The Big Picture: Real Cutie - Manga Turned Live Action

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol, i think i will have a look for it. here in hong kong they do sell a lot of jap movies and im sure i saw that one too. but it just looks so ridicules that i might hate it. expect for cute girl of course. she is just fine.

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
Mushrooms. Bob must be on mushrooms. That is as good an assumption as any other. But seriously, I'll check it out. Growing up in Brazil, our tv was flooded with Japanese tv shows with that kind of vibe. Later, when the Power Rangers debuted, we, Brazilian kids of the 80's, saw it for what it was, a repackaging of old shows we saw earlier, but with white actors, mostly.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Go Nagai is a weird duck. I still have an old copy of VHS Hanappe Bazooka lying around here somewhere which is still one of the weirdest damn things I've seen.

As for Cuter Honey, I recall having the full New Cutey Honey series from ADV and really enjoying it but I was never able to track down the original 1970's show and until now it all just fell off my radar.

I've got a buddy who has the Cutey Honey live action movie, I'll have to see if I can't give it a look see some time soon.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Ah this is awesome. Going to have to watch this in secret though. Not sure how I'd explain a grown man clapping his hands and laughing his ass off at something like this.

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
LordTerminal said:
Waitaminute, what did Bob mean when he said "You were expecting something else"? Was there something everyone was expecting him to talk about this week?
Don't ask. It's depressing, to say the least - you're better off not knowing.

On the other hand, if you feel some sort of morbid desire to voluntarily ruin your day, take a look at the off-topic discussion forum and look for the topic with around 700 pages of replies.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I.. am actually really happy watching this video. I feel happy to see something so lighthearted with all the stuff with Gamergate and everything else, it's nice to hear something so positive on here, even if it is batshit insane, but wonderful. Great video, MB, I really want to see this now.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I..er...what? So much wierdness compressed into so little time....and....that mic/backup band sting....what.the.hell.?

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Casshern looked good when I saw the trailers, but was very boring.

The live action anime remakes that Takashi Miike has been in charge of have been interesting.

Yatterman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOxpqtSzs9s

Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TWzHxwe0h8

Great Yokai War - not sure if this was an anime but was quite good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy1ITOpC9Jc

He makes so many movies he can churn through even ones may seem "slight" and come up with something interesting.

I would like to see what a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles remake with him directing would turn out like.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Worgen said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Worgen said:
Why can't western things just go balls out with style like this? Even our games can't manage it as well as the Japanese can.
What is Kick Ass, or Guardians of the Galaxy, or Mystery Men (to keep with the theme of funny superheroes). There are plenty of really odd movies in western cinema, they just aren't taken as representatives of every movie made here.

OT: I could see this being used as the basis for a "Manga Are Weird" episode, or something about strange bits of Japanese cinema, but on it's own it just feels like Bob reciting a weird movie he saw without any reference to it's place in the big picture.
Sure we can do odd movies and games, but we still seem to lack the over the top insane awesome style that the Japanese seem to have mastered. For instance, you would never see something like The Wonderful 101 made at a western studio.
You know that's the beauty of it, if I want to play something stylistic and over the top I will choose Bayonetta, Viewtiful Joe or No More Heroes if I want to play something atmospheric and heavy I will go with Dishonored, Deus Ex or Bioshock. Variety is good, I don't want Japanese games to become westernized and vice versa. Then again embracing respective influences isn't such a bad option (FFT and VS come to mind).

And Man

May 12, 2014
lastjustice said:
Looks like a good movie to watch and drink a bunch of alcohol with my friends to.
That's exactly what I thought; this looks like a great "drunk with friends" movie

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
I had a Bollywood flashback when the minor boss broke out in a song and dance routine.

This...is...odd enough that I find myself strangely interested in it. I think this is a movie I should watch with a nice red wine and a bottle of Southern Comfort.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I would kill for a Western action movie to have a bombastically colorful league of Robot Master lieutenants. So many styles! So many insane techniques! So many distinct personalities and motivations that may not even be totally aligned with their boss's goals!

coates32

Jun 10, 2011
I'm fairly familiar with the Go Nagai, I love a lot of the stuff studio Gainax put out (such as Panty and Stocking, Gurren Lagann, ect.), and I even watched the Helldriver (think Casshern with zombies), but even I think this truly bizarre.

twosage

Oct 22, 2013
I guess The Death of Superman was so mainstream, Bob needed to throw an otaku hipster curveball to even himself out.