The Big Picture: Shock Treatment

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Shock Treatment

MovieBob gives us a spoiler filled look into the ins and outs of BioShock Infinite

Watch Video

Mr Fist

Jun 16, 2010
Dat was cool. I played this game once and loved it. Played it a second time just to reconfirm what happened in the story and how it held up to the ending. I want to play it a third time just to reconfirm my reconfirmation...

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Bob, that was the best interpretation of this game I've heard. It seems like too many people, myself included, got hung up on all the supposedly-deep themes that were actually pretty damn shallow. But in the end, it's just one dude's failure to deal with his massive guilt. Beautiful.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
The hitting racists in the face with the buzz saw thing is what I took away from the game too... interesting.

On a serious note, that is an interesting way to think of the game's narrative. The more I think about it the more it does make sense. I really enjoy listening and reading things about Infinite's ending for some reason, it's just so fascinating.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
You're right. It IS fun to hit racists in the face with the skyhook.

OT: Good episode. Infinite did have some major plot holes, but in the end it really didn't matter. At least to me. By far my favorite game of 2013.

Ham Blitz said:
I really enjoy listening and reading things about Infinite's ending for some reason, it's just so fascinating.
Ditto. To me that just makes me appreciate the game and its story even more. Has been quite some time since I went over a games story in my head so often.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I haven't played the game....I probably won't anytime soon (not enough time, and still a large backlog of games I want to play), so I don't mind watching the spoilers. I'm surprised this is the first time I've heard this take on the ending though. It makes so much sense the way you explain it Bob. But all the other reactions seemed to focus so much on the huge meta-physical issues rather than the personal narrative.

If I ever do get around to playing it, hopefully I remember to keep that in mind.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
It's funny to see Bob talk about video games on The Big Picture, it's like the Game Overthinker, only with all the bullshit cut out... Of course, it means Bob has to be more to the point and concise about what he's trying to get at here, given that he's on a time limit (why is that, again?), but I also view that as a plus because, like I said, no bullshit.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
This game definitely plays with your mind. What I got after playing the game and watching this is that no one was innocent. Everyone at some point commits some evil. Even Elizabeth in an alternate reality fulfills Commstock's vision of Armageddon. The Vox go from oppressed to oppressors. Everyone was guilty of something and ultimately had to answer for it.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Some of the mechanics they use to present the story I feel don't really work and it bugs me as much as time paradoxes. That being said I had a lot of fun playing it be more fun even discussing it with others and come to the conclusion that it tried to tackle theories it did not really understand and failed.

Mostly about how constants just do not fit in with multi verse theory at all. Liz suddenly becoming omniscient and some details about Booker being drowned. For instance: Liz drowned Booker thus removing Com-Stock and causing her to cease to exist. Why then wouldn't those events just loop anyway since she never existed to interfere with them.

Still good try.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
"Hitting racists in the face with a buzzsaw".
That one line makes me want to see a steampunk version of Django Unchained.

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
Great timing; I just finished this last night! Yeah, all the ins and outs of the ending nearly gave me a headache and I only got the most basic bits of what was going on. So it was nice to have Bob and Shamus (Experienced Points) lay it all out for me. I really wanna play the game again so I can start to put the pieces together myself.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
Holy cow! Bob enjoys FPS!!!

Now about all those historic and phylosophic points I think they are in there to do two main things: one is to be coherent to their time frame. The other is to not make Booker's story so obvious.

Hammartroll

Mar 10, 2011
I'm glad I watched this. I'm in no place to play ANY video games for a while and all I was interested in about this game was the deep story and you've amazingly summed that up to my satisfaction in about 7 minutes, well done. I'm proud of myself for comprehending your super fast overview at the beginning without having to watch it a second time.

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
gphjr14 said:
This game definitely plays with your mind. What I got after playing the game and watching this is that no one was innocent. Everyone at some point commits some evil. Even Elizabeth in an alternate reality fulfills Commstock's vision of Armageddon. The Vox go from oppressed to oppressors. Everyone was guilty of something and ultimately had to answer for it.
Good point. I hadn't thought about it that way. I had already developed a hatred for the Vox when Daisy pushed me out of that zeppelin, and Booker/Comstock were both guilty of atrocities, but until you see the burning New York, the game gives off the impression that Elizabeth is the only pure one around.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Pretty good analysis. Probably more in line with what I took away than most deconstructions I've seen. To me, the game really was Booker's story. While Elizabeth was a central character, and a damn good one, her importance is based on Booker's own past. She is his past, more or less. His interactions with her and the way things play out all serve the purpose of furthering Booker's story.