The Big Picture: Stars, Worn

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I ask, seriously, without sarcasm and with legitimate curiosity...

... why should I expect, in any way, that J. J. Abrams can pull this off?

I can only think of one, single movie of his that was actually pretty good (the one Star Trek reboot), and even that one has one too many plotholes and leaps of logic for me to fully invest in it as a great movie.

And... what else?

Granted, he could surprise me. Maybe Star Trek was a fluke, maybe his less spectacular movies were flukes... maybe he's an M. Night Shaymalan or maybe he's a Spielberg in the making. I don't know yet.

But to entrust a billion dollar franchise to him based on the success of one single movie seems... I want to say "ballsy", but it actually is pretty "stupid".

It's basically the point though that even his detractors have said "at least it's not George Lucas anymore". So there's that.

Daquin

Mar 31, 2009
So wait, Bob...you are a WWE fan or just used the news for the purpose of metaphor because there is a very real booking metaphor you could make of WWE booking forward long standing people like Randy Orton, Triple H, Cena, and now the returning Batista instead of guys who are over as all getout like Bryan Danielson and CM Punk. I think playing it safe is the general idea that media companies will go for because they do feel that, without the nostalgia taking the entire movie, people won't see it just because there are not those nostalgic characters (they even feel franchises can be broken on a whim as we see with countless lackluster sequel movies)

I think it all goes back to people needing to support risks being taken. The internet community tends to be a community of negativity, one that worries about everything which might "murder their childhood" or "not be close to the source material." I am not saying that one cannot be negative at times (to use the wrestling term, that makes you a mark), but you do need to support the things you enjoy and give constructive criticism on what doesn't. When you do the latter, and support risks and focus on what works, you no longer need to be pandered to, people are willing to take risks, and sometimes magic happens. Hulk Hogan was a star because he was over and WWF booked him as a star, The Rock was the same way, but Mick Foley, Bryan Danielson, and even Bret Hart all were able to get over with fans, work on their weaknesses, and forced the powers that be to make the decision to push them. If we can use that same mentality with film, I do think we can actually get things moving.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
Soo in these next few years the nerd culture is going to either explode or implode with how these movies do.

-World of Warcraft movie
-Starwars
-Magic the Gathering

Mean while going back to the topic at hand my problem is there of 3 types of starwars people. People who have scene the movies and thought that was cool, People who have scene the movies and loved it and are the ones they are trying to appeal to. But then there are the try hard fans people who gobble up every bit of lore and the like.

Those people that know the lore. That have read the comics that talk about palpatines ressurection, they going to be pretty pissed at will become pretty much a retcon.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
guitarsniper said:
All I want from the new Star Wars trilogy: Boba Fett, The Movie.
Joke or not all I can think of is why?

Sorry, never understood all the hype surrounding a character who's most action detailed point was knocked into the Sarlaac pit by a handicapped Han while trying for a cheap shot.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
It always feels weird that I saw the Phantom Menace and maybe even Attack of the Clones before the other films. When the Phantom Menace came out, I was actually too young to even be aware of any of the thoughts and opinions about it. Actually since I was 7, I guess I was even in the target demographic.

So even though geek culture tends to be pretty similar having a company try to sell nostalgia to the people around me, and to have none myself is just strange. (I'm talking about the actors, I love Star Wars of course, but I was raised on all sorts of games and stuff but never specifically about just those three films).
--------------------------------------

Desworks said:
TechTim said:
Han dies as a "shock moment", maybe. I feel more likely Luke dies protecting Han, Leah, and sidekicks.
My money would be on Luke as well. That way every trilogy would have a Jedi mentor character die in the first film. Qui-Gon > Obi-Wan > Luke. Plus, if needed, you can always get him back to cameo as a ghost.
I'd actually like that quite a bit, I know Lucas' repeating heroes idea is thought as pretty stupid (and it can be), but that particular pattern seems quite cool to me.

Sejborg

Jun 7, 2010
A movie about the old gang passing the torch on to the new generation could be a beautiful story. I would rather see something like this instead of a movie were the old guys show up to save the day once again.

Passing the torch was after all part of what made the original storyline interesting. Obi Wan and Yoda teaching Luke and putting their trust in him even though they had concerns. The old gang showing up and saving the day because the youth is incompetent is bullshit. Go watch Battleship if you think that is cool.

And Obi Wan dieing in a blaze of glory? I hope not. That would be baaaad.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
LordLundar said:
guitarsniper said:
All I want from the new Star Wars trilogy: Boba Fett, The Movie.
Joke or not all I can think of is why?

Sorry, never understood all the hype surrounding a character who's most action detailed point was knocked into the Sarlaac pit by a handicapped Han while trying for a cheap shot.
Yeah, I think this is one of the many EU ideas they should scrap. Boba Fett fell in the pit, and he's dead. The End. Move on. If you want to bring back Boba Fett, bring the Mandalorians back, because it's what Boba Fett was mimicking. That way instead of one, you have an army of them.

I think we can all but conclude that SOMETHING in the EU will be used as fodder for the next trilogy, and we just don't know what yet. The evidence for this is that Disney is figuring out what it likes and doesn't like from the EU, turning what it likes from EU into canon, and trashing whatever's left of EU. Now I don't mind this - most of the EU is dreadful and murdering any EU material Kevin J. Anderson wrote would be a blessing - but you also run the risk of losing parts of the EU that are legitimately awesome (like Kyle Katarn).

