The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2012: Attack of the Super Monsters

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
Well, now I know what I'm getting my brother for Christmas this year.

Also, this is currently out of stock at Amazon- low print run, or Bob's influence?

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
GamemasterAnthony said:
Dear...

*long overdramatic pause*

...God.

Okay...usually when I see something in this vein, I usually talk about wanting whatever drugs they are on. This time...I think we should find out what drugs are involved and get rid of all supplies of it.
I thought the same thing myself and speaking of Dinosaurs, next year sentai series is going to be Dinosaur themed(That's the 3rd dinosaur themed sentai for those keeping score) but with a twist. The dinosaurs are going to hologram pets that the heros partner with leading to alot speculation that the series is a tribute series to Digimon since 2013 is the 15th anniversary.
On top of which, the series is being rumored to being writen by Yoshio Urasawa who not only wrote the "japanese" 1st season for digimon, but also worked on Carranger and Abaranger.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
All I can say is, at 3:14, it's pretty obvious even the Japanese think that all Asians look the same.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
You know, I always tell people that I'd watch The Big Picture even if it wasn't my job to do so, because I enjoy it so much. Aaaaaaaand episodes like this are why. Because now I know this movie exists, and that makes me terribly happy.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
OK that means I got something to show a friend of mine, he likes hallucinations I believe... Or I just show him what I just watched.
But I think I will get him drunk before..

Oh and well that was a weird episode... but fun in some way still..

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Ah yes, Attack of the Supermonsters. It was 2002's selection for Mystery Anime Theater 3000 at Otakon.

The writers for MAT3K actually complained that mocking the film was just too easy, and went back to more conventional fare the next year.

Pity they had the good sense never to make those tapes publicly available, but still... Funny stuff.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Gotta leave it to Shclocktober fill my skull full of WTF? Then through exposition bore a hole in my skull to alleviate some of that WTF.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
This looks.... like the greatest thing ever made.

I'm not joking, this looks so incredible, I... I have nothing to say. Absolutely astonishing. I think I'm going to buy a Lotto Ticket and rent Scorpion King 3, because I cannot think of anything better to do today from seeing this exist.

It's like when I first saw Dollman, I was at a loss for words. I thought that was the greatest movie ever made, but then I found this exists and... I've seen the error of my ways, I think.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
For years now my favourite "so bad it's good" movie was Godzilla vs. King Kong. The first time a bunch of friends and I watched it on VHS we actually had to stop watching because we were all in pain from our howls of laughter. It looks like Attack of the Super Monsters might actually be even more hilarious.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Ha! Great one. I'm friggin' dying over here laughing. Bob, my neighbor had one of those huge, 80s-style satellite dishes in his back yard. His family was from Japan and they liked to watch pretty much only Japanese channels. I got to see Go Lion (the show they made Voltron out of)in it's original, uncut beauty. And I swear to goodness that I've seen this show before. Then again, there were about fifty million of these shows on at any given time. Great show as usual man. Thanks!

Namechangeday

Aug 13, 2012
I seen a clip of this movie many times at an anime convention during a lame anime panel.
Glad I got more insight on this movie/anime/Idunno

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
Stop melting my brain! Between Calculus, weird pop culture, and trying to understand people in general my neurons will never reassemble.

Hans Maulwurf

Oct 23, 2012
hey bob,
I think that "Izenborg" in the Japanese name is actually German and stands for the German word "Eisenberg" which can be translated as "Iron Mountain".
This is of course a theory and de facto unimportant, but I thought I tell you anyway.
The only way of making sure is by someone who speaks Japanese.

holacoaster

Apr 27, 2012
I judge how good a schlocktober episode is by the number of times a surprised "...the fuck?" is forced out of me. By those standards, I may have to conclude this is the best one yet, narrowly beating out King King Lives.