The Big Picture: Shell Shock

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
Bob, i don't think the new TMNT movie will suck because of the new origin story, i like its going to suck because MICHEL BAY is involved.
I was shocked that "Turtlegate" was such a thing, really. I assumed it was going to be bad from two words: Michael Bay. I see no reason a different origin story will in any way make it worse.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Evil Alpaca said:
Quick question:

How did Robotnik get the name Eggman? I have only played a couple of Sonic games, the last one being Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast. I kinda get Robotnik, guys makes robots, its self-explanatory. Eggman? That I never understood. There never seemed anything egg related about him except for his size, and he is more spherical than egg shaped.

I'm surprised no mention of Harly Quin. If there was an example of creative liberties working, it was her. The creators of the animated Batman series created a whole new character which was pretty popular and got added to canon.
I thought Eggman was the original Japanese name, hence Bob's point. At the same time, Eggman sounds stupid and Robotnik sounds like an evil genius from a cheesey series about an anthro hedgehog.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
The only turtles medium I remember was the awesome 90's films. Especially the one who introduced Casey.

I say awsome by remembering the films through my 10 year olds eyes. Haven seen the films in about 10 years, I think I'd do well to keep it that way.
I still enjoy the first two.

Mostly the first, because the second one got kinda silly. "Hey, we like the whole "Ninja Turtle" thing, but we don't like the fact that they use weapons. Could you give them some silly alternatives?"

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Lunar Templar said:
Bob, i don't think the new TMNT movie will suck because of the new origin story, i like its going to suck because MICHEL BAY is involved.
I was shocked that "Turtlegate" was such a thing, really. I assumed it was going to be bad from two words: Michael Bay. I see no reason a different origin story will in any way make it worse.
yeah, they could probably stick to the cartoon and it'd still suck ...... -.- and cause i have no faith in humanity to have learned the LAST 3 times ..... i also have faith it will make frankly stupid amounts of money despite being crap

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
The ooze can be alien orientated, but they still have to be four baby turtles transformed from ooze.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
olfelix said:
I hate that this great show has been forced to be a huge "Grow up fanboys". All the moaning about TMNT and Mass Effect this past week has only proved how immature fans can be.
Or how hypocritical Bob can be, telling fanboys to grow up when he basically whined about the new Green Lantern movie, for something like four episodes.

Evil Alpaca said:
Quick question:

How did Robotnik get the name Eggman? I have only played a couple of Sonic games, the last one being Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast. I kinda get Robotnik, guys makes robots, its self-explanatory. Eggman? That I never understood. There never seemed anything egg related about him except for his size, and he is more spherical than egg shaped.
Eggman, at least in lore, is the son of Doctor Harold Robotnik. Eggman is basically when they wanted to start to redesign most of the characters and most likely originated out of a pun that Sonic made about Robotniks shape. Then I guess that picked up with Sega and now you have Dr. Eggman.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Meh, this wasn't to bad. But like others have said, has this show dropped everything for complaining about fans?

JemJar

Feb 17, 2009
I grew up with the Teenage Mutant *Hero* Turtles (because British censors are/were weird) but the Michael Bay reboot doesn't offend me nearly as much as Transformers 2 and 3 did.

The key trick here? TF 2 and 3 commit the cardinal sequel sin, they basically shit all over whatever plot, atmosphere and "lore" is laid down as canon by the first film.

For other examples of this, see The Matrix sequels and X-Men 3 and Evolutions. Fuck, The Golden Compass managed to do this in one single movie, switching from talking about the bears and the fairies as the stuff of complete myth and legend to suddenly having hundreds of both on screen.

If you want to make a film and reboot the world and characters with new origin stories, that's pretty much fine - I never felt that the origin of the turtles was that special, it doesn't seem critical to the characters. Just be self-consistent.

That said, I felt disappointed with The Dark Knight because the Joker didn't really have an origin story - in particular because I always really appreciated the idea that the Joker was in some ways *created by* Batman with the whole Jack Napier, Axis chemicals thing. I've no idea if that's "the official" origin story, but it was one which gave an extra dimension to the character which in some ways Nolan's Joker lacked.

vxicepickxv said:
I'm getting really frustrated when people slap gate on the end of things like it was a precedent after the Watergate Hotel break in. NO. It's called Watergate because it was the name of the location of the crime. People and Gate to everything else as if it's a part of some major thing, or even minor thing in this case, instead of realizing that it was called Watergate because that was the name of the hotel the break in of the DNC party HQ was at in the 1970's.
Rantgate? Ahah, ahah, ahah. I'm sorry, I'll stop. Joking aside I totally agree that it's become drastically over-used over the past few years.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Not G. Ivingname said:
Another note on Mr. Freeze...

...That was until Batman: the animated series reinvented him with a new back story and a VERY cold personality...
I see what you did there. Joking aside, Mr. Freeze was my favorite villain of TAS because of his personality. Hell, he was the villain that basically defined that show for me, and likely a lot more of my childhood along with it.

OT: Stories go through big revisions or reboots all the time, even huge franchises. Comic-based continuities are the big ones, but there are also things like Star Trek, G.I. Joe and Spyro the Dragon, all of which have had successful reboots. Just because Michael Bay got his hands on TMNT doesn't mean that it's ruined forever. We could have another reboot after Bay is done with the franchise, and none of this will have mattered.

