The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2013: From Hell it Came

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Schlocktober 2013: From Hell it Came

MovieBob gives everyone a reason to fear a haunted tree stump.

Watch Video

chetoos

Jul 13, 2009
I actually kind of want to see this updated, both in the sensibilities of the tribe, making it less horrendously racist, and in the effects and monster. Mo cap could do well to give it a good presence as a frightening monster, and you could use some of the stuff with the fact that it's a tree, like have it sink into the ground and come up in a different area.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow that costume is pretty stiff! *drum roll*

Also for a bunch of smart scientist, couldn't they used well I don't know fire to kill Tobunga?

impocalyptic

Oct 31, 2011
This looks like something that I've seen but don't remember watching. I honestly have no idea what to think of it.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Watch in horror as the monster strikes!

Gasp in terror as our heroes battle splinters!

Not just regular splinters, but like, those ones that are kind of small and really hard to see, let along get a hold of with the tweezers...Where was I?

Oh yes, Horray for white people.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
DVS BSTrD said:
Scarim Coral said:
Wow that costume is pretty stiff! *drum roll*
He's stiff because his bark is worse than his bite.

Also for a bunch of smart scientist, couldn't they used well I don't know fire to kill Tobunga?
Too primitive, They have to solve problems the AMERICAN way.
With Bullets!
Whyn not combine the two? They're smart scientists, surely they can come up with fire bullets!

That monster put in a rather wooden performance.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
A monster with a horrific method of murder: rolling his victims down shallow hillsides for a few meters!

THE HORROR.

LG Jargon

Feb 9, 2012
MovieBob said:
Schlocktober 2013: From Hell it Came

MovieBob gives everyone a reason to fear a haunted tree stump.

Watch Video
Allow me to counter with a recent post about Pokémon:

Dickdatduck said:
From the pokedex entry of the new pokemon Phantump: "According to old tales, these Pokémon are stumps possessed by the spirits of children who died while lost in the forest."
Makes me wonder what "wood" happen if Tabonga met a Phantump...*gasp* What have I done?! I've made fanfic bait! Run!

Also, that movie is horribly dated and offensive and the monster looks far too embarrassing to be laughable. Still, thanks for showing us how far we've come, Bob.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Cinemassacre's Monster Madness on From Hell It Came:

http://cinemassacre.com/2010/10/05/from-hell-it-came/

From James Rolfe's description, and from what I saw of the movie and the monster in question, I think this movie might be hilarious, and worth watching just to see how stupid everything is.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/Zulu_Baker_Caine.gif

-"I say, Blackett... That... That was a tad on the racist side, wasn't it, old boy?"

-"Can't believe me bloode eyes, Sir!"

-"I shall keep my Webley handy. In case it labouriously shambles this way next."

-"Careful, ye nay wan a splinter, Sir!

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
How did this movie not make it on to the MST3K lineup.
Maybe It's just too painful.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
While the 1950s were certainly a racist time, I actually kinda like the theme of westerners bringing science and modern medicine and having to fight ancient tribal religion and tradition along with semi-xenophobic distrust of outsiders. Especially since there are regions of the world where "traditional medicine" is as commonly used as actual medicine, to say nothing of homeopathy and faith healing back here in the west.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Roganzar said:
How did this movie not make it on to the MST3K lineup.
Maybe It's just too painful.
I did a quick google search to see if they did riff this one and while it was considered many times best brains turned it down. Someone should get in touch with ether cinematic titanic or rifftrax to do this one.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Lonewolfm16 said:
While the 1950s were certainly a racist time, I actually kinda like the theme of westerners bringing science and modern medicine and having to fight ancient tribal religion and tradition along with semi-xenophobic distrust of outsiders. Especially since there are regions of the world where "traditional medicine" is as commonly used as actual medicine, to say nothing of homeopathy and faith healing back here in the west.
While the movie definitely had racist overtones, I find it funny that things have more or less flipped. If the movie was done today, all the villains would be white (and probably members of the military and/or businessmen), they would be there to infect the natives with poison for shits and giggles, and the heroes would be the natives using tribal medicine and whatnot to kill off the creature. And if a white or American character was a hero, they'd have to immediately side with the natives and go all Dances With Wolves within five minutes of being introduced.

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
Is this seriously meant to be scary? I can't imagine how this ever scared anyone outside of a jump scare from sudden movement, or the closest this tree thing can do.