The Big Picture: The Fall of Kevin Smith, Part II

ZappAndRoger

Mar 26, 2012
Sleekit said:
Aardvaarkman said:
I really don't get what he's trying to say.
"celebrity" commentators often tend to seek out publicly contentious opinions ?...

this is about the justification of and personal ownership of "a whipping boy"..."a panto villain" if you like...in Bobs own little self defined universe...and it seems he wants us all to go along for the ride...like countless nodding car dashboard ornaments or something...
I don't want to quote the entire thing but I was so glad to read all of it. Every damn line. Great way of pointing out how age bequeaths wisdom...meaning learning to cut the bullshit out of your life. I'm tired of this Gen Y trying to be a Gen X (the labels are shite anyhow) and telling those far older than him not just how they should feel, but that he is somehow a part of a group he couldn't be further disconnected from. It's like that kid brother thing played out as an adult and for pushing 4 decades, really, fuck that.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Shit! Can't believe I forgot about this.

Most of this recap is going on memory since I haven't seen these movies recently.

Mallrats, while disappointing to the film critics, was rather enjoyable despite its shortcomings. As for Chasing Amy, it was OK but it's one of Kevin Smith's movies that didn't quite work for me. Part of that was its sad ending and that the best friend of Ben Affleck's character was a fucking tool. But I will agree that any clueless dipshit that calls a comic book inker a "tracer" should be curb-stomped in front of their friends and family.

Out of all of Smith's movies, Dogma is one of my favorite comedies to poke fun at religion. Also, George Carlin as Cardinal Glick is one of the best casting decisions in filmmaking IMO. A legendary comedian who's never had a kind word towards the Catholic church (and other religions for that matter) playing an attention-seeking, huckster cardinal is sheer ironic brilliance.

Also, show of hands. How many of you own any Buddy Christ swag in your collection?

Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back is definitely a love letter to the fan base and its the first time I got to see a Kevin Smith film in theaters (his earlier works I only got to see on VHS since small town theaters tend to cater to mainstream stuff). I still find it fun to watch and the battle between Jay & Bob Vs. Mark Hamill's character still makes me smile.