The Big Picture: San Diego Comic-Con 2013

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Retrograde said:
Strazdas said:
im not saying it should be PG13 (i hate that rating anyway), im saying that Robocop was not about violence.
You have SEEN Robocop, right? There is a man shot until he is turned to jam, and a dude that melts. When the Big Bad is blown away in the finale, he's shot like 7 times with a hand cannon and then blasted out a window, and a man grins and gives Robo a thumbs up. Murder is AWESOME, says the film unambiguously.

But if you watched Robocop and came out meditating on the nature of transhumanism, more power to you I guess.
Yes i have and i think that jut becuase there is graphic violence it does not mean that the movie is automatically about that.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
RatGouf said:
I don't know how a Legend Of Zelda Movie would even work if everyone who wants to see it expects Link to be quiet. If it weren't for that we'd probably have a LoZ movie by now. We may even get Everquest & The Elder Scrolls movies before a LoZ movie since Link must be quiet.
Link doesn't need to talk, just his companion of the evening.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ronack said:
Lightknight said:
It's perfectly possible that I've missed her performance in some form considering how many things she's in. I particularly liked her role in Kingdom Come. At her best, she's portrayed as a magic-based superwoman with her peripherals being mostly for looks.
There's the rub, innit. She's being screwed over by people that can't write her for shit. All they need to do for the Live Action movie is give writing duties to Gail Simone. At least she gets her.
Characters are only as good as their writers. Wonder Woman's writers have been really terrible and so her character has been one of the most boring ones I can think of. Only Aquaman beats her out for lamest Justic League character. The personality of a stuck up diplomat or a mother (at times) combined with the lamest peripherals i can think of. Don't get me wrong, green arrow has a punching glove arrow. But that's just one of many in his arsenal and is mostly a joke now. But everything she has is lame. They have to create new things (like the valkarie armor with magic sword in Kingdom Come) to make her look cool.

If you ask me, Wonder Woman needs a serious rewrite as a character if she's going to be an icon. She matches neither Superman for powers nor Batman for intelligence/planning. If she's going to be one of the big three then she needs to at least beat out Power Girl.

What's more, even if you like her backstory, it's been rewritten multiple times, moreso than several other heroes. She has been one of the most inconsistent characters of all and I'm sure that's due to her existence during equality movements but the reasons do not negate the effect.

Her, read this: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/07/wonder-woman-movie/

I mean, Hell, Wonder Woman comics started out as a thinly veiled BDSM comic. You're talking, as the article states, about a militant feminist whose outfit and peripherals are bondage gears. Even if it's not overt in today's comic, this isn't far from the surface of thought. The article even touches on Gail Simone's take as basically writing her as something else, other than wonder woman, and if you're going to do that, why use her at all?

She isn't a character that is easily used. As a Character, she honestly has no business in the big three as is. I'd like to see some good female heroes taking the role. I just don't know who else it'd be. They have to be powerful enough, fast enough, or smart enough to be there and also distinct. I know you are personally a fan of her, but she's really a niche hero that is shoehorned into the big three just as accomodation and as a mating partner for Clark.

Strazdas said:
Lightknight said:
I've genuinely never understood Wonder Woman's role as one of the big three other than to be the token girl.
thats because she is the token girl. she is one of the least interesting superheros ever, and considering how many there are...
the onyl redeeming factor is the backstory, at least you get to see some tied up people.
The back story? Which are you referring to? It changes in every generation.

She at least has her fans nowadays. That's more than we can say for most other female characters in the DC universe.

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
Bob just put down the Flash...

That's my favorite DC character. Bob seems a little hostile towards DC characters. Why is this?

For the record, I really enjoyed Man of Steel. And no, they should not change the creative team because they're doing excellent work. At first I thought adding Batman to the mix already seemed like a bad idea, but it is a nice set up for the Justice League. More importantly, it will allow Superman's character to really come through. I'm cautiously optimistic.

The Marvel stuff does sound cool though. I'm looking forward to those. I just hope they don't alter any more characters like they did with the Mandarin. As much as I liked Iron Man 3, that part really bothered me. I think it's because I had started to trust that Marvel Studios would have respect for its characters and not alter them in significant ways. The Mandarin sets a dangerous precedent.

And the Flash is awesome. That is all.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Holy shit, Ultron is for real! Goddammit, they missed a gold-encrusted platinum trophy opportunity by not making Iron Man 3 about the creation of Ultron. But then they would have missed making this awesome reveal.

