The Big Picture: Superman Revisited

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Looking at the reviews it looks like it's going to be pretty damn divisive. Like Watchmen-type divisive.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
I just wish Bob would stop beating around the bush and tell us how he really feels about The Avengers.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Vilealbaniandwarf said:
Ahem!

I actually LIKE 80's Lex luthor. Seriously, the 'mad scientist' Luthor gave Supes a run for his money with his intellect, but ultimately the world knew Lex was a bad guy.

The reason I love the eighties Luthor, is he weilds a different kind of power to Superman, a power that is different to Supes. He weilds wealth and influence alongside the high level IQ. Superman knows he's evil, but when LL dines with presidents, is on the cover of Forbes magazine, has a team of high priced lawyers and appears to be a model captain of industry, he makes supermans life FAR MORE DIFFICULT. Superman can't just fly up and punch him then drag his ass to jail, instead Supes with all his power has to be SMART. Because following his instinct in this case would make him appear to be the bad guy and Lex the victim. This was always more interesting to me, a virtual god who obeys the laws of man and finds himself frustrated by someone physically weaker but who can weild power and influence far more effectively.
I agree wholeheartedly here; making Lex a savvy businessman wielding the 'new' kind of power was not only an incredibly smart move, it was one that seems oddly knowing, considering the power that large corporations have in our society and the kinds of crimes we understand they can get away with. Putting that kind of power up against the raw physical power of Superman makes for a more interesting problem.

Also: to anyone complaining about Superman's 'all powerful' nature I would say a couple things:

1) Good writing generally solves this problem.
2) I have found out that the Hulk can 'adapt' his body so that he can survive in space. That is some lazy bullshit, right there.

Sheen Lantern

May 13, 2013
Ukomba said:
The main problem with superman recently is just how ultimately strong and invisible he is. He seems to be running into the mudflation. Someone makes a super strong superhero, and superman has to be stronger. Someone makes a super fast superhero, and superman has to be faster.
You do realise Superman isn't even in the Top 5 of the most powerful Justice League member.

He's not even in the top 100, or even 1000 most powerful DC character.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
people considered golden age superman lighthearted children stories? Are you sure you don?t mean the silver age?

I like lex luthor as a corrupt corporate executive, it solves the why doesn?t he simply sell his inventions plothole.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Sheen Lantern said:
Ukomba said:
The main problem with superman recently is just how ultimately strong and invisible he is. He seems to be running into the mudflation. Someone makes a super strong superhero, and superman has to be stronger. Someone makes a super fast superhero, and superman has to be faster.
You do realise Superman isn't even in the Top 5 of the most powerful Justice League member.

A statement like that needs to be backed up by something. I mean, have you seen this?

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
In all honesty even if the movie sucks we got Zack Snyder directicting so we are at least getting some awesome superpower fights.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I just miss the red trunks he used to have...

The original is still a classic, though. "You've got me!... Who's got you?"

Even if "rewind time" is the most stupid cop-out power ever. Right next to "amnesia kiss".

But, hey, can we all agree that Man of Steel HAS to be better than the nearly three-hour-long borefest that was Superman Returns?

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
The difference between Marvel and DC, and which probably a big reason Marvel is doing better, isn't the characters but the universes.

It was mentioned in a Avengers/Justice League crossover at one point, but in the DC Universe, the heroes are loved and adored. There are parades in the street, statues to the heroes... they're loved. Especially in the case of Superman, the villains often come across as jealous and petty, because that's what they are. As a viewer, it's very difficult to sympathise with the enemy in that situation. I'd argue that The Dark Knight pulled it off more because of Two Face than the Joker. Yeah, I'm serious.

In Marvel, the heroes themselves fight adversity. Captain America is manipulated by the government, Stark is an alcoholic, the mutants are discriminated, Hulk is being hunted down by the army when all he wants is to be left alone. Their progression is against adversity, and about doing the right thing even for those that despise you, or would see you fail. That makes a better short story, which is what films ultimately are.

I'm not holding by breath for Man of Steel, but there is so much potential there. I doubt it'll be used sadly.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
If the movie goes well... I hope they reboot batman... not that I didn't like all 3 new bats (i liked the second one, for it's timing, and music)... they are just NOT BATMAN! I want a batman film that is more like the Arkham series, and perhaps start this one with out going to an origin story... and start with "red hood" (the Robbin gone bad) story, to introduce villeins, and deal with each one, then at the end, deal with Batman's own protege... (Refer to Batman:Hush for world art style)... you'll have battles, super villeins, DETECTIVE WORKS (all batman films missing), and EMOTIONS/DRAMA besides love interest (but throwing in cat is cool too... I guess...)..

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Ukomba said:
The main problem with superman recently is just how ultimately strong and invisible he is. He seems to be running into the mudflation. Someone makes a super strong superhero, and superman has to be stronger. Someone makes a super fast superhero, and superman has to be faster. The portrayal of an ultimate good character only works if they have flaws in other places. If Captain America was as powerful as superman he wouldn't have been any where near as compelling. Even Jesus was flawed and had limited power. Superman is just supposed to be the super ultimate bestest best super hero ever.