As for the old cast coming back, I don't have a problem with this, as long as they don't overly use them and embarrass the legacy like they did with Indiana Jones (didn't mind the movie, but Ford playing the role at his age looked silly). Also, there just has to be one kid of the old cast there, and it should be Solo and Leia's kid. Luke should know his role, and his legacy should be dying as an old hermit Jedi with no kids just like Kenobi and Qui-Gon before him. No, Mara Jade should not exist in canon, I don't care how hot and awesome she is.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Eh i like the idea of them all getting a bigger paycheck, but well yea, they all ancient, hamill looks vaguely yoda like as he ages, ford in crystal skull, fisher i imagine will put her heart into it.

Ford could just phone it in however, he is at that stage of his career and i think he has expressed his dislike for the whole star wars thing in the past. No telling what way he will go.

they cannot be as bad as episode 1, 2, and 3 it would be an near impossibility so if they meet that standard i will will be suprised.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I dislike the concept of having the main characters be the children of the previous main characters, I?m not saying that you can?t have the new generation as important characters but as main characters its rather boring and uninteresting.

And yeah there probably going to kill off han, because that?s the lazy way to establish that the new villains are serious business.

and the new villains is going be a sith lord (most likely palpatine), and one character is probably nearly going to fall to the dark side.

I?m more interested in the spin offs since they can actually take the series in a new and interesting direction.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Trishbot said:
I ask, seriously, without sarcasm and with legitimate curiosity...

... why should I expect, in any way, that J. J. Abrams can pull this off?

I can only think of one, single movie of his that was actually pretty good (the one Star Trek reboot), and even that one has one too many plotholes and leaps of logic for me to fully invest in it as a great movie.

And... what else?

Granted, he could surprise me. Maybe Star Trek was a fluke, maybe his less spectacular movies were flukes... maybe he's an M. Night Shaymalan or maybe he's a Spielberg in the making. I don't know yet.

But to entrust a billion dollar franchise to him based on the success of one single movie seems... I want to say "ballsy", but it actually is pretty "stupid".

It's basically the point though that even his detractors have said "at least it's not George Lucas anymore". So there's that.
Exactly what I've been thinking at least on the marvel side they make interesting choices for directors but J. J. Abrams is at best an above average director.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
I hope they at least keep Mara Jade in the franchise (as a mention, if nothing else).

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
MB202 said:
I didn't even realize that George Lucas might have came up with everything in the prequel trilogy on the fly... But that makes a whole lot of sense, considering whats actually in those Movies,
I seem to recall interviews with people behind the scenes that said that George Lucas wrote The Phantom Menace in a week.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
What the fans want (meaning what I want because I can't speak for everyone) is a good movie. I'd really enjoy if the next trilogy was focused on the war aspect of Star Wars. The empire isn't gone because the emperor is dead. The New Republic has to fight to remove the massive imperial presence. With that build up in mind (This isn't even EU stuff yet, just how logic dictates) you can get a serious war movie with great heroes and villains. Personally, I'd love to see a movie that plays out similarly to A Bridge too Far with Rogue Squadron as the main cast.

Also, you know, Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Trishbot said:
Armageddon, Mission Impossible 3, Star Trek, Super 8, Cloverfield, Alias, Lost, Fringe, Person of Interest, and a whole bunch of awards including at least a couple for best director. Not all what I'd call good, but he has his name on a whole bunch of very successful stuff and has made a lot of money for a lot of people in doing so. He may or may not do well with Star Wars, but to suggest he's some virtual unknown being put in charge of a big franchise just because of one film just isn't at all accurate. Hell, he's already been put in charge of at least two billion dollar franchises. Like him or not, this is far from his first dance.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Your like the 2nd or 3rd source I heard Han will die.

Off topic-ish if Disney re-releases the original starwars trilogy the way it was I look the other way on this trilogy. Yes I went there.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
Desworks said:
My money would be on Luke as well. That way every trilogy would have a Jedi mentor character die in the first film. Qui-Gon > Obi-Wan > Luke. Plus, if needed, you can always get him back to cameo as a ghost.
That would be a great idea. They should also have one of the new Sith lords break one of the Jedi's back with his fierce strength. And also the Sith does have a strange but familiar looking breathing apparatus. And then he captures him and leaves him in a pit with other Empire convicts so that he can heal for about roughly 60 days or so. And then Qui-Gon or Luke would appear in front of him leaving that impression that he never died at all. And the new title will be Star Wars VII: The Jedi Knight Rises.

For those who couldn't recognise the sarcasm, I was of course talking about a reference to a film that did not went as expected (but did not completely disappoint).

I sincerely hope this film bombs. Really. Not because I'm a Trekkie at heart but well, maybe that too. But mostly because J.J. Abrahams should focus his point on TV shows because that is something that can be corrected over a period of time. If he gets to 'blow his load' in one film, the pressure would be to great. And yeah there is a joke about performance issues in there as well.

I still haven't forgotten what you did to the Star Trek, Abrahams. And I hope the Star Wars fans who got their fan-boy groove on with Star Wars references in Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness will enjoy the sheer 'pain' of seeing their love being manhandled like we Trekkies had to endure with the aforementioned films.

F*ck you J.J. Abrahams, f*ck you so very very very much.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Was never a Star Wars fan. I think the last trilogy is poor at best, I think the first trilogy aged rather ungracefully and it looks dreadful today, and i dont consider it an interesting universe to occupy. There is so much nonsense within it that I just sigh half the time. Or gasp. Or both. It is silly for me and I sincerely hope that new trilogy will do something interesting and - most importantly - smart.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Luke is doomed, considering how the series usually treats jedi masters. I assume he's trainng some young kid and then ends up dying to become a ghost that may or may not appear in future films.