And Jesus fuck Bob, just leave Man of Steel alone already. So you didn't like it, so fucking what? I liked it a lot, and am definitely excited to see Superman vs. Batman.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
Isn't The Flash good news, in the case of a team-up with DC Movie universe Superman and Batman? Now that Batman and Superman seem to share a similar attitude and personality(Superman being worse, I suppose, since he kills people now) in the DC movie universe, the last thing they need is Wonder Woman. I only watched the Justice League cartoons, but her personality seems to already be a very serious, violent warrior. It worked fine in that show, but I don't think she's very interesting on her own, and I can't imagine that DC can make a good movie out of her unless they try to make Thor again with Greek mythology and have everyone take on Ares. At least the Flash is a fun character, in something else than a Deadpool way. I just hope they make his antagonist the very intelligent gorilla and not another man wearing the same costume he does, but with an inverted color scheme.

Ultron looks cool. I saw what they could do with the Destroyer. I'd love it if this guy has other abilities than shooting lasers that make things explode, though.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
theultimateend said:
Live Action?

I'll go check I guess. The internet does exist.

Edit: no no. I mean live action.
No, it's animated. But it's still pretty awesome though.

ShadowHamster

Mar 17, 2008
bartholen said:
Holy shit, Ultron is for real! Goddammit, they missed a gold-encrusted platinum trophy opportunity by not making Iron Man 3 about the creation of Ultron. But then they would have missed making this awesome reveal.

And Jesus fuck Bob, just leave Man of Steel alone already. So you didn't like it, so fucking what? I liked it a lot, and am definitely excited to see Superman vs. Batman.
Except that Ultron has NOTHING TO DO with Iron Man, he was designed by Hank Pym, and became a killer A.I. to the same Mental Faults that turned Hank Pym into Yellowjacket. Hank Pym modeled a robot brain after his own brain(because Hank Pym is a crazy sci fi scientist and can do that.) which caused Ultron to have obsessive issues. This led to him wanting to wipe out life in Marvel and replace it with superior synthetics.

Also, Bob whined for 2 sentences, I'm whatever on it. At least he isn't taking the whole episode to go "wah, soopahman, wah".

I personally am still holding out on Marvel being sneaky. You don't have to suggest Ultron's origins here, he's a time traveling badass as it is, so maybe have Ultron constantly speaking down on someone and the characters going, "oh, he's freaking crazy". In addition, Ultron never calls, or refers to Pym by name, he calls him "father" and has a tendency to rant about "father" which could make him easy to pull off without bringing up Pym, but still leaving most of his origin in tact.

I hope that's the case, because Hank Pym is actually an awesome character, and that is his really ONLY villain. It also leaves room to go into detail FOR Antman, which is part of Phase 3 anyway. It also meets the trends of how Marvel is so mums the word so they can do said twists.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
ShadowHamster said:
The whole Ultron thing wasn't implying that I expected it to follow Marvel canon, it was just a plot I'd thought up in my head, and considering how drastically Marvel adapted the Mandarin in Iron Man, IMO it wouldn't have been entirely implausible. It would have gone something like this:

After the Chitauri's invasion Stark Industries starts developing electronic, remotely controlled mini-iron men to act as additional backup for The Avengers in case the shit hits the fan. To assist in this would be Pym, a newly recruited scientist. The main plot would have followed the plot of Extremis (the comic), with Tony Stark designing new systems for his Iron Man suit. The Ultron thing would have been a side plot where Pym gets carried away with his research and develops a conscious AI called Ultron which goes mad and then rogue. The post-credits scene (or final scene) would have been Pym coming to Tony all hysteric, and revealing that Ultron has left the planet and is some day going to return. IMO it woulda been cool.

And it's not about how much Bob bitches about MoS, it's how often. Remember how many times he referred back to The Dark Knight Rises' faults in his later reviews? It feels like Man of Steel is becoming that all over again.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Goliath100 said:
Lightknight said:
I've genuinely never understood Wonder Woman's role as one of the big three other than to be the token girl.
That is because nobody else does either.
She has boobs of steel. That's pretty much it.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Flash? Heck yea! Go back and watch the cartoons, Flash is a great character who really mixes up the team dynamic so that all the heroes aren't a super powered stick in the mud. How many times has Flash been the heart and soul of the team that kept the team from becoming like the Justice Lords or a Flash been willing to give his life to save the Earth? Having Flash is something that makes me look forward to a Justice League movie.

