The Big Picture: Real Cutie - Manga Turned Live Action

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
The author of Cutie Honey made Violence Jack?!

That's a tonal shift if I ever heard it.

Say, Bob, you ever consider talking about Violence Jack, too? Patience for Bennet the Sage reviewing it is wearing very thin.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm not familiar with Cutey Honey or this movie, but I would say that this is definitely how to do a manga/anime to live action adaptation.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Oh, we are SO getting a new segment here: ANIME! IS! WWWWEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIRRRRRD!

youji itami said:
MatParker116 said:
Anyone expect Spielberg and Cameron to ever make GITS and Atila? As for this looks good

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, You serious? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
If there's any news to coincide with this episode, it would be this:
http://io9.com/the-live-action-ghost-in-the-shell-movie-may-have-found-1630467236
Oh, yeah. It's happening. Fingers crossed it doesn't suck.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I have a fairly high tolerance for Anime bullshit but uh.... There's a line. And I've discovered for me, that line is live action.

Bryan Hinson

Mar 18, 2013
Has anyone watched both this and Kil La Kill? I'm curious if there are any connections beyond the obvious strength from skimpy clothing thing.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
If there's any news to coincide with this episode, it would be this:
http://io9.com/the-live-action-ghost-in-the-shell-movie-may-have-found-1630467236
Oh, yeah. It's happening. Fingers crossed it doesn't suck.
I'm not optimistic that this is going to be anything resembling good. In their desperate need to make it more palatable to they typical American they're going to fuck with it to the point it no longer resembles the source material in any way other than sharing a name.

Just look at what they had planned for a live action Akira, if you don't know already there are plenty of places to look it up. It would have been fucking terrible, and it might still get made.

Dickdatduck

Aug 2, 2011
Bryan Hinson said:
Has anyone watched both this and Kil La Kill? I'm curious if there are any connections beyond the obvious strength from skimpy clothing thing.
A Cutie Honey anime was made by Gainax and The studio behind Kill La Kill was founded by former Gainax employees.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Yep! And Sucker Punch was definitely a complex criticism of the male gaze and not directly inspired by this kind of thing at all.

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
Sylocat said:
Wait, this movie was directed by Hideaki Anno? Otherwise known as "Gen Urobuchi, v.1.0?" I guess this was before he lapsed into the fit of suicidal depression in which he wrote Evangelion.
Other way around. Anno finished the "original" Evangeion canon in 1997. And while EVA overshadows the rest of his career, it's a shame the 1988 GUNBUSTER series doesn't get more love these days. It's basically equal parts The Karate Kid and Starship Troopers, with a two-part finale that's so out there you honestly just have to see it to believe it.

For those curious: Anno "oversaw", but didn't direct, the 2004 re: Cutie Honey OVA. The first episode was directed by Hiroyuki Imashi, who'd later direct Kill la Kill.

I adore this movie. Anyone who thinks you can't adapt cheesy, kitschy 70s pop into something that's both modern and earnest is just doing it wrong.

Still not interested in watching any of Bob's content for the time being, but the forum is too appealing to ignore. Did he mention the director? With all due respect to Go Nagai, this film is far more an Anno piece than anything... but Go Nagai has always had a "hands off" approach to adaptations, which is why he became so famous and popular in the first place. Devilman TV and Devilman in manga form are sort of like Adam West Batman vs Frank Miller Batman.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Even I've seen enough footage of Power Rangers to know that this footage feels like something out of Power Rangers.

It also makes me realize how good Edgar Wright is as a director. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World also has goofy, over-the-top action scenes, but they don't look cheap like this. Not once during the watching of that movie did I think, "Wow, this movie is really badly shot."

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
When I saw the title of this episode, I instantly thought of how bad Dragonball: Evolution was. Otherwise, I question how none of the Lugers those henchmen had jammed up.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
Kahani said:
I'm not sure if it would be better to watch this with or without subtitles.
Subtitles? Oh come on, the way these folks were telegraphing their emotions, you'd need to be blind not to know the dialogue.

That said, I must find this insanity and add it to the madness in my skull. Bob, thank you for sharing this with everyone at a time when we all need a really good laugh.

spartenX

Oct 2, 2009
I really hate to be that guy, but I think your pronounciation of mzinger was off. I believe it should be ma-zin-ger, not ma-zing-er.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
It looks like the bastard, imbred child of the Power Rangers, Cheap anime, the Matrix, and all the drugs the producers could get their hands on.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
Sylocat said:
Getting a head start on Schlocktober, huh? All righty then.

Wait, this movie was directed by Hideaki Anno? Otherwise known as "Gen Urobuchi, v.1.0?" I guess this was before he lapsed into the fit of suicidal depression in which he wrote Evangelion.
Actually, no, this is much after.

Original run of Evangelion was 1995-1997. Cutie Honey was 2004. The only conclusion we can draw is that making mad bank on a maudlin series about pointless miseryguts and getting acclaim as some kind of soulful genius when all he really did was make a show vaguely alluding to weird stuff without bothering to connect the dots in any coherent way made him so happy that he was able to direct Cutie Honey with frenetic energy.
The problem with evangelion, and it's something that you don't seem to understand either, is that it's not really about what's happening and you kind of have to have had depression to really understand what he's trying to accomplish. So what seems like a random series of events, is actually building towards a theme.

Anno is a genius. and Evangelion is his master work.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
mecegirl said:
I love Cutie Honey simply because it is actually so ridiculous. And the live action movie takes that to a so bad its good level. It also helps that it rarely tries to be anything else but a ball of cutesy, ridiculous, nudity. There's no secret message, explanations, or justifications in the narrative. So you don't need to try and do any mental gymnastics to justify the nudity. There is no justification, its just over the top and ridiculous, so you may as well laugh at it.
That's pretty much what I took away from that series, I have one of the OVA series someplace and it's pretty much the same thing: cutesy, ridiculous and nudity. Sometimes you just want action and cheesecake and nothing else. :D

While we're on the subject, I'd really love to see a live action made from "Black Lagoon", loved the anime series myself.