The Big Picture: San Diego Comic-Con 2013

themilo504

May 9, 2010
The world of war craft movie might be good as along as it has nothing to do with the actual plot of world of war craft, unless you want a movie that spends it entire runtime trying to come up with contrived reasons for why 2 morally grey factions fight with each other despite the fact that a villain is trying to destroy the world.

Also retcons lots and lots of retcons.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
For Marvel: I...really don't care. I haven't really cared for their films in awhile because they'e basically on a factory production line.

Batman/Superman: We'll see how this goes. I pity the poor bastard who has to fill Bale's shoes. As for Justice League, let's just be honest about this: Wonder Woman is HARD to cast. Furthermore, things can change

Godzilla: Not getting my hopes up, especially since Pacific Rim was released

World of Warcraft: That...could be interesting. I almost want Jones to cast his dad as someone just to fuck with people. As for a Zelda movie (or any Nintendo movie in general) here's a good rule of thumb: give up. It won't happen, mostly because Hollywood wouldn't know what to do with it. The closest you'll ever see to a Zelda adaptation are the officially licensed manga. At best you might get an anime series or two. But a movie, forget about it.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
New Robocop sucks so much.You just know he will be flipping around like a ninja....and if he does walk slowly like the original then why have a sleek design? They should keep the chunky look from the original and mordernised it a bit. An as for PG-13.....waste of time. Why is everything being aimed at kids? Werewolves, zombies are now PG13. When i was a kid all horror was 18 cert.

Avengers 2 will be good, as will Thor and Cap America. I dont know to much about Ultron as i dont read comics, but from what i read about him, he is going to kick so much ass. I guess Thanos will be in part 3, though he will probably be in A2, pulling the strings from behind the scenes.

Superman vs Batman. Waste of time. Being that both movies are set in a real world setting, how can anyone beleive Batman would have a chance against Superman? I know it happened in that Frank Miller book. It just wont work. An if they used kryptonite to enable Batman to win, even then i doubt it could happen. An i dont want anymore kryptonite in Superman films. Its such a cop out.

Godzilla. AWESOME. I hope.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Sorry, but it's hard for me to be excited about an army of silly characters, in silly suits, with silly powers fighting each other just because. I understand comic book appeal, but most of old characters need to just go away and give way to new ones, fresh ones.

Nghtgnt

May 30, 2010
Dear Everyone,

If you are going to pre-judge the Robocop film, instead of basing your opinions on how Robocop looks you might want to do some background research on the director, Jose Padilha, and more specifically actually go out and find a subtitled version of Tropa de Elite [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0861739/?ref_=sr_1] (Elite Squad). If ever there was a right person to helm a remake of this franchise, Padilha is it.

I'm disappointed in you Bob.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Can I ask why Comic Con get exclusive trailers?

There's a lot of anger from Doctor Who fans that Comic Con got an exclusive trailer for the 50th anniversary episode. I am annoyed myself. But I want to understand why Comic Con get exclusive trailers. Sure Comic Con benefit from having an exclusivity. But why do Fantasy Media makers invest time and people-power producing these exclusive trailers?
In what way did The Doctor Who team (and other such groups) benefit from this?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Kinda makes me wish Escapist would spring for Moviebob to take part of Comic Con just to get their residential geek expert on the ground floor of this annual event. Everyone should attend Comic Con at least once in their lifetime imo.

Superman/Batman: Sounds cool on paper but, after the mess of Man of Steel, I'm not feeling hopeful for any future DC Comic movies. This just feels like WB and DC going back to what worked before without learning from their mistakes or retooling the staff that are making these films. Plus the Flash getting a movie before Wonder Woman further proves their ineptitude. The only way DC Comic movies will get better, imo, is that an actual team is brought together to do this right. Jim Lee, Dan Didio, and Geoff Johns do not fucking cut it. DC should have kept Bruce Timm and Paul Dini as part of the brain trust but not doing so because WB felt they were only good for cartoons only shows what kind of witless monkeys we're dealing with. I wanna be proven wrong but both parties need to get their shit together like yesterday.

Godzilla: I'm feeling more hopeful for this since they look to be sticking closer to the Godzilla cannon but its too early to say. Fingers crossed on this version being a hell of a lot better than the Roland Emmerich abomination.

Robocop reboot: Yeah, this looks to be a stinker on epic levels. I'm not 100% dead set against reboots but you have got to stop and ask yourself "Does this need to be told again?" Judging from the photos and previews, it looks like that question was never asked.

Amazing Spider-Man 2: I'm trying to be hopeful for this sequel but I've got my doubts. Not just the Mr. Freeze looking Electro but the news that its got him plus Rhino and possibly the death of Gwen Stacy. I'm starting to feel like this is becoming Spider-Man 3 where they're trying to cram 10 pounds of stuff in a 2 pound bag. I may be wrong but we shall see.

World of Warcraft movie: Damn! Was not expecting that. Gotta agree with Bob that it sucks Zelda has yet to make it to the big screen. Hey, Nintendo! Take what happened with the Super Mario Bros. movie and DO THE FUCKING OPPOSITE! Get someone who respects the property and can translate it properly. It can be done!

Futurama/Simpsons crossover: Shame that this series got the ax once again. But I am interested on the crossover between the two worlds of Springfield and New New York.

Simpsons/Family Guy crossover: OK, that's a bit bizarre but I'm open to it. Just hope Seth McFarlane's humor doesn't overrun the entire thing.

