The Big Picture: The Devil You Know - Part II

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Devil You Know - Part II

Bob continues his analysis of Satan in popular media.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I think I prefer the first episode, though this episode was pretty interesting. Ned Flanders as the Devil is certainly one of my favourites as well.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
You know when you said I would be surprised on your favorite Satan, I wasn't considering it was Ned Flanders Satan of all depictions.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Interesting, I really liked this one. I will say that the Devil's current depiction by the media is more Zoroastrian in nature via Angra Mainyu (Ahriman) than a relatively powerless opponent of the biblical devil but this was a fun watch. Thanks!

Angra Mainyu was around 300 BCE. So it predates Christianity and the religion was relatively powerful around the 200's CE so it synched up well enough with Christianity's formative years to encourage crossover.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
I do sometimes wonder if we can ever put a finger on the point in human cultural history where the Biblical depictiion of the Devil in Western culture ended, and the more fanciful pop-culture-esque version most of us are more familiar with began.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Chernobog(Чернобог) was a deity to the Western Slavs, hence explains why I've never heard of it(Bulgarian, Southern Slav). Not only that but the dominance of Christianity through the middle ages also didn't leave much.

It is the combination of the words of черно-black and бог-god, so it's exactly what it is: Black God. Yes there is also a White God(Belobog) in Slavic mythology as well.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Awesome video! I'm constantly blown away by the idea that Satan was in Animaniacs... Also, lol at Ned Flanders being Bob's favorite Devil! XD

Also, is Cow & Chicken really all that obscure/forgettable? I can think of plenty of other Cartoon Network shows WAY more obscure and forgettable then that, even around that time! Remember Mike, Lu, & Og? Probably not.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
for all the screen caps of Big S you gave, you didn't touch on Lucy: Daughter of the Devil? for SHAME!

el_emmens

Mar 23, 2009
but Bob! I do remember cow and chicken...or vague. vague instances, probably filtered because of just how messed up the show actually was.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
One of the best versions of the Devil in pop culture was Tim Curry's Darkness in Legend, although Bittersteel's pick of the Devil from Constantine is high up on that list too. Also, growing up on old Disney cartoons, I do recall that short where Pluto went to hell. That was one dark cartoon. And, yes, I recall Cow and Chicken but I was more of a Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls fan. Shame we couldn't cover all of the Devil entries.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
So, do you think the Comic Code and the collapse of the comic code has anything to do with why I have to suffer through so much Zombie stuff? Just a thought spurred on by this episode.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I second Peter Stomare as Satan. He and Tilda Swinton were the only good things in that entire movie.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
My favorite fictional satan/devil is Lucifer Neil Gaiman's Sandman - of course the angel kicked out for arrogance would be super-bishi

Conner42

Jul 29, 2009
Okay...wear headphones if you have to for this.

It's at 5:12, or there abouts. There's a brief whisper there that I hear.

YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN THAT!!!

(Okay, yeah, you probably could. I'm really left wondering what happened at that part and if I'm the only one that hears it)

I have to say though, that Tim Curry devil was pretty...well, frightening, actually.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
I left this episode amused, educated and annoyed.

Cow and Chicken was the shit and I will hear nothing else.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Conner42 said:
Okay...wear headphones if you have to for this.

It's at 5:12, or there abouts. There's a brief whisper there that I hear.

YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN THAT!!!

(Okay, yeah, you probably could. I'm really left wondering what happened at that part and if I'm the only one that hears it)

I have to say though, that Tim Curry devil was pretty...well, frightening, actually.
Nope, I hear it too. Either bob doesn't have adequate sound proofing when he's recording or someone else was in the room (or some other sound source at least).

But let's go crazy and say it's subliminal messages. Fits with the theme no?

InsaneFool

The Dude Abides
Jan 18, 2010
Bittersteel said:
This is the best devil IMO.

So slimy and so much fun also.
Absolutely - Peter Stormare does a fantastic villain to begin with, but having him as THE villain? So good.