Aprilgold said:
Evil Alpaca said:
Quick question:

Eggman, at least in lore, is the son of Doctor Harold Robotnik. Eggman is basically when they wanted to start to redesign most of the characters and most likely originated out of a pun that Sonic made about Robotniks shape. Then I guess that picked up with Sega and now you have Dr. Eggman.
Sorry to say, but that's actually false. Robotnik was originally called Eggman over in Japan, and after a while I guess that Sega wanted to bring the Japanese and English versions of the story closer together or something, and decided to use the Japanese name for that. There's no mention of Robotnik having a son named Eggman, nor is his name Harold Robotnik as you claim; it's Ivo Robotnik.

Dear lord, I'm too much of a Sonic fanboy.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
bahumat42 said:
aegix drakan said:
Dude. What's wrong with the name Eggman?

I'm a pretty big fan of the sonic series, and I have no problem with the name Eggman. I mean, I did at first, but now? Now I just don't care about that. It's not that big a deal IMO.
does he make eggs? no he makes robots. Its just a matter of one name fitting much better.
Am I the only one remembering that Robotnik wasn't very much said anywhere in the games except for manual or backstory? My guess for Eggman being that it was when Sonic was trying to be edgy with words and was making fun of Robotniks shape. Eventually, I suppose that caught on with Kids and as such caught on with Sega. Later its explained that Robotnik was Eggman's father so they could fit in where Shadow comes from in Sonic Adventure 2.

Note: This is the only topic I get this nerdy about.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I already knew about the proper original version of the Ninja Turtles (I heard that it's very violent). Heck I was told that cross over tv special they were tame.

I believe this best sum up why we are against the alien adaption to the franchise (skip to 3.30)

As Yami said "Why can't we take a establish concept that people already love translate to the big screen without making all of these unnecessary changes?"

Are kids too lazy to do a quick Wiki on the franchise if they are new to it?

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Evil Alpaca said:
Quick question:

I'm surprised no mention of Harly Quin. If there was an example of creative liberties working, it was her. The creators of the animated Batman series created a whole new character which was pretty popular and got added to canon.
I created this just for this thread;

he has always been Eggman in japan from the very beginning. its only in the rest of the world where people knew him as Robotnik, most likely an sega of america decision. though now Eggman is his nickname while robotnik is his real name (unless you're in japan where it is still unknown).

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Mm... personally I was tangentially aware of the turtles for some time before actually caring about any of the media, it was the 2003 cartoon that got me invested, it was just something polished I could take seriously.

Having said all that, I'm still a pretty casual fan, I should probably check out the original comics sometime though...

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
Evil Alpaca said:
Quick question:

Eggman was his original Japanese name primarily because he looked like an egg. REally, he was designed Egg shaped so they went with Eggman, "Eggman"probably sounded better in Japan anyway. To sell better in the US it was changed to something cooler sounding because it was the 90s. Due to the two market's being separate it was easy to get away with, but as soon as the markets were no longer isolated (yay internet) the games all stuck to the friendlier and Canon japanese name of Eggman, much to the anger of fans of the American games and cartoons who would of probably preferred Robuttnick over Eggman.

Jan 27, 2011
bahumat42 said:
aegix drakan said:

I'm a pretty big fan of the sonic series, and I have no problem with the name Eggman. I mean, I did at first, but now? Now I just don't care about that. It's not that big a deal IMO.
does he make eggs? no he makes robots. Its just a matter of one name fitting much better.
But he is egg SHAPED. And makes Egg themed robots. And he is a MAN.

Hence EGGMAN. :p

Jan 27, 2011
Evil Alpaca said:
Quick question:

AdamRBi said:
Eggman was his original Japanese name primarily because he looked like an egg. REally, he was designed Egg shaped so they went with Eggman, "Eggman"probably sounded better in Japan anyway. To sell better in the US it was changed to something cooler sounding because it was the 90s. Due to the two market's being separate it was easy to get away with, but as soon as the markets were no longer isolated (yay internet) the games all stuck to the friendlier and Canon japanese name of Eggman, much to the anger of fans of the American games and cartoons who would of probably preferred Robuttnick over Eggman.
Actually, they kinda compromised.

The characters call him "eggman", but his actual canon family name is Robotnik. As seen in SA2/StH, where his grandpa is Gerald Robotnik.

So it's not like the name Robotnik is totally dead. He just goes by Eggman. Why? I have no idea. But whatever. It's not that big a deal, IMO.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
Aprilgold said:
bahumat42 said:
aegix drakan said:

Am I the only one remembering that Robotnik wasn't very much said anywhere in the games except for manual or backstory? My guess for Eggman being that it was when Sonic was trying to be edgy with words and was making fun of Robotniks shape. Eventually, I suppose that caught on with Kids and as such caught on with Sega. Later its explained that Robotnik was Eggman's father so they could fit in where Shadow comes from in Sonic Adventure 2.

Note: This is the only topic I get this nerdy about.
Correction, It was reviled in that game that his full name was Doctor Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. Meaning Eggman was just his alias. His father was Gerald Robotnik and I should really be doing something more important right now.

My fandom is showing.

Though I've been hearing mixed things about his official Japanese full name. It's been a while.

NinjaDC

Jan 24, 2010
Surprised he did not mention Harley Quinn.
A character that was just thrown in to Batman TAS to give joker a unique lackey, and thus has spread into hundreds of interpretations.