The Big Picture: Real Cutie - Manga Turned Live Action

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Real Cutie - Manga Turned Live Action

MovieBob takes a look at Cutie Honey, the 2004 live action adaptation of a long-running manga series. It's... something else.

Watch Video

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
It's stuff like this that makes me wish I lived in Japan.

They get this. We get Dragonball: Evolution. Life is cruel.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
DEAR LORD WHY?! The minute I saw that image...all the repressed images came rushing back. Never really got into the anime, but the live action? Brr...well, maybe it isn't as bad as I remember...on to watching the show (by which I mean Big Picture). Thanks Bob! :p

EDIT: yep...just as embarrassingly cheesy and strange as I remember, though the fighting holds up strangely well. Ah man, Kekko Kamen...I'd forgotten about that show. This many years later, my reaction to most of GO Nagai's stuff remains 0_o

Omnicrom

Jun 26, 2012
Well that was only slightly stranger than some of the Tokusatsu shows I've watched.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I might actually gonna watch this. I usually enjoy anime and manga live-action adaptions. The 20th Century Boys trilogy are among my personal all time favourite movies, I thought Speed Racer was a flawed masterpiece and the Ace Attorney movie by Takeshi Miike is one of the best video game adaptions I've ever seen. Thank you for the recommendation, I really appreciate it.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I have the weirdest boner...

In all seriousness, these are some of my favorite types of Big Picture episodes, so thanks for this Bob. It's nice to see an episode not about controversy or anger or whatever else is going on.

Live action anime with sexy Japanese girl? I can dig it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Why can't western things just go balls out with style like this? Even our games can't manage it as well as the Japanese can.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
"Movies are weird" are always my favorite episodes of this show. Heres hoping for something random and bizarre for this year's Slhlocktober.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
What makes this weirder is that this was directed by none other than Hideki Anno, and that Gainax made another revision of Cutie Honey called Re: Cutie Honey

Good luck getting that song out of your head, it's way too catchy

Anyway, Cutie Honey is a weird character because I'm not sure how well written she is and before anyone says the fanservice invalidates it, let me remind you that Kill la Kill exists (made by the same team as Re: Cutie Honey). But yeah Go Nagai is extremely influential for multiple aspects of modern anime good and bad and the sexuality in Cutie Honey is one of them.

Anyway, that movie's ending is even more bizarre than the Casshern movie ending and that's saying something.

On an interesting note, Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Taika-hen [https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-09-09/1st-rurouni-kenshin-sequel-is-2014-no.1-japanese-live-action-film/.78549](Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno) Is currently 2014's highest grossing Japanese live action movie.

P.S. if you are going to talk about Cutie Honey, talk about this

One of the classics of Sci-fi and what I think was a capstone of its era

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Some strung out 20 something is going to see this on cable late one night and assumed they just hallucinated the whole thing.