Robocop. Yea I don't like look. But what really makes me worry about the film is the string of really bad re-boots, re-launches, re-imaginings, and re-whatever we have been getting out of Hollywood. It just seems almost rare for a production team to really get what made something work in the first place. My gut feeling, and I hope I'm wrong, is that Robocop will be another Total Recall.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Kajin said:
Goliath100 said:
Lightknight said:
That is because nobody else does either.
She has boobs of steel. That's pretty much it.
Let's not forget the lasso of trust (originally called the lasso of obedience)... if you're into that kind of thing.

Diablo1099 said:
...So what was the point of Thanos's Cameo then if they pull this bait and switch?
That's what I was wondering. Perhaps still related and it's an early push for a third movie to face off agains him. As if the silver surfer movie had preceeded a third movie with Galactus in it. Not sure how the heck they'd tie him in with Thanos though so I'm guessing no.

I wonder if Tony will create him.

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
The end of Iron Man 3 so telegraphed Ultron for Avengers 2.

As soon as Stark entered the party time protocol and you realized he was talking with Banner at the end.

It basically said I'm not depending on my suits so much anymore; I'm still an Avenger; and I will make something to pick up the slack for my lack of direct physical involvement.

Which screamed Ultron!

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Riobux said:
daibakuha said:
Riobux said:
Doesn't have to be fans of the comic to be a comic book fan, and market it like a Dreamworks film? Well, go trailer watching. I'll wait.
I've seen a Dreamworks trailer before, which is why your comment is utterly ridiculous. There's literally nothing noteworthy about any of their trailers.
I'm glad we both agree on the value of Dreamworks. Come here, let's bro-hug.
At this point your arrogance is quite frankly staggering. At no point have you ever provided any motivation for your opinion, only smugly told people to go look things up for themselves as if no explanation was necessary. And now you have the gall to try and jokingly dismiss the whole argument by twisting what others say? Disgusting.

Just because I actually DO like to do some thinking myself, I will attempt to play along with your argument. DreamWorks typically makes Action-Comedy movies with a cast of colorful and well-developed characters. Their trailers usually showcase this by focusing on the roller-coaster action and witty one-liners to sell tickets. Both their skills at making trailers and movies are top-notch.

How you apparently think this somehow relates to Guardians of the Galaxy is beyond me though. Not only is it not an animated movie but even if they did build their trailers in the same style as DreamWorks build theirs it is no guarantee it will sell. The fact of the matter is that making a live-action movie with a cast consisting of a walking tree and a talking raccoon is extraordinarily silly and therefore highly risky. Appealing to the comic-book fans isn't going to help either since the guardians are a very obscure group in the marvel universe and their fanbase isn't nearly large enough to guarantee that they will make money of a project like this.

Your "argument" fails on every conceivable level.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Silverspetz said:
At this point your arrogance is quite frankly staggering.
Let me stop you there. There's a reason why I'm coming off as arrogant to you: Respect. I do try to show respect to those who disagree, but I tend to drop that respect off a cliff the second people start using language that isn't informative but rather destructive. It's why I likely come off as though I'm just toying around than taking the conversation seriously. My opinion is legit, but the manner is to reflect the farce of the argument. Likewise with that you've just said. You're not responding to discuss, you're responding to argue. This is why I'm not responding to back up my claim, but if anything to make that bundle of rage called your response hilariously useless, needlessly destructive and above all: A complete waste of time.

I hope you calm down. Maybe we'll discuss and not argue when you do. I like discussions, walks on the beach and I've lately become rather fond of Roxy Music and the soundtrack to Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Riobux said:
Silverspetz said:
At this point your arrogance is quite frankly staggering.
Let me stop you there. There's a reason why I'm coming off as arrogant to you: Respect. I do try to show respect to those who disagree, but I tend to drop that respect off a cliff the second people start using language that isn't informative but rather destructive. It's why I likely come off as though I'm just toying around than taking the conversation seriously. My opinion is legit, but the manner is to reflect the farce of the argument. Likewise with that you've just said. You're not responding to discuss, you're responding to argue. This is why I'm not responding to back up my claim, but if anything to make that bundle of rage called your response hilariously useless, needlessly destructive and above all: A complete waste of time.

I hope you calm down. Maybe we'll discuss and not argue when you do. I like discussions, walks on the beach and I've lately become rather fond of Roxy Music and the soundtrack to Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.
That is even more ridiculous. Daibakuha was never anything but respectful in his comments and yet you never once said anything constructive or thoughtful. Just a bunch of absolute nonsense without merit.

And a discussion is MADE of arguments. Arguing and discussion is basically the same thing. The fact that you actually try to use this difference in wording to escape the discussion only further proves what a waste of cyberspace everything you say on this site is.