The Big Picture: Real Cutie - Manga Turned Live Action

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Burchy22 said:
Yeah...anime to film is never going to work with the west until Japan calm their shit, leave out the school girls and go all black leather like superhero's had to do before they were gradually accepted into western film.
I would say its pretty damn hard to find an anime that would work as a live action movie, but I wouldn't say impossible, I would say something like Hellsing or Death note could definitely have a decent chance in the west if done good enough.
Black Lagoon, Black Butler (for the most part), and Cowboy Bebop are other examples of anime working in live action. Especially Black Lagoon.

OT: I remember liking this movie long ago. Thanks for bringing it up, now to find it again.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Worgen said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Worgen said:
Why can't western things just go balls out with style like this? Even our games can't manage it as well as the Japanese can.
What is Kick Ass, or Guardians of the Galaxy, or Mystery Men (to keep with the theme of funny superheroes). There are plenty of really odd movies in western cinema, they just aren't taken as representatives of every movie made here.

OT: I could see this being used as the basis for a "Manga Are Weird" episode, or something about strange bits of Japanese cinema, but on it's own it just feels like Bob reciting a weird movie he saw without any reference to it's place in the big picture.
Sure we can do odd movies and games, but we still seem to lack the over the top insane awesome style that the Japanese seem to have mastered. For instance, you would never see something like The Wonderful 101 made at a western studio.
Sucker Punch comes to mind. Like Cutie Honey, it is cheesecake and action.

Caylith

Apr 16, 2009
Kudos for using the original language version. I hate dubbed anime/asian movies in general, it always sounds ... fake.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Black Crow is awesome. I want a bunch of people to follow me around with violins and play my theme music when I fight. And the look Honey gives him after is priceless. "...Really?"

So this is the guy that caused all the manga that I read to become what they are, huh? I never knew that, but he has my thanks.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Burchy22 said:
Yeah...anime to film is never going to work with the west until Japan calm their shit, leave out the school girls and go all black leather like superhero's had to do before they were gradually accepted into western film.
I would say its pretty damn hard to find an anime that would work as a live action movie, but I wouldn't say impossible, I would say something like Hellsing or Death note could definitely have a decent chance in the west if done good enough.
There's a reason why only a few adaptations have been floating around for a while now. That reason is that those are the ones that work the best in live action.

Cowboy Bebop is incredibly western freindly and has themes most westerners can get behind, it's also not abstract in any way.

Ghost in the Shell is basically a procedural crime drama with a solid over-arching narrative and a neat cyberpunk setting.

Akira, is a little more abstract in that it's actually about post-wwII japan, but can also be really enjoyed on a surface level.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
I saw this movie long time ago and it's awful. They tried to recreate a cartoon instead of doing their own thing with the universe no matter how stupid it may sound.

Rijor

Aug 14, 2010
Burchy22 said:
I actually watched the Live Action Death Note. I think that that's a very good adaption, and more people should check it out. I would mention a few plot points ARE changed slightly for the sake of keeping things concise. personally, while watching, i'd almost forget the shinigami were CGI, which is a credit to their use of them. I think Death Note live action was the best example of a manga-sourced material becoming a decent movie in it's own right.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Christ.

Anime aesthetics are questionable at the best of times, but applied to real people? That's just painful to look at.

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
Weired.
Won't say anything more.

Other question: What is the popular opinion of the Gantz real live movies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuuHv1rZMhE

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
NinjaDeathSlap said:
So... Kill la Kill cribbed off this a lot then? :D
Kill la Kill borrowed about half the series from Go Nagai. If this looks slightly familiar check out Kekko Kamen and some of the others, which had even more influence (particularly one of the Devilman villains, she'll look VERY familiar).

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Getting a head start on Schlocktober, huh? All righty then.

Wait, this movie was directed by Hideaki Anno? Otherwise known as "Gen Urobuchi, v.1.0?" I guess this was before he lapsed into the fit of suicidal depression in which he wrote Evangelion.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Wow... That was pretty weird. Still, those were some pretty impressive lengths they went to to make live action look as much like anime as possible. I'd even go so far as to call it high art on the technical side.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
Laughed a lot at that movie the first time I saw it, it's so weird to see the physics of cheap weird gainax animation applied to real people. Like the Gainax anime they made though, it's funniest in the beginning. Can't decide which I liked more, but the movie handled Scarlet Claw and Black Claw in a much more fun fashion.
Didn't know you cared/knew about/liked mange/anime, Bob. If you've changed your mind I'd love more episodes, I love some of that stuff.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
This episode inspired me to look up more info about Go Nagai, which led me to Kekko Kamen. I just don't have enough "WHAT" gifs to respond to that.

To those who aren't familiar, Kekko Kamen is a masked superheroine. She wears a mask, and nothing else. Yeah.

Cronenberg1

Aug 20, 2014
This kind of thing is what we have been missing for the past few weeks. I think I just felt the internet get 10% better.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Shameless said:
I saw this movie long time ago and it's awful. They tried to recreate a cartoon instead of doing their own thing with the universe no matter how stupid it may sound.
Trying to recreate a anime THAT accurately is definitely something worthy of recognition. Even if it looked stupid, I couldn't stop marveling at how much it felt like I was watching an anime in this video. If anything, it's worthy of notice in a film tech school. I can't imagine what kind of film studio knowhow was needed to do that.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
So... Kill la Kill cribbed off this a lot then? :D
The guys who made Kill la Kill mostly came from Gainax... who made this (and Gurren Laggan... which is the only Gainax thing I've watched). So... yeah, it's in their DNA.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
That was a whole lot of "what the fuck" that I just experienced.

Not really my thing, but hey, more power to those that like it.
Sniper Team 4 said:
Black Crow is awesome. I want a bunch of people to follow me around with violins and play my theme music when I fight. And the look Honey gives him after is priceless. "...Really?"
That was pretty much my reaction. Except it was more of a "wat" than anything else.

But hey, if you got it, flaunt it! :D

geier

Oct 15, 2010
Disclaimer:
I love Manga and anime. I'm watching them for the last 18 years. I had to LOL 3 times while watching this episode, but:
I'm 100% convinced that watching the whole movie gives you either brain cancer (from all the WTFs), diabetes (from the oversaturated colors) or epilepsy (from the fast action and blinking lights).