The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2012: Attack of the Super Monsters

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Oh my dear Bob, you think the "Gemini/incest" stuff is bad in this movie? Then you have never seen Aquarion. Brother and little sister are pilots of huge mechs, and the mechs become more powerful when they "merge" with each other and become a bigger robot Power Rangers style. Big brother is known as the best pilot in the land (of course) and little sister is sort of second-best, but she gets insanely jealous of anybody else who wants to "merge" with her brother. She goes on and on about how she wants to be the first to "merge" with him.

And to drive it all home, when they do merge it's apparently a very...stimulating experience, and every time the people merge in the show they moan in ecstasy and shout "So good!" And IIRC their clothes disappear for a moment while in transition. Yeah...

portal_cat

Jun 25, 2009
When I heard the 'they are twins that merge into one' the first thing that came to mind was
Game of Thrones: Twins having sex......ew

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Dear...

*long overdramatic pause*

...God.

Okay...usually when I see something in this vein, I usually talk about wanting whatever drugs they are on. This time...I think we should find out what drugs are involved and get rid of all supplies of it.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
PsychedelicDiamond said:
So... was that one scientist guy voiced by Dan Green?
If you mean Dr. Moustache, I thought he soundes shockingly like LittleKuriboh doing his Yami voice. I guess that is his Dan Green impression, so it's possible.

On another note: When Jim and Jem (the truly outrageous) merge their robot halves and become Gemini (or is that Jemini?), what happens to the human halves of their bodies?

labbu

Nov 18, 2009
I love Schlocktober, provides me with plenty of movies next time my friends and I are doing a movie night.

But really, the anime characters running around with these live action monsters look REALLY weird...

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
That was.... odd....

The ultra low budget this show had. Are the characters being animated to actual photographs of actual places? They couldn't draw a background for them?

Those toys, those puppets. I think I'm still dreaming. This is scary in a completely different way. Good find Bob.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Ken_J said:
Save yourself some pain don't look up Warriors of the Wind
Thank JesuOtaku we've been able to get the original for some time now. I guess Disney can be the good guys sometimes.

Lilani said:
Oh my dear Bob, you think the "Gemini/incest" stuff is bad in this movie? Then you have never seen Aquarion.
Never heard of that one. I thought of Maze Bakunetsu Jiku [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maze_(anime)], which is basically "What if Ranma 1/2 took place in a parallel fantasy world, but the gender switching worked more like Ladyhawke, and male Ranma and female Ranma were actually twin siblings with incestuous feelings?"

But I also thought of occult alchemy [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Work#In_Thelema].

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
How the hell have I not seen or heard of this?

And, yeah, sorry, the twins thing doesn't creep me out anymore given recent and not so recent japanese obsession with a sister complex. The level of shamelessness it's achieving however, that does creep me out.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
"Gemini!........You cannot save..........the Human Race. Mwhahahahahahaha!"
My god, the voice acting in that is terrible.
And yeah, the whole sibling merging thing is more than a little creepy even for Japan.

Edit:
Lilani said:
Oh my dear Bob, you think the "Gemini/incest" stuff is bad in this movie? Then you have never seen Aquarion. Brother and little sister are pilots of huge mechs, and the mechs become more powerful when they "merge" with each other and become a bigger robot Power Rangers style. Big brother is known as the best pilot in the land (of course) and little sister is sort of second-best, but she gets insanely jealous of anybody else who wants to "merge" with her brother. She goes on and on about how she wants to be the first to "merge" with him.

And to drive it all home, when they do merge it's apparently a very...stimulating experience, and every time the people merge in the show they moan in ecstasy and shout "So good!" And IIRC their clothes disappear for a moment while in transition. Yeah...
Oh yeah, I forgot about that anime. Forget what I just said. It's perfectly normal for Japan.

andersgeek

Jul 6, 2010
Susan Arendt was right when she tweeted yesterday that this would be the greatest thing ever.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Continuing from yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.391875.15789424]
DVS BSTrD said:
You Cer sei a lot of messed-up stuff on this show.
Fucking puns...

On topic: There is literally nothing about this that was shocking to me once I found it it was from Japan.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Falseprophet said:
Never heard of that one. I thought of Maze Bakunetsu Jiku [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maze_(anime)], which is basically "What if Ranma 1/2 took place in a parallel fantasy world, but the gender switching worked more like Ladyhawke, and male Ranma and female Ranma were actually twin siblings with incestuous feelings?"

But I also thought of occult alchemy [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Work#In_Thelema].
Yeesh. That sounds probably more awkward than Aquarion, but I'd have to watch it to be sure. Either way, I don't get what Japan's fascination with the brother/sister relationship is (especially big brother/little sister), but it's everywhere in anime and as the little sister to a big brother, it makes me want to crawl in a very deep hole and hide from the incredibly awkward media.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
hmmm... japan. this is very japan. not japanese, just japan.

Also I'm intrigue but i'd prefer to see the actual series as i don't care for episode compilation movies much.

Also i'm not much of prude, but sex with a sibling is kinda gross. Also it fucks up the genetics in kids. So people saying Bob (and in one case all americans) is a prude for not liking that is probably an only child and not a geneticist.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
GamemasterAnthony said:
Dear...

*long overdramatic pause*

...God.

Okay...usually when I see something in this vein, I usually talk about wanting whatever drugs they are on. This time...I think we should find out what drugs are involved and get rid of all supplies of it.
I think the right question is, what kind of drug cocktail we're they taking when they made ....this? because one drug isn't enough to create this weirdness.

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
NinjaDC said:
Stupid psychic T-Rex,
Its Crush,kill, destroy, Swag.
Not Death, kill, destroy.
I prefer "HURT//MAIM//KILL" myself,
close second being "Shoot! Smash! Chop! Stomp!".

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
Last week, I laughed out loud at the orca jumping out of the water, celebrating the explosion it had created. This week, I couldn't help myself at the sight of cloned animated men fleeing down the street from the dinosaur puppet. I'm happy to have experienced this.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
And there's a reason why the trope Widget Series [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WidgetSeries] exists.