Marvel Studios: You know what? At this point, Marvel/Disney is pretty much the 600 pound gorilla of Comic Con - does whatever the fuck it wants. I'm stoked to see the upcoming Thor and Captain America sequels. I'm wondering how Guardians of the Galaxy will turn out. This is a major play by Marvel on so many levels. We've got James Gunn writing/directing a big budget sci-fi comedy of a popular but untested property where two of its main characters is a living tree and an alien raccoon. That's ballsy!

As for the reveal of Ultron being the main baddie for Avengers 2 (Thanos looks to be part of Guardians of the Galaxy), I am deeply surprised by this reveal but rather pissed about it. Mostly because its not going to involve its creator Hank Pym aka Ant Man. I know that he's getting his movie in phase 3 and people are rationalizing that having a biologist who can also create an evil A.I. is a stretch but it still burns my ass that neither Hank Pym or Janet Van Dyne are going to be a part of Avengers. Honestly, I'd let X-Men: Days of Futures Part have Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. I want my Ant Man/Giant Man and Wasp be part of Earth's Mightiest Heroes on the big screen. Is that asking for too much from Marvel?

Either way, I'm gonna be busy in the years to come.

BTW, Bob. You need to sit down and do a Big Picture episode on Ultron and other Marvel Universe baddies hitting the big screen like yesterday.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Aiddon said:
As for Justice League, let's just be honest about this: Wonder Woman is HARD to cast. Furthermore, things can change
This right here. I cannot agree any more than humanly possible. Especially if you consider what MovieBob said previously about said Woman of Wonder. (Not spoiling. Go see for yourself. He did a Big Picture on this as well. See for yourself. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2628-All-The-World-Is-Waiting])

CAPTCHA: very nice

Why thank you, Captcha! Though, personally, I cannot take any credit...

Merklyn236

Jun 21, 2013
Marvel continues to run victory laps, and DC continues to wonder why taking a huge crap on its own characters can't get the same kind of returns (though MoS did make a ton of cash....still trying to figure that out). And the Flash? Seriously? I'll flag Marvel for not having given a full movie over to a female comic book character's solo outing, but at least they have done worthwhile efforts with many of their female characters (Peggy Carter, Black Widow [despite her awkward outing in IM2]). I'm saying it now: If Marvel, who does NOT (IMHO) have a female character on the level of Wonder Woman puts out a successful female-character film before DC does a Wonder Woman solo film - DC will owe it's entire fanbase an apology for lack of effort.

How can remake a film that is based on so much violence, satirical or not, like RoboCop and PG-13 it without effing it up? Simply put - you can't. Bombs away.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Marvel is risky Bob? Guardians Of The Galaxy, a film that looks like a Dreamworks production is risky? Damn it Bob, you're losing me. I haven't face palmed this rapidly since I used to read anything by Shamus Young.

Yes Bob, I'm still reeling from you calling Pacific Rim original and that everyone needs to see it because there was a chance in hell of it bombing.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Riobux said:
Marvel is risky Bob? Guardians Of The Galaxy, a film that looks like a Dreamworks production is risky? Damn it Bob, you're losing me. I haven't face palmed this rapidly since I used to read anything by Shamus Young.

Yes Bob, I'm still reeling from you calling Pacific Rim original and that everyone needs to see it because there was a chance in hell of it bombing.

Are you kidding? It's a 5th tier superhero comic adaptation, directed by a guy who's last two films bombed, starring a 4th tier comedy actor from a show that almost nobody watches. Not to mention it's completely different then what they've previously established.

All of these things are good, but don't kid yourself, this is a risk. A big one.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Lightknight said:
I've genuinely never understood Wonder Woman's role as one of the big three other than to be the token girl.
That is because nobody else does either.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Sorry Bob but answer me this, how the hell do you think Warner Bros would/ could of handling at making Wonder Woman as a live action film? Since they couldn't nail down the live TV series, I just don't think they could of done Wonder Woman justice by bringing her to the big screen just yet. Sure you can say about Thor but yet again they would of avoid trying to copies the way Thor was made. So overall I welcome The Flash as the replacement for Wonder Woman.

Also while I have no problem with Robocop new design but I know it will suck for the PG-13 rating, come on! Robocop films were rated 18!!!

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
"Change creative team? Thoughtfully consider the direction you're taking the series? etc. etc.?" I saw the joke coming there from the moment it started. Hollywood doesn't do anything thoughtful.

RTK1576

Aug 4, 2009
Let's see:

- Superman/Batman: I really don't know anymore. It could be an improvement over Man of Steel. Then again, it might end up being more of the same (which, for the record, is NOT what I'd like to see).

And personally, there need's to be a Wonder Woman movie. It's time somebody had the balls to do it (and I can't tell if that line was ironic or not).

- The new Robocop looks like a rejected suit of armor from the Mass Effect series. This does not bode well.

- Godzilla: I hope this is good, but it's hard to see it topping Pacific Rim in terms of satisfying action. It'll probably make more money though, due to name recognition.

- Amazing Spiderman 2: I don't have the animosity for the first one you do, Bob, but then the movie didn't make much of an impression on me. I expect the same result from the sequel.

- World of Warcraft as a movie... I honestly don't care. If it's good, it's good, but I honestly don't care.

- AHHHHHHHH! FUTURAMA! I'm still in mourning.

- Marvel still looking good. Any bets on how much influence Mass Effect will have on Guardians of the Galaxy?

- Ultron... not unexpected, but I'm curious why they decided to push off Thanos until later.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Don't forget that supposedly Fox announced it was doing and X-Force movie.

They haven't said which X-Force, but I'm really hoping for the recent Uncanny Team (Wolverine, Archangel, Psylocke, Deadpool, Fantomex, and possibly Nightcrawler)

I'll admit right now that Guardians of the Galaxy is the Marvel movie I'm MOST looking forward to.