

TheCorpseMan99

Apr 16, 2010
1. Avengers - Easy pick, I get just as excited watching it now as I did when I first saw it.
2. Captain America: Winter Soldier - Sorry, I like supernatural and science fiction elements in my superhero films and Avengers obviously tops this movie in that regard. Still great otherwise.
3. Thor: The Dark World - See above. Color me a sucker for mythic fantasy.
4. Thor - See above again, but less so.
5. Captain America: The First Avenger - Not necessarily brilliant but no complaints here.
6. Iron Man 2 - I don't know if it's because his film series has been around for as long as it has, or if it's because he's the only one to get three movies to himself thus far, or if I'm just tired of the whole Batman/Iron Man/Madmen "My wealth and genius allows me to act like a dick, and I never get called out on it because I always happen to be right" schtick, but I don't care for these movies, mainly because of the protagonist. (He's a billionaire genius who, over the course of three movies, pretty much just continues to be same old Tony Stark, ego and snark and all.) As far as villain and plot goes, this was my favorite.
7. Incredible Hulk - I don't remember much about the movie, except that the Hulk looked and acted more like the Ang Lee Hulk did and Abomination was there (awesome), but I still liked it much more than the other two.
8. Iron Man - I was going to put this last but after consideration I changed that pick out of principal. Shun me if you want, but this was easily the most boring film out of all the picks. With it being an origin story for a character I didn't find myself caring that much about, I both already knew what was going to happen to him and didn't care. Besides, if I want to watch two otherwise normal, everyday people fight each other in custom built robot suits, I'll go watch Robot Combat League. Again.
9. Iron Man 3 - (Soapbox time) Look, I'm not against what was done to the Mandarin simply because of continuity. I was completely and totally fine with the race swapping of Nick Fury and Heimdal because the end result means that the tone of the movies are basically unchanged. But in the case of the Mandarin the fact that they did it is bad not just ~because~ they did it but ~why~ they did it. Don't act like you don't know, they wanted to deliberately shock audiences and make things more realistic. The director himself said he was going for something more along the likes of the Joker in "Dark Knight" and the Col. from Apocalypse Now, and also mentioned how he wanted to surprise audiences. Well that surprise may have been nice for the moment, but now that it's over (except for the cases where it was never a surprise, because it was spoiled or because people looked it up) what we have now is a lack of eccentric, magical sorcerer in a series that could use something more fanciful to lighten it up. It's bad enough that the DC answer to Iron Man slowly transformed his trilogy's setting from an appropriately Gothic inspired city to... daytime New York, but we don't need Iron Man to be any less out there than he already is. Maybe if Marvel and Iron Man's director were comfortable enough to not pander to the audience who thinks any superhero who isn't Batman or Wolverine is a "fag" then we wouldn't have movies like Man of Steel turning what is supposed to be a "Big Blue Boyscout" into a decapitator in a bleak, gray Metropolis.