The Big Picture: Real Cutie - Manga Turned Live Action

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
I think this movie has gone to the "So bad it's good" side of the graph. Or it would make an excellent drinking game. I'm okay with either.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
LordTerminal said:
Waitaminute, what did Bob mean when he said "You were expecting something else"? Was there something everyone was expecting him to talk about this week?
You must have missed all the recent kerfuffle.

The 3DS just added a a second analog stick and two extra shoulder buttons! Absolutely everyone (without exception) was expecting Bob to cover how it was going to change the face of the industry, since he's such an unabashed Nintendo enthusiast.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Cutie Honey! Woohoo!

Yeah, if you're translating anime to live action, then cranking the camp up to 11 like they did here is the way to do it. I don't think it worked as well with, say, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, which was trying too hard to be serious and so made the cheap effects stick out like a sore thumb, instead of embracing all the silliness like CH did.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
LordTerminal said:
J Tyran said:
LordTerminal said:
Waitaminute, what did Bob mean when he said "You were expecting something else"? Was there something everyone was expecting him to talk about this week?
Yeah, we where all expecting him to talk about Destiny this week!
What? I would've thought Yahtzee would be the one to expect that from.
He's joking. The "big story" lately has been nude pictures of celebrities being leaked onto the internet, so assume that's what he meant.

The other possibility would be #GamerGate, but I haven't actually been following that one and don't know what's it about. (I've just noticed a lot of threads on the Escapist, which usually means a storm has brewed in someone's teacup.)

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
@MovieBob: Is this a hint you're going to be doing a review of the live-action, Americanized, Kite?

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
I love Cutie Honey simply because it is actually so ridiculous. And the live action movie takes that to a so bad its good level. It also helps that it rarely tries to be anything else but a ball of cutesy, ridiculous, nudity. There's no secret message, explanations, or justifications in the narrative. So you don't need to try and do any mental gymnastics to justify the nudity. There is no justification, its just over the top and ridiculous, so you may as well laugh at it.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
uuuuuuuftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(ftr'(

^^
That was the result of me rolling around my head on the keyboard. Though the result was less diverse than when I got my nickname.

Now I'm gonna see this film!

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I recently started getting into Super Sentai. This looks so god-damn up my alley that I can't even stand it.

BRB, going to find out how the hell I can watch this.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
It doesn't look like those crazy, over-the-top sort of visuals translate very well into live action.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
To borrow a line from Roger Ebert:

I may disapprove of a movie for going too far, and yet have a sneaky regard for a movie that goes much, much farther than merely too far.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Yup, that brings back memories I'd repressed. I have warmer memories of the live action TV show version.

GinraiPrime

Aug 26, 2010
I've not gotten round to seeing this movie yet but I love Tokusatsu and I love Go Nagi and its great to see Bob mention Mazinger :D For a mech-head like me that's made my day! ^^

Anyways, for anyone thats interested the original 1973 Cutie Honey series got a release on dvd by Discotek Media not too long ago (beginning of the year I believe) so check it out! They're also releasing the complete Devilman series in November and they've got the 1st boxset of Mazinger Z avaliable right now, first time the series in its original format has been avaliable in the west! 2nd boxset out in December^^

Yeah, I am alittle bit of a Go Nagi nut lol

All it needs is for Great Mazinger, Getter Robo, Koutetsu Jeeg and UFO Robo Grendizer to get a release and I'll be one happy chappy! :D :D :D

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Barciad said:
I'm curious, what drugs do Manga artists take? Or not take? You know, the ones that their doctors and psychiatrists have prescribed for them to be taken three times a day.
Theres a story that one team creating a mecha story were stumped for inspiration, so they emptied out their pockets and worked from there.

And so was born Gold Lightan, the giant robot that disguised itself as a cigarette lighter owned by a young boy.

http://www.muramasaindustries.com/punditry/farwest/whatweretheythinking/whatweretheythinking.html

read it here, plus lots more that will make you go 'WTF?'

(though interestingly the final show in that article, Dairugger XV, did make it to the west as Vehicle Team Voltron)

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Well, you can't say the team behind this film weren't 100% committed to replicating the feel and look of the anime. For better or worse, I respect that.