The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2014: Godmonster of the Indian Flats

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I don't... WHAT?! This looks more like the kind of thing Joel/Mike and the 'bots would rag on. Maybe if they got rid of the mutant sheep angle and kept it more political it would be less weird... but only just.

Steve the Pocket said:
Comstock, you say? Hmm...

...Nah, probably a coincidence.
So I'm not the only on thinking that? Good to know.

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
In the past you would talk about the movie and sometimes show a short clip unmuted. Today, you say one very short sentence, followed by an extended clip from the movie, followed by another short sentence.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
ace_of_something said:
Speaking as someone who spent the first 17 years of my life working on a ranch (and helping every summer thereafter) A sheep is the least intimidating creature on the range. They're docile and dumb.
You want a scary farm animal. Get you a pig. Yeah, they don't look as demonic as a goat or bull. But pigs man, they can be belligerent as hell that and they're one of the few livestock animals that isn't an herbivore. I've known people who've lost fingers or had bones broken due to pigs being mad. That and the fact they can chew and digest bone is kind of scary.
A Sheep.. well if you're allergic to wool they're pretty terrifying.
The pigs in Wind Waker were the first thing I thought of when I read this.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
I swear I have heard that monster's roar before. Any one know where it was used?
Some old Disney cartoon, for some bear or lion I think.

And a Bugs Bunny cartoon, where he fakes a bear roar to scare the shit out of Elmer Fudge.

So yeah, a pretty old stock sound effect, and a classic one at that :p

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Man, Bob the fuckin' hipster. Don't play modern games, everything on Nintendo was better? We get it, you don't like Kevin Smith. I don't think Tusk looked remotely good, but Kevin Smith is just a guy.

SupahGamuh said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
I swear I have heard that monster's roar before. Any one know where it was used?
Some old Disney cartoon, for some bear or lion I think.

And a Bugs Bunny cartoon, where he fakes a bear roar to scare the shit out of Elmer Fudge.

So yeah, a pretty old stock sound effect, and a classic one at that :p
I think you mean Elmer Fudd. Just saying, haha.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Baresark said:
Uh... whoops, got that wrong. How the heck I didn't see that is beyond me.

I'll leave it as is, just for teh lulz :p

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Was it just me, or did the Mayor at the end look like the 'Man behind the curtain' in the original Wizard of Oz?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
Baresark said:
Uh... whoops, got that wrong. How the heck I didn't see that is beyond me.

I'll leave it as is, just for teh lulz :p
I read it and was like... it sounds off. I had to think about it for a second myself. I mean... when was the last time you even saw Loony Toons?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Baresark said:
I mean... when was the last time you even saw Loony Toons?
Months ago, I can't exactly say how long, but it's definitely been a while. Also, many Looney Toons' names are changed in the spanish dub here in Mexico, so I barely remembered his original name and I got lazy to do a quick Google search... yeah, mistakes WERE bound to happen :p

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
ZZoMBiE13 said:
vagabondwillsmile said:
"Brevity is the soul of wit."
Says the guy who wrote the longest post in the thread. :p
Haha! Touché -- I wondered if I'd get called out for that! :p I won't be talking about it into next month though. But you're right so I'll cut that, because it isn't necessary.

I am glad Bob did this segment. I'm interested in this movie thanks to it.

Cheers!

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
CrankyStorming said:
In the past you would talk about the movie and sometimes show a short clip unmuted. Today, you say one very short sentence, followed by an extended clip from the movie, followed by another short sentence.
He actually went ahead a few videos ago and said he loves doing this because he can bang them all out in advance and just sit on his ass all this month. I guess it gives him time to focus on his twitter.

vagabondwillsmile said:
Good point, well made. But I believe that there is no schtick here. I have slowly come to the conclusion that Bob is a very bitter and cynical individual who has let negative life experiences intrude on a subject that should be joyous. He never talks about his career in terms of loving it. It's always anathema. He shoulders this burden because he is a professional film critic. Jim and even Yahtzee love what they do and their practiced cynicism seems to come from a place of genuine passion. They hate because they care.

Bob seems to hate because he hates himself. In terms of relationships, I imagine Bob to be the guy who would call his ex a '****' or a 'slut' even though when they were dating he would have said she was his 'soulmate' and 'love of his life' Someone who thinks hate is the opposite of love and lets bitterness cloud and dominate his life. It's easier to hate than to understand.

This is why his opinions flip flop so much. He needs them to validate his position & reputation. They have to be divisive or he is not relevant. Jim's position & reputation validates his opinions. You can disagree with him but you know this is what he truly believes and he will defend it to the hilt.