The Big Picture: San Diego Comic-Con 2013

pottyaboutpotter1

Mar 3, 2013
Superman/Batman: As someone who loved Man Of Steel, I am really looking forward to this. And Warner Bros isn't counting Man of Steel a failure like you are. To them it's a huge success.

Robocop: PG-13 doesn't really spell doom. You'd be surprised how much you can get away with in a PG-13 nowadays. Plus they are opening themselves up to the biggest possible audience in what is essentially a huge risk. And Bob, you need to level your expectations. Looking at a movie and going "That movie is going to be terrible. I just know it is." will gurantee you won't like it, see; The Amazing Spider-Man and The Lone Ranger.

Godzilla: Looks okay. I may check this out.

Amazing Spider-Man 2: I loved the first one so I am really looking forward to this.

Futurama: Well, I'd rather it end now than keep going and end up like Simpsons.

Futurama/Simpsons: Has the potential to be great.

Simpsons/Family Guy: Considering I've always said Family Guy is a cruder rip off of Simpsons so hopefully they will get called out in this.

Marvel: What can I say? Everything they've announced and showed has got me super excited for all of their movies.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Lightknight said:
I've genuinely never understood Wonder Woman's role as one of the big three other than to be the token girl. Her whole backstory is borderline (more directly) sexist albeit against males, her "lasso of truth" and bullet proof bracelets and the invisible plane have all struck me as particularly silly. Her powers have also WILDLY varied over time so that I'm not really sure what her current powers are, even with the help of wikipedia. DC is one of the best examples of a universe with poor female characters, most of whom are just copies of already existing male heroes. I'm not sure who I'd place in that top teir position though, and maybe that's why DC is stuck with one of the only unique female heroines to stick the test of time (name recognition) who also has comparable powers to the a-listers. The same goes for non-white heroes where they can't be bothered to make a new hero so much as just slap the same white hero's costume on them and give them a different name. Shame on them.

So yeah, I can see Flash getting there first (teehee). Here's to hoping that DC gets their act together. I mean, I can maybe see Power Girl but she's literally a female kryptonian. At least they didn't call her Supergirl/Superwoman and slap on the same costume (this time). Zatanna? I don't know, they've really done themselves a dis-service by making wonder woman one of the only viable distinct female heroes. Compare to Marvel who has at least a few legitimate options they can put in there who are unique and sometimes quite powerful (Invisible Woman, Jean Grey/Pheonix, Jubilee(joking), Storm, and a few more. There aren't many, female characters have trouble selling comics so they have trouble existing. But DC is really far behind here.
In fairness to this practice, it's not like comic companies never tried to break out new characters,but they tended to flub and flub hard. Hence, yeah, we don't get a new Muslim original hero, we get a new Muslim Green Lantern.

DC in particular has survived a lot of it's life on its iconography to the point where the comics don't matter. Wonder Woman is an ideal that probably rarely even lived up to the feminist icon she's painted as (how many years was she the JSA's secretary), but it really doesn't matter. She's an icon that's been around for consistently 70 years. Of course that icon status works against her. We get Flash because you can screw it up a bit without too much flack. Wonder Woman would be gone over with fine toothed comb, and the directer and studio execs flayed alive for anything that didn't live up to that feminist ideal she gets painted as.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Redd the Sock said:
DC in particular has survived a lot of it's life on its iconography to the point where the comics don't matter. Wonder Woman is an ideal that probably rarely even lived up to the feminist icon she's painted as (how many years was she the JSA's secretary), but it really doesn't matter. She's an icon that's been around for consistently 70 years. Of course that icon status works against her. We get Flash because you can screw it up a bit without too much flack. Wonder Woman would be gone over with fine toothed comb, and the directer and studio execs flayed alive for anything that didn't live up to that feminist ideal she gets painted as.
Which she invariably will, because ask ten people what the "feminist ideal" is and you'll get eleven different answers.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Steve the Pocket said:
Redd the Sock said:
Which she invariably will, because ask ten people what the "feminist ideal" is and you'll get eleven different answers.
No argument. Just getting it out there before too much finger wagging happens at DC when they have every reason to be hesitant about the idea.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
You know, however sketchy everything else coming out of Comic-con is sounding, Marvel doing cool things keeps me happy
(generally being what I care about the most). Super fucking excited for the next Cap' movie, it's going to be fucking awesome to see more of him adjusting to the character and Chris Evans is great in the role. What's more is that we're getting more Black Widow, and Robert Redford is in it as well. How about that? I could not give two fucks about Robocop when we're getting this.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Goliath100 said:
Lightknight said:
I've genuinely never understood Wonder Woman's role as one of the big three other than to be the token girl.
That is because nobody else does either.
This generally appears the be the problem. She is unappealing as a hero.

