The Big Picture: San Diego Comic-Con 2013

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
daibakuha said:
Riobux said:
Doesn't have to be fans of the comic to be a comic book fan, and market it like a Dreamworks film? Well, go trailer watching. I'll wait.
I've seen a Dreamworks trailer before, which is why your comment is utterly ridiculous. There's literally nothing noteworthy about any of their trailers.
I'm glad we both agree on the value of Dreamworks. Come here, let's bro-hug.

maconlon439

Nov 16, 2011
For goodness sake people, will you stop saying that a successful Zelda movie is impossible? It's not. The only other movie Nintendo made is Super Mario Bros, and it failed because of reasons that don't apply to Zelda. Namely that the Mario game's plot is only the bare bones of what makes a plot. People rag on the Mario movie because it was unfaithful to the source material. As a movie, it would have been worse if it actually was faithful. Zelda games have very structured plots with dense mythology and character development. It can work as a movie.

Also, if there ever is a Zelda movie, Link must talk in it.

The only reason Link is mute in the games, is that Nintendo is using a technique to make the player consider Link an extension of their own being. Since in movies that doesn't work, Link has no solid reason to be mute. Link talks in the Manga and people have no problem with that. Link talks in the old cartoons and some people like the cartoons. The people who hate the cartoons don't do so because Link talks, they do so because in the Cartoons Link is a horn-dog egotist who frequently spouts a dumb catchphrase.

JSW

Oct 7, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
I can't wait for the dark and gritty flash movie where his family dies in front of him in order to spurn him in his quest for vengeance/"crime fighting", and then he has to kill the villain to stop him from hurting someone.
Professor Zoom. Iris West.

jimClassic

Jun 4, 2008
Wow, I wasn't aware that Simpsons would be crossing over with Futurama, and also Family Guy.
I'd be down for a Flash movie; why the heck not.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
About Wonder Woman: Have you seen anything from that Wonder Woman TV series they canceled at the last minute? Yeah, even they don't know what to do with their own character. So they just threw, Batman, Iron Man, and Superman at a screen and hoped it made Wonder Woman.

Anyway, cautiously optimistic for Flash. He's one of the most powerful DC heroes, so he could make a good action packed movie. Not sure who could threaten him, though. His speed makes him like a step down from Supes in that regard to me.

Robocop... No comment.

Godzilla. Honestly, I'd almost rather have a cheap Toho movie. They are awesomely stupid and fun.

As for Marvel, they had Loki onstage. Almost just because they could and they knew he would go over well. Why didn't that even get a mention, Bob?

Marvel is winning so hard, right now. And it gives me hope for Star Wars. Maybe that's wrong, but it does. Also, I figured they would hold off on the big guns for Avengers 2.

Raiha

Jul 3, 2009
kinda drunk. took a few notes on this bob.

marvel needed to make thor before captain america. let DC take a few slightly less expensive steps before they jump into a green lantern type disaster again. flash will probably not set the world on fire, but they need everyone to be established for JL to work. you know wonder woman is in the works, just be patient.

leave zelda alone. zelda is perfectly fine, just the way it is and needs no hollywood influence. for the general gamer subconscious zelda is a cornerstone, but for the mass public it is just the general shapes and sounds of video games. it will have so much executive meddling that it will bear no resemblance to what we love about the series. the story of
The Legend of Zelda" is timeless, it can be told in much better ways if not tied to a franchise.

super excited about ultron. really can't wait

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Not even RoboCop can save Detroit now.
On the other hand, it looks like the actual setting for Robocop now... so maybe we'll get him in a different form than a movie...
chimpzy said:
Ew, that new Robocop suit looks awful IMO. Like they blended together some spare Batman costumes from Nolan's movies with the helmet from Daft Punk's Guy-Manuel.

Also, PG-13? Seriously?
That was a surprise as well, considering that the Dredd reboot took the exact opposite approach.

Personally, I think Robocop could only work as an anime-style reboot, where he's moves less like those Honda androids and more like the antagonist in Terminator 3. There's just something not very threatening about a robot you can defeat by running around a corner and walking the way home...

Also, they've got to do something about that armor. It looked bad in 1995. It's hideous now.

Realitycrash said:
Still no Batman Beyond?
..God DAMNIT.