New technology doesn't help. The older Superman movies were limited by what visuals you could do, so he comes off as more human in the older ones. Might be Christopher Reeves more down to earth nature helps too. This new movie seems to be attempting a more character driven piece, but I have a feeling they're going to still show him as infinitely strong/fast/ext.
There are several DC heroes and villains that are stronger and faster than Superman (usually one or the other) or are at least on par with him but have an advantage and/or disadvantage that can give one the edge. Billy Batson/Captain Marvel/SHAZAM (f*ck you, reboot) is arguably completely on par with Superman AND he's magic, which hurts Supes a lot. All the Flashes are faster than him, especially Wally West. Plus he's not immune to hypnotism and he's fallen to that a few times now, even by Poison Ivy.

Superman's best stories are often more about whether or not he should use his powers and finding a balance, a way to give people hope without having them come to rely on him. That or they're about him having to show that while he is an exemplary man and a paragon of what superheroes should strive to be, he can't be everywhere at once and people may suffer due to his inability to help. Goeff Johns' Superman: Secret Origin and New Krypton arc tackled that perfectly (though some of the character changes like Parasite were a little on the weird side).

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
Sheen Lantern said:
Ukomba said:

What? Is this sarcasm? Never been good at detecting sarcasm that is blatantly wrong or misleading....

Sheen Lantern

May 13, 2013
Ukomba said:
Sheen Lantern said:
Ukomba said:

A statement like that needs to be backed up by something. I mean, have you seen this?

I've seen it several dozen times, it underpowers both Superman and Goku.

This is where Superman ranks on the JLA/JL scale:

1. Spectre

2. Phantom Stranger

3. Doctor Fate

4. Wally West's Flash

5. Barry Allen's Flash

6. Captain Atom

7. Kyle Rayner's Green Lantern

8. Alan Scott's Green Lantern

9. Jay Garrick's Flash

10. Martian Manhunter

11. Captain Marvel / Superman

(This is off the top of my head, I'm sure I've forgotten some people)

And on the DC Universe as a whole, jesus, I could sit here all day and still wouldn't have enough time to list everyone stronger than Supes.

Every 5th Dimensional Imp, every New God, every Martian, Swamp Thing, The Presence, Michael and Lucifer, every Spectre, The Great Evil Beast, every incarnation of the Anti-Monitor, the regular Monitor, Mandrakk, the Source, anyone connected to the Speed Force.

Ion, Parallax and every other avatar of emotion.

Imperiex, Doomsday, Trigon, the Guardians of the Universe, Zoom and Professor Zoom, Time Trapper, Starbreaker, Amazo, The Entity, Saint of Killers, every Endless, Ares, Zeus, Cythonna and... You get the point.

I'm still laughing that you linked that video as if it makes Superman out to be some sort of god, I mean, how weak did you think he was before you saw that video? lol

Sheen Lantern

May 13, 2013
Mr_Terrific said:
Sheen Lantern said:
Ukomba said:

What? Is this sarcasm? Never been good at detecting sarcasm that is blatantly wrong or misleading....
I take it you've never actually read a DC comic?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Hutzpah Chicken said:
2) Superman's flaws lie in what he believes is perfect and the right thing to do but his actions cause greater problems in the world, i.e. Infinite Crisis.
Was that what Infinite Crisis was about? I have some research to do.
80sboy said:
I agree.

We're living in an age where ever hero has to be an anti-hero. No one understand characters that just want to do good anymore because they think they're just one-dimensional boy scouts, while angry brooding murderous characters like Wolverine supposedly have depth...lol

(not saying I don't like Wolverine...honestly, I love him...but he is just a one-dimensional angry fuck...lol)

Up till now, the only other movie except for the original Superman movies with Chris Reeves that got it right was Captain American. Unfortunately for that movie though, after the genuinely good 1st act, the 2nd and 3rd went to shit as it became a bland mind numbing bore, as if the director just decided to finish it off and pass the character onto the Avengers. Also, HOW THE FUCK do you make Red Skull into a mind numbing bore of a character? Damn, that movie went to shit!

Oh, and as for Sam Raimi's Spiderman? Nope! He was just a one-dimensional forgettable goodie-two-shoes.

:p
Wolverine's angry loner schtick doesn't work anymore since he appears in a lot of X-Men books and he's still an Avenger, though I think his role is downplayed since Jonathan Hickman took over writing.
As for your Captain America argument, it's all over the place. Did we watch the same movie? You claim it got Cap right, then call it and the Red Skull boring? Hugo Weaving just ate up the scenery as the Skull!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:
Bob, your distaste towards Nolan's Bane continues to confuse and amuse me, but on every other point I couldn't agree more. Superman has already been adapted almost perfectly, twice, Superman II being at least as good as it's predecessor. It's just a shame both movies are so... 80s.
Why does Bob hate on TDKR? I thought he thought it was OK, and I liked how they did Bane! I was thoroughly entertained, and that's the least I asked for from that movie.
I do have high hopes for Man of Steel, and so far, I'm not disappointed.