Redd the Sock said:
In fairness to this practice, it's not like comic companies never tried to break out new characters,but they tended to flub and flub hard. Hence, yeah, we don't get a new Muslim original hero, we get a new Muslim Green Lantern.
Well, it's a little easier for Marvel to introduce new IPs as members of a team since they're largely team-based (Avengers, X-men, Fantastic Four, etc). DC is largely comprised of the Justice League and not a lot else. The thing is, they haven't really even leveraged the Justice League to add new female characters. They have used it to strengthen weaker characters in the universe but not to create them. I mean, Red Tornado was created that way but I can't think of others.

Her being an icon doesn't help when you get into the specifics of her. Her peripherals are, frankly, dumb. From her sharp boomerang golden tiara to her bullet proof bracelets. Her association with the Amazons who murder men and are incredibly sexist puts her in a different category than just a feminist. It potentially goes to all out sexist albeit against men. I mean, I can imagine her being rewritten somehow, but as it stands, she's one of the lamest or most boring characters I've seen in that universe. Even several of the rip-off females (the ones who are just assigned the male counterpart's powers/outfit rather than being unique) are far more interesting than her.

Ronack said:
It irked me to no end to see him put Flash down as just a guy that runs fast.
Yes, potentially one of the most powerful beings in the DC universe. Quite interesting that he'd be dismissed so easily. Anything from time travel to passing objects through otherwise impassible solids (imagine the flash putting a krytonite gem in superman's heart). The super fast additionally applies to thinking in such a way that not only allows advanced calculations, but also makes them resistant to mind control/reading.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Realitycrash said:
Still no Batman Beyond?
..God DAMNIT.

(Yes, I am going to continue to ***** and moan about this. I don't give a crap about Wonder Woman or Superman or Justice League. Give me Batman Beyond).
I'm finishing up the complete series of Batman Beyond (I even legit bought the box set to do so) and man oh man.

I'd actually go Day 1 to see a Batman Beyond film.

For me I also want a Batman film that features Hamil as the joker. It would be an older Batman and an older Joker (since Hamil is getting older) and perhaps could be the death of Joker.

Would be fantastic.

Lightknight said:
Ronack said:
Yes, potentially one of the most powerful beings in the DC universe. Quite interesting that he'd be dismissed so easily. Anything from time travel to passing objects through otherwise impassible solids (imagine the flash putting a krytonite gem in superman's heart). The super fast additionally applies to thinking in such a way that not only allows advanced calculations, but also makes them resistant to mind control/reading.
Yeah I figured he was just getting angry because Flash has a penis.

I really like Wonder Woman and would love to have a movie with her in it. But I also really like the Flash and am giddy to see them trying again with him.

Shit they could do a Lady Flash if that would make Bob stop bitching.

I'd have no qualms. I figure some folks would but there have been 3 flash (that I know of) thus far...nothing wrong with a 4th.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
daibakuha said:
Are you kidding? It's a 5th tier superhero comic adaptation, directed by a guy who's last two films bombed, starring a 4th tier comedy actor from a show that almost nobody watches. Not to mention it's completely different then what they've previously established.

All of these things are good, but don't kid yourself, this is a risk. A big one.
All they have to do is market it like Dreamworks markets their films, and they're instantly rolling around in money. Not to mention, you have the comic book fans flocking. This is, as usual, safe.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Riobux said:
daibakuha said:
Are you kidding? It's a 5th tier superhero comic adaptation, directed by a guy who's last two films bombed, starring a 4th tier comedy actor from a show that almost nobody watches. Not to mention it's completely different then what they've previously established.

All of these things are good, but don't kid yourself, this is a risk. A big one.
All they have to do is market it like Dreamworks markets their films, and they're instantly rolling around in money. Not to mention, you have the comic book fans flocking. This is, as usual, safe.
What are you even talking about? Market it like a "Dreamworks movie"? The fuck does that mean?

And for sure they'll get fans of the comic, all 400 of them. Comics fans alone don't fill theaters and make a billion dollars.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
A PG13 ROBOCOP MOVIE?!

WAT.

