The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2013: Dead Heat

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
A Zombie-themed 80s buddy cop movie with Joe Piscopo AND Vincent Price in it? XD Where the hell was this in my video store?!

I've check the IMDB website and found out that it also had Robert Ricardo (of Star Trek Voyager and The Howling fame) and Lethal Weapon writer and Iron Man 3 director Shane Black!

Good news is that its out on DVD and Blu-Ray on Amazon. Definitely will track this down.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
AJey said:
Sorry, Bob. But I'd rather take constantly QQing Jason Bourne, than whatever this pile of nonsense was. Quality over cheese and all that.
How can you take quality over cheese when they are the same thing? :D

The Random One

May 29, 2008
An eighties cop buddy action comedy with zombies... If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't believe it.

Also unbelievable, that the response to "Detective Mortis, Homicide" wasn't "Is that your department or your cause of death?"

Thk13421

Nov 22, 2009
Am I the only one who really, really loves 80's buddy cop movie banter? I just think it's goddamn hilarious.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
At first glance I thought the dude behind the counter who shot Mortis was Will Arnett.

And yeah...re-animated zombie cow is pretty awesome.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
That carcass is horrifying to me. Looks like a real fun movie apart from the villains, though. This is the movie you've told us about that I most want to see except for the Orca.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
You know that part with the cow meat could be made into a great video game horror creature since it's quite scary looking! It kind of look like a giant headcrab!

Zarbear

May 4, 2012
OK 5:19-5:40 is pretty spectacular.

I can't look at Joe Piscopo and not immediately think of the TNG episode where Data tries to learn stand-up comedy from him.

MikeN

Nov 5, 2009
Stabby Joe said:
why are you ripping on Zulu? In no way was that film on a character, tonal or contextual level a "zombie film". It's a war epic/biopic about a real battle, hordes and all. If anything it takes the imperial mentality the British had down by a huge peg by its conclusion. Did you look beyond that old outdated poster you flashed up? One I've only seen here mind you.
Bob has used "Zulu" as a reference to racism before in his Warm Bodies review so it looks like he's still persisting in his ignorant reading of that film. I'm not sure how someone who claims to be a movie critic could look at a film like "Zulu" and claim it promotes an imperialistic or racist message.

Pvt Hook: (after being told to prepare for the Zulu attack) "What for? Did I ever see a Zulu walk down the City road? No! So what am I doing here?"

unbread

Nov 18, 2009
THANK YOU! I had always wonder what that movie on TV was. I had just happened upon it when I was 10 and only ever remembered the reanimated cow. I thought it was so cool and weird.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
MikeN said:
Stabby Joe said:
why are you ripping on Zulu? In no way was that film on a character, tonal or contextual level a "zombie film". It's a war epic/biopic about a real battle, hordes and all. If anything it takes the imperial mentality the British had down by a huge peg by its conclusion. Did you look beyond that old outdated poster you flashed up? One I've only seen here mind you.
Bob has used "Zulu" as a reference to racism before in his Warm Bodies review so it looks like he's still persisting in his ignorant reading of that film. I'm not sure how someone who claims to be a movie critic could look at a film like "Zulu" and claim it promotes an imperialistic or racist message.

Pvt Hook: (after being told to prepare for the Zulu attack) "What for? Did I ever see a Zulu walk down the City road? No! So what am I doing here?"
Also I've not seen a a zombie film where the undead plan their attack, probe defenses, steal weaponry then use them of their owners, engage in night ambushes, warned not be underestimated and eventually come to respect and salute their enemy...

...yeah, racist zombie standins.

Jofe

Feb 3, 2010
Falseprophet said:
Sorta obscure buddy cop movies snip
Mmmmm you seem to know a lot. While not a super natural buddy cop movie maybe you can tell me the name of this movie, I only saw the ending and never knew the name. It looks like its about a corrupt politician who cheated by making the dead vote for him. Suddenly the dead come back from the grave and the usual stuff happens. By the end the zombies have the politician who tanks to their votes has become the president. When it seems like they're about to eat him they suddenly start asking him what he's going to do for them since they voted for him and how he isn't one of them. So they turn him into a zombie and he becomes the first zombie president of the U.S.A. I watched this once and ended being "WTF was that" and never saw that movie again.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
You know that part with the cow meat could be made into a great video game horror creature since it's quite scary looking! It kind of look like a giant headcrab!
It instantly made me think of the reanimated hunks of beef from the zombie level on Timesplitters: Future Perfect

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Wow, Bob made it almost 45 seconds without using the word "racism" or "racist".

That has to be some sort of record.

On the plus side, this movie was awesome.

Mar 26, 2008
I loved this movie when I was in my mid-teens! No one I know can remember it. People are usually like "Red Heat? The Schwarzenegger movie?" Grrrr.
Thanks Bob, now I've got somewhere to point them.

Urameshi13

Jan 18, 2011
Is it just me, or did the scene where Treat Williams and undead(?) security guard try to out-Uzi each other to death remind anyone of playing Call of Duty Multiplayer? Two dudes just standing emptying clips into each other until one of them is dead.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
WHY ISNT THERE A REMAKE OF THIS YET?!?!?

Give it to the guys who did the Evil Dead remake and I'll watch it infinity times.