The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2012: Orca

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
MrBaskerville said:
So it´s Moby Dick with an Orca?
I was WAITING for someone to make a Moby Dick reference! BOB! You're slipping!

Though, honestly, if the guy actually quoted Moby Dick, it probably would have crappified the movie a bit...
Except it's the whale that wants revenge.
And the guy whos girlfriend lost her leg to the sea monster.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
ouh, I remember seeing Orca as a kid, and it definitely left an impression on me even then

I don't remember much, as it's been a while since I last saw it, but I'd always try to catch it if it's on TV

the Whale Jump? in front of the explosion made me lol though :D great moment

Studsmack

Sep 28, 2012
The Punisher: Orca

I, I... I have to watch this. A killer whale sabotages a fishing village to smoke out his baby momma's killer to combat him on the icy waters of northern Ireland. Fantastic.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
So what you're saying is Jaws Unleashed is Orca the video game? Seriously, if you haven't played it or seen much of it, Jaws Unleashed is one of the most strange, off the wall insane games ever, complete with on land buildings getting blown up and of course fights with Orcas (and a Colossal Squid that pushes the definition of colossal).

BTW I also called the film for the second week... yet no tease for next week? Remember, Bob uses the full month. Ok, this is a long shot but The White Buffalo? Same producer.

LonelyWizzard

Mar 14, 2011
As someone with a serious phobia of Killer Whales, I think you may have just introduced me to the scariest movie I will ever see.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
Mega Shark vs. Orca. Why isn't this being made?!

I'm noticing a theme of animal/monsters this year for Shlocktober. I guess I'll have to wait another year for Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter to make the cut. :(

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Daveman said:
Didn't that ice berg bit also happen in futurama?
Yep, but the whale actually ate the dark-matter oil stained penguins that set out to kill all non-penquins on Pluto, on Bender's orders, the Fry saved Bender and Leela from the same whale.

I think I watch too much TV.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Orca: I don't know who you are, I don't know what you want, if your looking for randsom I can tell you I don't have money... what with me being an Orca, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have aquired over a very long life in the ocean, skills that make me a nightmare for fisherman like you. If you let my family go now that will be the end of it, but if you don't, I will hunt you, I will catch you and I will kill you.

Sorry, I saw Taken 2 the other night (it was meh) and couldn't help myself.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Man, I love this movie.

It's even better than that part in Deep Blue Sea where
the super-intelligent sharks dismantle a submarine.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Daveman said:
I was thinking the same, and it kinda puts that scene in more context for me. This is probably the first one I might actually hunt down and watch, because that just looked right up my alley of batshit insane awesome.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I remember that movie, made quite a while i had seen that, i remember enjoying it trought

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Daveman said:
It does.

Whether or not its an intentional shoutout is the real question now...

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Oh man I was just old enough to see that one in the theaters when it first came out. Probably not a good decision. Some of the films scenes still appear in my nightmares. But even through the fogged memories of my terrified pre pubescent youth, I still remember it as an astonishingly good movie in it's own right. A good story. Maybe not quite as tightly done as Steven Spielbergs epic Jaws. But far far better than any other man vs animal or mutant animal horror movie that has come out in the almost 40 years since. Really Bob's right. It's one worth watching.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Loved that crack at the end about Free Willy not taking the initiative.

I do have to take issue with the idea that simply because you're intelligent automatically means you know things. While "Orca" looks like a fun movie, I wouldn't be able to let go or get past the idea of it knowing gas is flammable (and how to light it) or knowing which pipes carry it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
BONKERS!!!! That show fucking ROCKED! :p

Anyways....

OI! BOB! What's with ditching the festive pumpkin faces to go back to the standard faces?

Anyways....

Gotta say, I think this might be the first MovieBob video that actually made me want to watch the movie in question. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all the videos, but this is the first one where I found myself wanting to see it...mainly just to see if it's as bad as the Piranha movies.

But then again, those have always been billed as "trying to be bad", haven't they? So I guess it wouldn't be fair to compare.

Also, I'm no marine biologist, but I'm pretty sure that killer whales don't roar.