The Big Picture: Secrets of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
I do hope its Luke Cage, because if it is that means Iron Fist will turn up at some point and awesomeness will ensue.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
IndianaJonny said:
Whoa, Falcon [//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_(comics)] didn't make the list at all? Granted, "super strength" isn't one of his given abilities (but then neither is it one of Black Panther's) but if a Captain America-connection is all that is needed to make the list, I'm surprised the Falcon's name hasn't been passed around - especially given he's (arguably) mainstream comics' first African-American superhero.

But the Falcon's going to be in Captain America 2 played by a different dude.

Farthing

Jan 28, 2012
My gut reaction was Cloak of the Cloak and Dagger duo given the hood and having a girl in his arms, but everything else shown makes it pretty unlikely.

Dec 16, 2009
MovieBob said:
Secrets of S.H.I.E.L.D.

MovieBob speculates on the upcoming television show spun-off from The Avengers.

Watch Video
I was kinda hoping we'd get the Rock for Luke Cage. so 2 - 10 sound great to me
EDIT: never know, could be a traditionally white hero

Apr 17, 2009
Farthing said:
My gut reaction was Cloak of the Cloak and Dagger duo given the hood and having a girl in his arms, but everything else shown makes it pretty unlikely.
Not likely. Cloak has the whole teleportation thing going. He's not known for shattering concrete when he falls on it

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Between this and your Mandarin episodes you have an excellent lead in to a discussion on race and comic books. I thought one of these guys was the man who fought Thor to a near standstill before Thor was caught by Shield. I didn't know which one, but seeing this list I'd have to guess a super soldier descendant.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
C'mon, we all know the answer is that it's Miles Morales, the black Spider-man, who works day in and out with S.H.I.E.L.D. and Nick Fury:

I'm only partially joking...

Oh! I forgot the oh-so-racial incorrect BLACK GOLIATH!

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Mr Ink 5000 said:
MovieBob said:
Secrets of S.H.I.E.L.D.

MovieBob speculates on the upcoming television show spun-off from The Avengers.

Watch Video
I was kinda hoping we'd get the Rock for Luke Cage. so 2 - 10 sound great to me
EDIT: never know, could be a traditionally white hero
Great point. Who do you think the conversion would be?

Or, he could be a villain.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
The fact that the actor is black doesn't have to mean anything. I mean, it would certainly not be the first time that a character from the marvel universe, that's depicted as white in the comics, is played by a black actor.
vid87 said:
....goddammit white people.
You mean, goddammit racially intolerant decision makers in government, from an era where black people were considered second class citizens.

Human rights violations are human rights violations, no matter who is doing it to whom, for whatever reason. But the fact that some white people mistreated some black people should not be a reason for all black people to resent all white people. You'll only end up keeping the hatred alive for longer.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
I really want to see Luke Cage, and I'd absolutely kill to see him and Iron Fist in a Heroes For Hire show, so I wouldn't be upset if it was him. At this point though I feel like Marvel would probably want to use Cage in a movie though, in order to capitalize on the publicity that would come from having the first African-American movie superhero, and to diversify the Avengers, so in my eyes the mystery man being Cage seems a bit unlikely.

Rage seems like the top candidate in my eyes, if only because he's seen in the logo and because he's obscure enough that the show runners would be able to do whatever they want without annoying an established fanbase.

The ones I'd be most interested to see though would have to be the Bradley family. The subject matter seems a bit too heavy for a lighthearted action blockbuster, but I think Whedon could handle it well in a TV series, and it seems like exactly the kind of "Secret Histories of the Superheroes" stuff that I expect SHIELD to cover. Of the three dudes I think Josiah X seems like the most likely candidate, he's too young to be Isaiah and too old to be Elijah, but depending on how they worked the timeline he could easily be Josiah. As an added bonus, I think such a firmly anti-establishment hero would go a long way to offsetting the weird "Big Brother is your friend" subtext that Agents of SHIELD looks to have.

