The Big Picture: Secret Crisis

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
LordTerminal said:
Goddamnit Marvel, this likely means no more Kamala Kahn, the new Ms. Marvel. And she was the only one that gave me a reason to keep giving you money.

I hate this company nowadays. I really, REALLY do.

EDIT: This likely also means no more Wasp, Avenger's Academy cast, Squirrel Girl, "vampire Jubilee" (Yes you heard me) and every other B-D List superhero that I actually like and wish got better treatment because of this. What happened to the movie line being it's own thing?
Money. With the box office revenues the movies are making they want to make sure they don't have a major failure so the comics are probably going to be testing grounds for movie plots to see how the audience reacts to them.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Dear Marvel,
Just lead your current cast to satisfactory endings and start making new stories with new people doing new things.
Sincerely,
The guy who got you bankrupted.

Seriously, it's baffling how much crossover there is between people who complain about the stagnation and serialisation of popular video game franchises and people who care about comic books.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
LordTerminal said:
Goddamnit Marvel, this likely means no more Kamala Kahn, the new Ms. Marvel. And she was the only one that gave me a reason to keep giving you money.

I hate this company nowadays. I really, REALLY do.

EDIT: This likely also means no more Wasp, Avenger's Academy cast, Squirrel Girl, "vampire Jubilee" (Yes you heard me) and every other B-D List superhero that I actually like and wish got better treatment because of this. What happened to the movie line being it's own thing?
I doubt it. Considering the fact that Mrs. Marvel is one of their best selling titles (it topped the charts in October) and many of its issues have had several reprints. If anything because she falls into the Inhuman side of things we are going to see an increase of her across different books.

Plus Marvel is really pushing diversity right now so it would look really bad on them if they pulled one of their biggest characters for that.

Edit: It was the graphic novel (collection of issues) of Mrs. Marvel that topped the charts not the monthly series itself.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
PetiteMoogle said:
You know, every time I try to get back into comics I find myself smacked in the face with something that I tried to ignore, but couldn't with all the other cringe-worthy. Radically changed the art style into something lazy, where everyone looks the same except for what colors have been painted on. Make a villain out of Professor X. Turn Wolverine into a drooling, barely intelligent animal... The X-Babies. Oh god, the X-Babies. I was interested in trying to wade back in, to just let all the things that made my inner childhood weep at (AW Gambit?) but the idea that they'll be focusing on trotting out ideas to test how they might be received while shoving the properties they don't have movie ties to anymore to the back burner bums me out considerably. The movies/tv show idea may not hold, not with the super hero saturation we're getting from both Marvel and DC, the mainstream might become sick of them.
Just read the indie stuff, it's easier :p

Kahani

May 25, 2011
V4Viewtiful said:
The movies being the axis to the comic I think is a Dumb Idea because eventually the movies will reboot and try something new and all that stupid "synergy" will be wasted for short time gain.
The thing about that short term gain is that it's really, really big. Check the numbers here [http://www.newsarama.com/2295-marvel-sets-revenue-record-for-2008.html], for example. In 2008, the first year of the MCU, Marvel made $125 million from publishing, and $250 million from films. That being from two films including their first ever (Iron Man), and their worst reviewed and worst performing one (Incredible Hulk). So their first experimental foray into films, including their closest thing to failure to date, produced almost double the money that their comics did. Jump forward a few years and they've had more than one film make over a billion just at the box office. Throw in DVDs, merchandising, and so on, and they're easily making the same from one film that they could in a decade of comics.

And the thing is, comics aren't some constant thing that can always be relied on. They've never died out entirely, but they've had some serious downs. Marvel even went backrupt in the '90s. Messing with the comics to support the films might not last long term, and it might compromise the comics in the short term, but since a single successful film can easily cover problems with the comics for several years at least, I really don't think it can be called "wasted". Certainly not from Marvel's point of view at least. And of course, even if it doesn't work out in the long term, they can just do another reboot 10-15 years down the line. Which, let's be honest, is probably going to happen anyway.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
about time, the Marvel reboot has been long overdue. Sure I'll miss the X-Men and Spider-Man not being as prominent as they should be in the grand scale of that universe but I'm still glad they'll be able to start a new hopefully X-23 and Wolverine can get a better shot a better characterization and actually be made into a father daughter relationship instead of the weird same person with different genders and ages thing they got now

as for the Ultimate universe, sure Miles Morales is amazing and I'm glad he's sticking around after Secret Wars, although I'm not sure how the character will work when he simply becomes a Spider-Man rather than the Spider-Man but maybe it'll be good... on the other hand I'm we're loosing Kitty Pryde and Mr.Fantastic Ultimate versions

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Back when they first started the Ultimate Universe, I knew from day one it was going to cause issues down the road. There was never a particularly good reason to do it. When I started collecting, I just jumped in, and after reading for enough years, they would start to reference stories I had read, and that was neat. Of course, throw in the MCU, the Ultimate and the Continuity based universes and you basically have Crisis, which is what always has and always will break the DC Universe of books. Which is why I rolled my eyes the second they mentioned bringing back the Crisis idea in the "New 52". It breaks the whole reboot.

Also, it's annoying how they are trying to downplay the importance of books that were Marvel staples for what is now more than 50 years. The movies will not ever live up to what is done in the books and you risk alienating fans of what is some their hottest selling books.

