The Big Picture: Secret Crisis

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Secret Crisis

Will Secret Wars break the Marvel Universe's functional charm?

Watch Video

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Wow, he really does sound different with a cold.

Interesting take on the whole "Sliding Timeline" theory of comics.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I never had an issue with the way Marvel handled time and past events. Too bad they seem to be going full-DC on this one. Kinda glad I stopped reading their stuff a few years back.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Marvel did address how time works way back in the Sensational She-Hulk series.
She-Hulk meet the older version of the Blonde Phantom who explained that time slows to a crawl when your in the comics. However, when your no longer getting published you age like a normal person. And I mean normal in as much as normal can mean in comics.
As for when we find out the effects of this new Secret Wars, I think the answer is simple. A few years from now.

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
This won't be the first time they folded universes together though. Back in the late 80s, maybe early 90s they had a spin off called the New Universe. It was all about a world that didn't have super powered people suddenly getting them. It included characters like Starbrand and Spitfire, or groups like the DP7. Eventually those books folded and some of the elements made their way into mainstream Marvel books, but not any of the characters directly. Like the Star Brand made it's way to Quasar for a while, but not any of the people who wore the Brand in the New Universe. This as far as I know is Marvel's first attempt to merge and take parts of their various universes and spin off stories and mashing them together, the way DC has done numerous times combining and splitting alternate versions of their infinite Earths. Sadly that's one thing that a lot of people don't like about DC comics... so I'm not sure why Marvel thinks doing it themselves will get them any less flak.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
This is something that bothers me a little about recent Doctor Who. A big part of a recent story arc revolved around rebooting the Universe (literally), so certain alien invasions never happened, and the Doctor is less known throughout the universe, including to his age old foes, the Daleks.

It was all really faffy and unnecessary. In a show where time changing happens all the time, you should just play it by ear on an episode by episode basis. If you want something that happened previously to be relevant and affect the story, let it. If not, don't.

Episodic story telling is so downtrodden these days. I like gratuitous continuity as much as the next guy, but it's become so prevalent, I'm actually starting to miss the old loosey goosey style of story telling. "All that stuff happened before... kind of" works great.

It worked out great for the HULK. We can substitute in the TV show, only he wasn't called David Banner, and the new movie, only he was played by Mark Ruffalo.

It's something they should really try with the Spider-man movies when they finally get round to rebooting it. Origin story, Goblin, Doc Ock, Venom, Lizard and Electro. All sort of happened, but a little different. So Ock can still be alive, and maybe instead of going to an insane asylum, Peter kept the Lizards secret, and now they're besties.

Maybe even take it a step further, and assume that other villains and allies have already had stories. Opening scene could be Spider-man foiling Shocker as he robs a bank just to say, "this is the tupe of world where this happens and there's super dudes all over the place". Or Black Cat shows up, they interact, and let the chemistry tell the history.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah a reboot with Marvel does make sense as one of the things that did bother me with Marvel was the age/ timeline like Tony would be over 40 or 50's when his origin took place in the Vietnam war.

Granted how much of an reboot will it be, right from the beginning or at a present point but they will have rebooted origin comics (most likely to be the latter as do we need Peter in High School again?). Still there will be some present day stuff I will missed (Scott X Emma Frost than Scott X Jean). Still I wonder what will be Miles Moral place in the reboot? The second Spider-man or Spider-man sidekicked/ partner?

That's another thing, how did Marvel did NOT make a crossover event with 616 (main universe) and the Ultimate universe before they killed off mostly everyone in the Ultimate universe? No I don't mean the Spider-Men crossover, I mean every heroes and villains crossover like the 616 Avengers meet their Ultimate counterpart and etc.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
The movies being the axis to the comic I think is a Dumb Idea because eventually the movies will reboot and try something new and all that stupid "synergy" will be wasted for short time gain.

"I Know Nothing!" was my captcha! :p

PetiteMoogle

Dec 3, 2014
You know, every time I try to get back into comics I find myself smacked in the face with something that I tried to ignore, but couldn't with all the other cringe-worthy. Radically changed the art style into something lazy, where everyone looks the same except for what colors have been painted on. Make a villain out of Professor X. Turn Wolverine into a drooling, barely intelligent animal... The X-Babies. Oh god, the X-Babies. I was interested in trying to wade back in, to just let all the things that made my inner childhood weep at (AW Gambit?) but the idea that they'll be focusing on trotting out ideas to test how they might be received while shoving the properties they don't have movie ties to anymore to the back burner bums me out considerably. The movies/tv show idea may not hold, not with the super hero saturation we're getting from both Marvel and DC, the mainstream might become sick of them.

jaibryan

Jun 3, 2014
this is not a reboot. the continuity is still there, the characters are still there but they are taking that universe and fitting it together with other universes on a new planet. nothing is getting rewritten. i'm surprise how many comicbook people aren't getting this.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
inu-kun said:
BTW, what about Magneto? Unlike Cap he lived ever since the end of WW2, so eventually... well... he'll get pretty old, no?
They just change his age. You know from being an adult to being a baby, to be an old man to being a younger man and back to being a middle age man that is getting old. No I'm not making any of that up.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
Hopefully they grab up some of the secondary universe characters like Spider-girl and American Dream since they're already going thru the effort of doing this.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So if they downplay the X-Men and the Fantastic Four as suggested in the video, I wonder whether they'll do the same with Spider-Man. Unless Spider-Man was already unimportant, I wouldn't know.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
JSRevenge said:
Was it an error that Greg Tito is listed as Editor in Chief during your end credits?
I think it depends on when this was created, for it was created sometime last week it makes sense that he is still listed since it was already wrapped. I think the changes will start later this week or early next week when people have had time to update there slides for the recent changes.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Evonisia said:
So if they downplay the X-Men and the Fantastic Four as suggested in the video, I wonder whether they'll do the same with Spider-Man. Unless Spider-Man was already unimportant, I wouldn't know.
I think the contract is different with Spider-Man and X-Men/Fantastic 4. If I remember the contract correctly Sony only gets royalties from the movies themselves and Marvel still gets all the toy revenue, but with Fox Marvel gets nothing.