(Yes, I am going to continue to ***** and moan about this. I don't give a crap about Wonder Woman or Superman or Justice League. Give me Batman Beyond).
The ultimate irony? They wouldn't have to do much writing for this. They literally could just take the episodes that deal with blight, give them a cyberpunk live version, and call it good. Hell, they could even just use the Zod spandex suit from Man of Steel, switch out the logo, add a good and paint it black with red lightlights. Use some no-name young wannabe from a cable show and find a semi-ripped old guy and you've pretty much gotten everything short of the camera work and special effects done on the cheep.

Hell, you could get Clint Eastwood to play old Bruce Wayne. How awesome would that be?

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Flash getting a new movie before Wonder Woman is kinda bullshit. Like come on she's the most iconic female super hero next to I dunno, fuck who else is there as well known as her? Supergirl? pfft. Make a damn Wonder Woman movie dc god damn is it so hard.

Ultron being the bad guy in Avengers 2 seems odd, figured Thanos was gonna be set up in Guardians then carried through in to Avengers 2. Oh well that's still awesome, Ultron is a fun villain though not exactly the most original concept.

Burning Desire

Apr 16, 2010
wait robocop has hands now?and looks like he is wearing a body suit. they are killing my childhood memories one at a time

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
TakerFoxx said:
theultimateend said:
I'd actually go Day 1 to see a Batman Beyond film.

For me I also want a Batman film that features Hamil as the joker. It would be an older Batman and an older Joker (since Hamil is getting older) and perhaps could be the death of Joker.

Would be fantastic.
They did that already. It's called "Return of the Joker." Sure, it was straight to video, but it's a Batman Beyond that features Mark Hamil as the Joker.
Live Action?

I'll go check I guess. The internet does exist.

Edit: no no. I mean live action.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Dont diss flash, flash is amazing.

And godzila has A LOT to live up to now that Pacific Rim was awesome.

Ah, spiderman, the only highly liked superhero that still havent had a good real life movie. and looks like it wont.

but i agree this is a very interesting time in history to live in.

Retrograde said:
That's nice. The most important part of Robocop to everyone else is the extreme bloody violence. This movie is going to bomb, hard.
really? thats what folks took out out of Robocop? "i am dissapoint"

Lightknight said:
I've genuinely never understood Wonder Woman's role as one of the big three other than to be the token girl.
thats because she is the token girl. she is one of the least interesting superheros ever, and considering how many there are...
the onyl redeeming factor is the backstory, at least you get to see some tied up people.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Retrograde said:
Strazdas said:
really? thats what folks took out out of Robocop? "i am dissapoint"
Yep. That's disappointing why exactly?

It was funny too to be sure, there definitely was more to it than violence, but when there was violence it was memorable.

You think source material like this isn't going to be abject ass as a PG13?
im not saying it should be PG13 (i hate that rating anyway), im saying that Robocop was not about violence.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
BabySinclair said:
Mr. Q said:
As for the reveal of Ultron being the main baddie for Avengers 2 (Thanos looks to be part of Guardians of the Galaxy), I am deeply surprised by this reveal but rather pissed about it. Mostly because its not going to involve its creator Hank Pym aka Ant Man. I know that he's getting his movie in phase 3 and people are rationalizing that having a biologist who can also create an evil A.I. is a stretch but it still burns my ass that neither Hank Pym or Janet Van Dyne are going to be a part of Avengers. Honestly, I'd let X-Men: Days of Futures Part have Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. I want my Ant Man/Giant Man and Wasp be part of Earth's Mightiest Heroes on the big screen. Is that asking for too much from Marvel?
Pym hasn't been cast or anything yet but I wouldn't count at least him to make an appearance in Avengers 2 since Ultron is kind of his creation. While he won't be getting a stand alone until Phase 3 knowing how Marvel has been doing its setups I wouldn't be surprised for an appearance or mention to Ultron and Pym, probably in Cap 2

And Wonder Woman can easily be done. Hell, Joss Whedon's given them a script in the past and since we've seen how his comic book movie debut with Avengers turned out... really DC? Skip the jet and just go with Flight, Strength, Bracers (bullet-proof metal is easy to pass off), Speed, and yeah so, the Lasso of Truth is magical, you're making a movie about a guy who can run really fast and Green Lantern's ring isn't much beyond magic itself so you're running out of excuses. There are also good actresses who can play the part, you don't need Oscar-winning actresses, just one who looks like she could actually kick your ass with a good acting capability.
They could always position her as analogous to the Avenger's Thor- the magical one from a Greek Culture (rather than Norse) on the Team. It could be done, but Warner Bros. et al. apparently are idiots.