The Big Picture: Real Cutie - Manga Turned Live Action

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
If Bob ever runs out of comics stuff to do Big Picture episodes about he'll have plenty of material for ''MANGA/ANIME. IS. WEIRD.'' episodes. Though some of it probably won't be allowed on it since some of that stuff is VERY not suitable for work to put it mildly.

Also, perhaps I missed it; but the movie was actually directed by Hideaki Anno, who also directed Neon Genesis Evangelion, which most people with even a passing knowledge of anime will have at least heard about.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Speaking as somebody who doesn't read manga (yet), I have to say that this movie would just allow me to watch it instead of doing all that reading business and watch my eyes glaze over at the Japanese err... Japanese of it all.

LordTerminal said:
Waitaminute, what did Bob mean when he said "You were expecting something else"? Was there something everyone was expecting him to talk about this week?
Well I'm not sure if any silly business happened in the last few weeks.

We shall not refer to this mess by name.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
I, umm... Yeah. That was definitely a thing. It totally happened, and no amount of collective brain scrubbing will change that. The scenes where Honey actually was flying and flipping around like a manga character were a bit jarring because I swear her limbs were bending like noodles. I'm not sure that part really translates well.

Jan 12, 2012
Worgen said:
Why can't western things just go balls out with style like this? Even our games can't manage it as well as the Japanese can.
What is Kick Ass, or Guardians of the Galaxy, or Mystery Men (to keep with the theme of funny superheroes). There are plenty of really odd movies in western cinema, they just aren't taken as representatives of every movie made here.

OT: I could see this being used as the basis for a "Manga Are Weird" episode, or something about strange bits of Japanese cinema, but on it's own it just feels like Bob reciting a weird movie he saw without any reference to it's place in the big picture.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
LordTerminal said:
Waitaminute, what did Bob mean when he said "You were expecting something else"? Was there something everyone was expecting him to talk about this week?
Yeah, we where all expecting him to talk about Destiny this week!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Worgen said:
Why can't western things just go balls out with style like this? Even our games can't manage it as well as the Japanese can.
What is Kick Ass, or Guardians of the Galaxy, or Mystery Men (to keep with the theme of funny superheroes). There are plenty of really odd movies in western cinema, they just aren't taken as representatives of every movie made here.

OT: I could see this being used as the basis for a "Manga Are Weird" episode, or something about strange bits of Japanese cinema, but on it's own it just feels like Bob reciting a weird movie he saw without any reference to it's place in the big picture.
Sure we can do odd movies and games, but we still seem to lack the over the top insane awesome style that the Japanese seem to have mastered. For instance, you would never see something like The Wonderful 101 made at a western studio.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Wow, this actually looks like something fun to watch... I should really try to find more movies/shows like this...

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Wow, they translated that into live action way better than I thought was even possible.

Still looks kinda awkward, though. Awkward in the movement and direction kind, not the "I'm watching a girl take a bath" kind.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I watched that years ago and it was ok.... Sure I liked the stylish theme like updating Honey suit to looked like an heart shape armour and the action were good (escpecially those manga like shot) but other than that, I just find it dull inbetween Gold Claw fight and the final battle (I really didn't like the karaoke scene).
Also for a lived action film, it was nowhere near ecchi in the anime were you do actually see nudity in it!

Last thing, why did Sister Jill was played by a dude no offence to the actor and I guess the same apply to Gold Claw (both female in the anime by the way).

At least the updated anime Cutie Honey: Re was more enjoyed and ecchi and also did you know there was a lived action tv series that came out a couple years after that? Granted it was entirely different from the movie but I have no idea if it's any good or not.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
That's not my kind of sub-genre, but damn, that WAS a pretty good manga-to-film adaptation. At least as far as the action sequences go. Some of it does look stupid and hokey, but I think that can be chalked up to us expecting animation to have ridiculous defiance of physics, whereas we have different expectations for live-action. Comparable to the uncanny valley, I guess.

I loved the Black Claw song though. And Honey's reaction. I half expected her to say, "... 一体?" (thank you, Google Translate)

If there's ever a manga-to-film adaptation of Sekirei, it'll involve actresses with severe back problems.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
This is so weird, I'm torn between drinking alcohol to get the strange images from the video out of my brain and ordering the movie on amazon and watching the whole thing.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
I'm not sure if it would be better to watch this with or without subtitles.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Things are that bad eh Bob? Oh well never hurts to get away from US Hollywood. Anyone know of any other good live adaptions? They tend to be hit or miss so been avoiding them for a long while. Gatchaman looks good tho.

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012
Yeah...anime to film is never going to work with the west until Japan calm their shit, leave out the school girls and go all black leather like superhero's had to do before they were gradually accepted into western film.
I would say its pretty damn hard to find an anime that would work as a live action movie, but I wouldn't say impossible, I would say something like Hellsing or Death note could definitely have a decent chance in the west if done good enough.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
I'm curious, what drugs do Manga artists take? Or not take? You know, the ones that their doctors and psychiatrists have prescribed for them to be taken three times a day.
But seriously, I've always felt that anime should stay as anime. The whole beauty of the animated form is that there are no possibilities, no limits, anything can be done. All it requires is for someone to think it up in the first place. Once it becomes live action, visual constraints appear, and the end product comes out just plain wrong. A lot of the problem comes in the cost of production. To realise the manic vision of the manga original requires time and money that studio very often doesn't have. Thus the result comes out cheap and tacky.
Now there are some anime that have transferred well (GTO, Nodame Cantabile, Drops of God), but their main strengths were narrative rather than visual. There are others that could do so equally well (Nausicaa, Pluto, Vinland Saga, Last Exile, Infinite Ryvius), but again for the same reasons. When it comes to other possible productions, notably of the big three (GITS, Akira, Eva); again the key question is money. Could a studio/auteur have the capital required to make it a definitive possibility?

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Also, perhaps I missed it; but the movie was actually directed by Hideaki Anno, who also directed Neon Genesis Evangelion, which most people with even a passing knowledge of anime will have at least heard about.
Quite the rap sheet that man is giving himself. Still, he did make 'Nadia: Secret of Blue Water', so that just about evens it out.