Oh hurray, hollywood will not take chances with an R rated movie anymore. Its gotta be crowd pleasing to gain a profit for their wallets and overinflated budgets.

about the other news though, i can't wait for marvel's the next line of movies, especially Cap America 2~

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
I don't understand why people hate the new superman movie. I thought it was great and my friends and I have frequently talked about who is going to play Lex Luthor. On another note, I never really liked wonder woman on account of her being a little too weird at best and a lot too bitchy at worst. And how is the flash boring compared to her? Sure it's hard to beat casual lesbian bondage woman with superpowers but his super power isn't actually moving fast, it's connecting to a (basically) magical power called the "speed force".

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Ronack said:
Let's look at the Flash from the movie goer's perspective here. If you'd had no knowledge of the character from reading comics, which is precisely where the studio is going to lob their script, what would you know about him? Hint: The answer is: He can run fast. My very next response? "Flash! Ah-a, Saviour of the Universe!" Which I know is actually about Flash Gordon, but, it's not like the Flash is a household name. He will have to be built up from nothing to start.

Fraggy1

Jun 27, 2012
Merklyn236 said:
Marvel continues to run victory laps, and DC continues to wonder why taking a huge crap on its own characters can't get the same kind of returns (though MoS did make a ton of cash....still trying to figure that out). And the Flash? Seriously? I'll flag Marvel for not having given a full movie over to a female comic book character's solo outing, but at least they have done worthwhile efforts with many of their female characters (Peggy Carter, Black Widow [despite her awkward outing in IM2]). I'm saying it now: If Marvel, who does NOT (IMHO) have a female character on the level of Wonder Woman puts out a successful female-character film before DC does a Wonder Woman solo film - DC will owe it's entire fanbase an apology for lack of effort.

How can remake a film that is based on so much violence, satirical or not, like RoboCop and PG-13 it without effing it up? Simply put - you can't. Bombs away.
Carol Danvers/Miss Marvel is on the way and Whedon is apparently interested. Hell Scarlett Johansson wants a Black Widow film as well.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
theultimateend said:
I'd actually go Day 1 to see a Batman Beyond film.

For me I also want a Batman film that features Hamil as the joker. It would be an older Batman and an older Joker (since Hamil is getting older) and perhaps could be the death of Joker.

Would be fantastic.
They did that already. It's called "Return of the Joker." Sure, it was straight to video, but it's a Batman Beyond that features Mark Hamil as the Joker.

ShadowHamster

Mar 17, 2008
Bob didn't whine that much about Zach Snyder moving on to Superman II! It wasn't an entire episode! Thank god.

On a related note, I think this is a good move, rather than Batman getting a new movie to establish a new batman, they are throwing him in the next Superman film. This is exactly what Bob kinda asked for sorta. He said just have him in JLA, but they are instead taking a page from Iron Man 2 and having Batman tag up with Superman in the SUPERMAN sequel.

The Flash thing gets me though, when the hell are they going to figure out how to do Wonder Woman? Possibly never, DC hates women, just look at how they handle women who work for them, let alone the imaginary women they literally own.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
daibakuha said:
Riobux said:
daibakuha said:

What are you even talking about? Market it like a "Dreamworks movie"? The fuck does that mean?

And for sure they'll get fans of the comic, all 400 of them. Comics fans alone don't fill theaters and make a billion dollars.
Doesn't have to be fans of the comic to be a comic book fan, and market it like a Dreamworks film? Well, go trailer watching. I'll wait.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
theultimateend said:
Yeah I figured he was just getting angry because Flash has a penis.
Yeah, but it's a flash penis so you'd hardly know it was there.

I really like Wonder Woman and would love to have a movie with her in it. But I also really like the Flash and am giddy to see them trying again with him.

Shit they could do a Lady Flash if that would make Bob stop bitching.

I'd have no qualms. I figure some folks would but there have been 3 flash (that I know of) thus far...nothing wrong with a 4th.
I think they could use Wonder Woman but they'd have to do some real research to write her and cast her properly. Green Lantern would have been good if they hadn't butchered him and I'm glad they didn't go Aquaman (historically has been far below Wonder Woman in my book. Recently, however, they've made him better).

Ronack said:
This actually got my eye to twitch, because my god are you wrong. Wonder Woman is far from the Token Girl in this trio. Just watch the DC Animated movie of Wonder Woman to see what she can bring to the table. Not only as a character, but for mythos as well because she can bring motherfucking Ares to the battlefield.
It's perfectly possible that I've missed her performance in some form considering how many things she's in. I particularly liked her role in Kingdom Come. At her best, she's portrayed as a magic-based superwoman with her peripherals being mostly for looks.