Of course, this is clearly how they are going to bring Wolverine back. Not much of a death since we all knew he was coming back.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I love how many people glaze over what's being said and slide it into what they're used to. They are ending the Marvel Universe in that they're combining it with a bunch of other universes. The continuity still exists, the characters are still the same as they've been, but some will die, probably more from Alternate worlds than the main, and the worlds are merging.

It's essentially the stuff they liked from alternate worlds is going to come into the main universe, and some things from the main universe are just going to disappear.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Kahani said:
V4Viewtiful said:
The movies being the axis to the comic I think is a Dumb Idea because eventually the movies will reboot and try something new and all that stupid "synergy" will be wasted for short time gain.
The thing about that short term gain is that it's really, really big. Check the numbers here [http://www.newsarama.com/2295-marvel-sets-revenue-record-for-2008.html], for example. In 2008, the first year of the MCU, Marvel made $125 million from publishing, and $250 million from films. That being from two films including their first ever (Iron Man), and their worst reviewed and worst performing one (Incredible Hulk). So their first experimental foray into films, including their closest thing to failure to date, produced almost double the money that their comics did. Jump forward a few years and they've had more than one film make over a billion just at the box office. Throw in DVDs, merchandising, and so on, and they're easily making the same from one film that they could in a decade of comics.
The only thing about what you are saying is that movies and television, since they have been around have always dwarfed what comics make. Comics are niche, movies and television are not. It's not question of what is more profitable, it's a question of whether something is profitable.

Clearly they will use any overlap to bolster their comics business model though. The more like the movies this becomes, the more likely they are to endorse people into buying their way over priced books.

schwegburt

Jan 5, 2012
inu-kun said:
BTW, what about Magneto? Unlike Cap he lived ever since the end of WW2, so eventually... well... he'll get pretty old, no?
Easy 1 sentence ret-con: His Magnetic powers also affects his aging process like Wolverine's healing factor does.

Heartsib

Jul 2, 2014
PetiteMoogle said:
You know, every time I try to get back into comics I find myself smacked in the face with something that I tried to ignore, but couldn't with all the other cringe-worthy. Radically changed the art style into something lazy, where everyone looks the same except for what colors have been painted on. Make a villain out of Professor X. Turn Wolverine into a drooling, barely intelligent animal... The X-Babies. Oh god, the X-Babies. I was interested in trying to wade back in, to just let all the things that made my inner childhood weep at (AW Gambit?) but the idea that they'll be focusing on trotting out ideas to test how they might be received while shoving the properties they don't have movie ties to anymore to the back burner bums me out considerably. The movies/tv show idea may not hold, not with the super hero saturation we're getting from both Marvel and DC, the mainstream might become sick of them.
I'd suggest giving Dark Horse, Image, Boom!, and IDW a try. They cover pretty much all the genres that just don't seem to work for Marvel and DC.

As for SW...*shrug* I'm buying two books from Marvel solely on the basis of character loyalty. If those vanish in the aftermath of this event, I can spend my money elsewhere. With the exception of Ms Marvel, I haven't seen anything 'wow' worthy from Marvel or DC for a while.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
inu-kun said:
BTW, what about Magneto? Unlike Cap he lived ever since the end of WW2, so eventually... well... he'll get pretty old, no?
In the animated series he had stolen the capsule used to inject the serum into Captain America, altering it to youth him up when ever he needed it. Don't know about Charles though... space magic?

TheSaylesMan

Feb 11, 2009
The only contributions the Ultimate Universe should bring over are the mentioned Miles, Jessica Drew (Ultimate Spider-Woman and gender-swapped clone of Peter Parker) and Ultimate Reed Richards (aka Mr. Fantastic). He turned evil because he's a fundamentally different character than the classic Reed Richards. He also turns out to be a way more effective villain that any iteration of Dr. Doom. He destroyed Washington DC and in the process killed the President, the Cabinet, Congress and probably the Supreme Court though I don't think they ever mentioned that. There were so few people left that the Secretary of Energy was the guy next in line to inherit the Presidency. He gets defeated in an incredibly anti-climactic way because they replaced the author of that book with a new guy for the resolution but all in all he was pretty fun to read.

RenegadeDuck

Oct 9, 2014
As a very casual guy when it comes to comics (as in I only peek in every now and then to see who is dead again, who's been resurrected again, and who they've replaced with a non-white or non-male character) I don't really like the sound of this idea. I always kinda liked having two different universes, since it allowed them to do basically whatever they wanted in one while keeping the other relatively normal (you know... normal for comics). Miles Morales in ultimate? Cool. As long as we still get good ol' Pete in one of these universes. But Morales possibly taking over the mantle of Spider-Man in the mainstream continuity despite being from an alternate universe? Severely less cool. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
inu-kun said:
I know Magneto has been de-aged at least once in the books and was turned into a baby. Then later he was re-aged back to an adult. I'm pretty sure after Fatal Attractions and the end of the Age of Apocalypse story his age was fiddled with.

schwegburt said:
Easy 1 sentence ret-con: His Magnetic powers also affects his aging process like Wolverine's healing factor does.
I'm pretty sure that they did this, actually. I could be wrong though....

Also, I'm pretty sure that The Punisher's history still has him as a Vietnam veteran and, at least in the Max publications, he has aged. But he's also died, worked for angels, came back to life, got turned into a Frankenstein monster and got better. So yea ....