I'm surprised this character speculation was all Bob talked about in this video though, there's a lot about Agents of SHIELD that's worth discussing.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
AkatsukiLeader13 said:
If it's not a new character it will probably be Luke Cage though I would love to see one of the Bradleys myself.
I'm banking on our Mystery Man (see what I did there?) is Luke Cage, so we can get that out of the way. A Power Man & Iron Fist spinoff would be just kick-ass! And since Marvel got the rights to Daredevil back, they can give him a spinoff too, since there's an apparently large audience for legal dramas, we can sucker them in with a lawyer who's also an ass-kicking superhero!
Of course, maybe the guy could be one of the Bradleys. He's talking to his friend in the diner, who warns him about S.H.I.E.L.D., and he asks about using a shield, like what all 3 Bradleys did in their superhero careers.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Luke Cage/Power Man seems most likely. The Black failed Captain America experiment would also be a good option.

Either way, it's a series I will watch.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
A tough call. On the one hand, it's so obviously Luke Cage, but on the other hand it's SO obviously Luke Cage that it makes you wonder why there's all this mystery behind his reveal; which kinda puts it under one of your main gripes of the recent Star Trek flim (and Abrams' recent stuff in general).

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Nomanslander said:
That or they could have pulled another Nick Fury and turned a white super hero black. :p.
And the Rage from the Fanboys would be intense. Remember the outcry over Black Heimdall?

Pat Hulse said:
In an interview for IGN Jeffery Bell confirmed [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/15/executive-producer-jeffrey-bell-talk-agents-of-shield-and-reveals-luke-cage-is-not-the-mystery-character] that it was not Luke Cage, may have possibly slipped that the first letter in the guy's name is "M", and also said some things about colorblind casting.

Honestly, we were looking for this part, and we just said, look, all our parts are open to all diversity. So the fact that we have a black dude who is awesome and it's J, was just because he was the best actor. It wasn?t like, ?You know who?!?
While Marvel reps have flat-out lied in the past, particularly when a mystery is guessed right out of the gate, my money is actually on Moon Knight. No, he's never been portrayed as a black man, but neither was Nick Fury before the Ultimates and neither was Heimdall before "Thor". Also, it would make the hoodie a clever costume choice. Still, it would mean they changed a lot of his backstory and gave him powers right from the beginning, so it might be a bit of a stretch, but I like banking on the long-shot.
I dunno. Moon Knight was pretty deep into Egyptian myth and mysticism, from what I remember of the series from back in the day. Me, I am hoping to see Black Knight at some time in the future (not actually Black Skin, but a descendant of an Arthurian Knight with a flying Horse. Dane Whitman was his name, though there were other variants of the character, one being a villain, Nathan Garrett.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Darth_Payn said:
And since Marvel got the rights to Daredevil back, they can give him a spinoff too, since there's an apparently large audience for legal dramas, we can sucker them in with a lawyer who's also an ass-kicking superhero!
And Jennifer Walters?

Not going to happen soon, I know, but I like her angle way better than Bruce's.

Daredevil will probably be its own thing, but it would be a pleasant surprise to see him turn up.

I've been betting on Cage and Iron Fist showing up in this show since it was revealed.

The Shield series seems like a good fit for all these street level heroes as they call em.

Chris Mosher

Nov 28, 2011
Personally, now that that Daredevil and Punisher are back in marvel's hands I would love to see an avengers style movie with their street level characters. Get a Heroes for Hire movie and a DareDevil flick going, then go into movie with Punisher coming in since he has been introduced more times then I can count. Heroes for hire could have Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Colleen Wing and Misty Knight to get you the who diversity thing, Daredevil could set up Kingpin and Hell I would kill to see either Tom Jane or Ray Stevenson back as Castle.

ghostrider409895

Mar 7, 2010
When I saw the trailer for the show I initially thought of Luke Cage. He typically does wear street clothes, and his skin and body is really tough, which I thought fit a guy who jumped out of a building with another person and survived.
Plus, that is the type of guy to not really be secretive in who he is because he really is just a guy initially trying to earn his way through being a hero. I think if it was some of the other guys, there would at least be some make-shift costume going on. Over all though, some of those other possibilities do sound interesting. I would not have picked up on the brief flash of a character in the opening comic roll sequence, although I am never sure if the comics shown do always correlate to the character. I never looked at any of the opening rolls that closely.