The Big Picture: The Big Letdown

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
This video was a lot less whiney and complaining than I thought it would be. bob very carefully articulated why he was disappointed with Man of Steel. I get that not every superhero movie has to be The Dark Knight (still awesome, btw), but I like how they get introspective about the nature of heroism, especially in this day and age. Nothing wrong with that, but still, they should get up and kick ass, because that's why we go to see them.
cynicalsaint1 said:
Oh good ... more of Bob whining about Man of Steel just what I was hoping for ...
No wait, the other thing ... just what I'm utterly sick of.
Look at it this way: he should have it all out of his system now.
yellost said:
"who wants a superhero who isn't constantly morose and tormented all the time"

Obviously, every top people at DC, considering their excuse about the no marriage allowed for Batwoman.

And before we start a big gay marriage debacle, I haven't read the comic, I don't care she's a lesbian and apparently, their given reason for refusing the marriage has nothing to do with that particular issue but it points out to what I find a much a bigger creative problem nowadays : what they said was that no superhero can be happy for him/her to be engaging to the readers.
Isn't that Joss Whedon's philosophy on writing? "Happy people are boring." Now really, who at DC said they don't want their superheroes to be happy at all?

yellost

Nov 7, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
yellost said:
"who wants a superhero who isn't constantly morose and tormented all the time"

Obviously, every top people at DC, considering their excuse about the no marriage allowed for Batwoman.

And before we start a big gay marriage debacle, I haven't read the comic, I don't care she's a lesbian and apparently, their given reason for refusing the marriage has nothing to do with that particular issue but it points out to what I find a much a bigger creative problem nowadays : what they said was that no superhero can be happy for him/her to be engaging to the readers.
Isn't that Joss Whedon's philosophy on writing? "Happy people are boring." Now really, who at DC said they don't want their superheroes to be happy at all?
It's from Dan DiDio, co-publisher at DC at the Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-publisher-explains-why-batwoman-624439]

And I would say that Joss Whedon is half right. Happy people may be boring but constantly unhappy people are not only as boring but also depressing to boot. Hell, that's why I can't stand that Game of Thrones show, situations get from bad to worse to even worse, with absolutely nothing good to look forward to for any of the characters. Makes you wonder why they even bother to keep on going.
What makes a story interesting is the actual up and down of happiness. you need them to go from one to the other through crisis and their resolving to keep wanting to invest in them. So yes, obviously they can't be happy all the time but give them a reason to fight. And I'm sorry but "for the greater good" is not a compelling one.

Hellfireboy

Mar 11, 2013
If Man of Steel is the "biggest and most crushing disappointment of 2013" for you then you need to come to terms with the fact that your life is @#^%ing awesome and get over this. I get it, you hated the movie, and Star Trek, and you hate Batman. I just can't bring myself to care.

KiramidHead

Jan 26, 2012
I haven't watched this one, mainly because I feel like I've heard what he had to say in several previous videos already. At least it's not yet another video about some stupid, obscure cartoon.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Do I need to do **** Spoilers ****** or something?

Anyway **** Spoiler!!***

I realize I am coming to this party way way way too late for anyone to actually read this, but I was having a conversation about this movie and while discussing this point, one of my friends raised the point that actually in the source material Superman does kill Zod quite a few times. Apparently even in the original movie Zod being alive was a deleted scene, and an addition. Also in the comics apparently he has also killed Zod. Perhaps maybe it sets the wrong tone for the first movie, but also that brings me to my next point which is tone. Superman's tone has always been awkward.

The barrier to entry for a lot of the character was and is the god like power that constantly holds him back from being believable even in the context of a comic book. Look at the writing for Superman. The challenge for writing superman seems to be "how do we make a situation in which Superman has to try?" which seems to be a pretty difficult task. Interesting Superman stories tend to look like this. Even the Christopher Reeves version which I still like, ended in the most ridiculous way possible, not because its moving but it's because you just continue to establish how little rules this guy has to play by.

Sure the argument that he is supposed to be the Superior man and supposed to do the impossible, but whats the point if it doesn't look at least a little at least a little challenging.

I guess my point is Superman is an interesting paradox in that the character who is ostensibly the perfect being who's perfection makes him impossible to be interesting unless you do something to remove that perfection there by giving his antagonists a slight and always fleeting chance. Even the guy that kills superman has his bones laced with a substance that makes Superman weak.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
I loved Man of Steel. You'd have to try pretty hard to make a Superman movie that doesn't make me squeal like a fanboy. And they even did something no one's done before and gave us a fancy in-depth look at Krypton before it was destroyed. Also, the new suit is awesome, in keeping with most superhero costume redesigns these days.