The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2013: Dead Heat

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Blunderboy said:
And this goes straight to the top of my "must watch" list.

Edit - And it's on Netflix. Hells yeah.
Mine too.

The chinese restaurant scene sold it for me.

That and the cheesy 80s one liners. :D

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I remember renting this movie as a kid. Me and my dad were both really into buddy cop movies and this seemed right up our alley, until one died and was brought back. I absolutely dug the movie, my dad not so much.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I notice that Bob mentions all the cool quasi enjoyable or at least tolerable parts of this movie, and somehow neglects the true level of pain inducing suck that is Joe Piscopo in it? I saw it in the 80's. It made m y brain and eyes hurt then. I tried to rewatch it recently. I just don't think I can get that drunk anymore.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
That has to be my favorite zombie interpretation. If zombie related crap is not very funny, it gets really boring.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Sorry, Bob. But I'd rather take constantly QQing Jason Bourne, than whatever this pile of nonsense was. Quality over cheese and all that.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I remember this movie. I also remember that the scene in the Chinese Buther shop damn near made me go Veg for good.

Anyways, fun little cheesy movie.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
This... ..this would actually probably make for a decent remake/revival.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
you know.

ever year, there's at least one movie in these that actually looks pretty awesome. I believe this is this years movie for that.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
themilo504 said:
I?m suddenly curious if somebody ever made a buddy cop movie with a vampire or a werewolf or maybe a centaur.
if that ankh-morpork city watch series ever gets off the ground, you'll likely have a werewolf, vampire, gorgon, gnome, troll, dwarf, zombie and even human-who-was-raised-as-a-dwarf as potential buddies.

Lunar Templar said:
you know.

ever year, there's at least one movie in these that actually looks pretty awesome. I believe this is this years movie for that.
Well, I think we have two at least, considering bio-zombie last week

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
R...Roger Mortis?

oh my god i think im having a heart attack ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaa

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
"Roger Mortis, Homicide" sounds like a pitch for a TV series to me.

Also, gotta love Vincent Price basically parodying himself.

Falseprophet said:
But what I'd like to see is a buddy cop movie where a vampire and a werewolf are partners.
Yes!

Nice list of recommendations, by the way. I haven't heard of Full Eclipse before.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
I've been really impressed by the picks this Shlocktober, my girlfriend and I have enjoyed them all, especially Bio-Zombie.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Right off the bat I'm confused. While I agree with the view of it feeling like there's a new zombie something every week, did you have to pick old examples for each medium? Also I'm not sure Left 4 Dead is on the same level in the game industry as that Trejo B-movie is in the film industry...

...and again, why are you ripping on Zulu? In no way was that film on a character, tonal or contextual level a "zombie film". It's a war epic/biopic about a real battle, hordes and all. If anything it takes the imperial mentality the British had down by a huge peg by its conclusion. Did you look beyond that old outdated poster you flashed up? One I've only seen here mind you.

Multiple niggles aside, another great Schlocktober. On paper this genre mash up makes my intrigued. Recently we've also had the romantic comedy so maybe some other genre perhaps? Sports or costume drama maybe? This film seems like something that would be imbraced by teh internet if made today.

Love that non-stop close range shoot out haha! So far all films in Schlocktober have at least one kickass scene to remember, hope we get more in the coming weeks.

Wriggle Wyrm

Jun 15, 2011
I remember watching this movie years ago and it was wonderful. My favorite thing about it is far from wallowing in misery, it manages to maintain a rather disturbingly upbeat tone, even when what?s happening to the characters is utterly horrific.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Two zombies blasting each other with machine guns over and over just made my day :D .

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Blunderboy said:
Edit - And it's on Netflix. Hells yeah.
YES!!!

Doodeedoodeedoo, log into netflix, type up Dead Heat, click search:

Dead Heat is unavailable to stream

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- oh well.

I was honestly excited for a moment as many of these schlocktober films looks like they could be fun to watch in the same way that intentionally blowing your line in a play to redirect the course of the plot to through everyone else off and mutually having a good laugh. Unfortunately none, absolutely none of them have appeared on the Canadian version of netflix.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
Ken_J said:
The cow does not make that scene more awesome. That is some grade A Nightmare Fuel Plus when that thing walks in.
Really? I thought that bit was absolutely flipping hilarious! The part where all the meat comes back to life, careful, your dinner might take revenge on you! Worth watching just for A: 2 zombies blow the shit out of each other with machine guns for a 2 full minutes, B: fighting the hunk of beef C: the butcher shop scene, and D: Treat Williams is awesome. "I'm ****ing dead, lady!"

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Falseprophet said:
themilo504 said:
I?m suddenly curious if somebody ever made a buddy cop movie with a vampire or a werewolf or maybe a centaur.
There was Nick Knight [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Knight_(Forever_Knight)], starring Rick Springfield, about a vampire detective in LA. It was spun-off into the Canadian TV series Forever Knight, which was pretty good for its time (early 1990s) but might feel dated today. Nick has two human partners over the course of the series, one who never knew Nick was a vampire, and one who knew vampires existed, but didn't know Nick was one.

A series with a somewhat similar premise was Blood Ties [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Ties_(TV_series)].

Also Kindred: The Embraced [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindred_the_embraced], the only live-action adaptation of the Vampire: The Masquerade tabletop RPG. The main character was an LA cop who learned that vampires were real, but didn't realize his partner was a vampire sent to spy on him.

Innocent Blood [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocent_Blood_(film)] is a movie where an undercover cop trying to bring down the Mafia teams up with the vampire who accidentally made the mob boss into a vampire. It's kind of cheesy but a lot of fun too.

For werewolves, there was the Mario Van Peebles film Full Eclipse [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Eclipse], but it's not really a buddy cop movie. It's about a special anti-gang unit of the police who are werewolves.

Vampire and werewolf cops and private detectives are really popular in urban fantasy fiction as well.

But what I'd like to see is a buddy cop movie where a vampire and a werewolf are partners.
I've actually seen Full Eclipse. Not bad but its been a long time since I've seen it.

Would be cool to see a vampire/werewolf 80s buddy cop action movie. =)

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I think we may have an early contender for this year's best Schlocktober entry.