The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2014: Clive Barker's Nightbreed

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Schlocktober 2014: Clive Barker's Nightbreed

Schlocktober continues with Nightbreed, a fantasy horror film that bombed in its day but explored some interesting themes.

Watch Video

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
With what we've seen on Schlocktober, nothing surprises us anymore bob.

Also, they should really remake this, the basic premise sounds really good but as you said the script is all over the place.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
sounds interesting, too bad its not on netflicks, stupid netflicks, how do you not have this stuff.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Parts of it remind me a lot of Scott Sigler's Nocturnal, except the monsters there are horrific monsters.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Jman1236 said:

Also, they should really remake this, the basic premise sounds really good but as you said the script is all over the place.
Think on what you just said. Do you really want them to remake this? Considering its an old horror movie Platinum Dunes would probably get their hands on it. The guys who did the remakes of Freddy, Friday the 13th, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. So do you really want this to get remade?

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
I am honestly surprised it took Bob this long to review Nightbreed. It is a cult classic of the 'bad horror movie' set.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I've been waiting for a longer cut of this movie. While the new cut might not be Clive's original vision still - which is said to be about 2 1/2 hours, this new one clocks in at 2:20, adding 40 minutes to the original length. Close enough as far as I'm concerned. I'll be definitely buying this on blu ray. I've always had a fascination with late 80s-early 90s fantasy. They always used heavy lighting effects, like bloom was used about a gen and a half ago in videogames, and to similar effect. It made the worlds feel more fantastical and helped hide FX that haven't progressed to the point that we are now. It releases on the 28th, think I might look for it at the local dept stores so that I have it to watch Halloween night. Hmmm, full Clive Barker marathon, sounds fun.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Good old Clive Barker, he has had some really interesting ideas in his time. Granted a lot of the get mutilated in the process of production like this movie or his comic book series with Marvel back in the day, Razorline. I really enjoyed his comic material, especially Saint Sinner and Hokum & Hex, at least until Marvel's editorial staff went to down and changed the direction of both comics.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I legit want to see this movie, and not just because I want further proof that it really exists, which is why I normally want to see Shlocktober movies.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
This actually sounds like something I'd enjoy... though maybe I'll wait for the director's cut, hopefully that'll make more sense than the movie version...

Hunter Grant

Aug 27, 2013
I get that its simplified for the running time of a big picture, but man am I sick of the Magneto was right thing. My understanding is, Magneto sees no peaceful resolution for Mutants and Humans. Thus if I lived in the Marvel U and I like mutants despite being normal, support their rights etc, Magneto still kills me or imprisons me if victorious. I don't see how Charles alternative which supports having a full on trained militia to fight the subset of humanity who is ignorant and oppressive is not better. I mean that's the point of Magneto right is to say hey, you've become the thing you hate a genocidal bully. Which when you take it to the we need to be better Big picture done a while ago, a person could draw some parallels.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I think the reason that no one calls Avatar a rip off of this is because the Na'vi were idealized to stupid levels, where as the Nightbreed here and kinda ugly. I think the better question would be "why does no one accuse District 9 of ripping off this"?

Actually sounds like a cool premise.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well you wasn't lying last week, Bob. This is more like the weirdness I had come to expect, though I will probably wait for the DC.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Jman1236 said:
So, next week will be yet another one crammed with political/social commentary whose subtext hits with the force of a sledgehammer to the brainpan. I have to go through past Schlocktober episodes to find one that was JUST a horror movie, with no big "message" underneath.
OT: Well, at least I learned something today. Clive Barker is gay. Ironic that he made the "gay" stand-in characters the super powered killing machines.
[sarcasm] Boy, oh boy. My favorite horror movie cliche: HumansAreTheRealMonsters. Maybe it was novel when this movie was made.[/sarcasm] Bob led me to believe that they were going for the Ancient Aliens angle.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I remember catching the final act on late night tv many years ago which I acted wth but awesome!

Heh so the film is kind like Magneto perspective on mutant vs human?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
This movie is awesome. I remember when a video shop shut down and sold its contents and i found the video version of it and bought it - was like finding hidden treasure. I dont remember it ever being available to buy on video - only rental. I think DVD got a crappy cut version of it. So a full uncut version is a day one buy for me.

If you want more Nightbreed, read the Hellraiser v Nightbreed comic called JIHAD. It was them two groups fighting due to religious differences..chaos vs order.