The Big Picture: The King of Meh-Sters?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The King of Meh-Sters?

After checking out the latest Godzilla trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132482-Godzilla-Full-Trailer-Is-Finally-Revealed], MovieBob feels he just isn't as excited as he should be.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Overexposure is quite the killer, isn't it? It looks like you're feeling the same way with grim and depressing movies as Jim and Yahtzee seem to be with overly linear schizophrenic modern military shooters.

Oh well, I'm sure it won't be a Man of Steel thing where you either kinda liked it or hated it because every thought rotted one's mind (an opinion you seem to share with Nostalgia Chick).

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I think its mostly to do with overexposure to "grim and dark" there is a place for it, but it seems every movie is either part of the Disney Marvel Movie Franchise or Grim and Dark. I think that is why I liked the Lego movie so much and why I really don't have a lot of interest in any upcoming movies.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
I'm actually very excited to see this movie. One of my earliest film memories is of my older brother showing me his VHS copy of Godzilla Vs King Kong, and I instantly loved it. As such I was hyped as hell for the 1997 American remake, as well as thoroughly disappointed once I actually saw it.

But this movie? This one not only looks like the Godzilla I loved as a kid, but also has the confidence to have the monster in question appear in the flesh in their trailer. Most films of this genre tend to hide the monster because they're worried that audiences will hate it, thus forcing them to actually pay to see the movie if they want to see it.

So as far as I'm concerned, any film that has the guts to show us this Godzilla front and centre before the release date is okay by me, even if I haven't seen the film yet.

00DUMB

Apr 4, 2010
If the movie isn't 1 hour and 50 minutes of people being scared/angry and 10 minutes of RAWR, I'll like it by default. Hopefully it'll improve on that low standard of mine.

Also, I saw Godzilla's Revenge yesterday. Regardless of what Bob says, you MUST see it. DUBBED, not subbed. "Godzilla says I need to learn to fight my own battles!"

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Believe it or not, I feel the same way sometimes about things I like.

Also, I have to wonder, who's the bigger Godzilla geek, MovieBob, or James Rolfe/the Angry Video Game Nerd.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't know, I think I'd rather a movie with a giant monster have some weight...

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
I can't wait to see this. But my anticipation probably makes sense, since I...

1.) Own and love the original
2.) Have no use for any one of the million silly Godzilla movies made since then
3.) Read that this new one is supposed to be a direct sequel to the original.

I'm going to pretend it's a third part of a trilogy bridged by the only Godzilla sequel I liked, 1985.

Having said that, I do feel guilty about it, since I also am suffering from 'inappropriately applied grim/serious fatigue', and also hated Man of Steel.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
I dunno, maybe it's just me, but when I first saw a trailer for this new Godzilla, my first thought wasn't "OMG I need to see this!", but rather "... so, how f***ing big is Godzilla supposed to be in this?" And sadly, the first clip of trailer footage Bob showed us of the movie in this video only served to amplify my concern. Seriously guys, Godzilla is supposed to be big, I get that... but why the f*** is his f***ing head piercing the f***ing cloud coverage?! He's not the size of a walking mountain, people! The movie is supposed to be about a giant monster attacking; these trailers make it look like Japan itself grew legs and decided to come over and wreck stuff.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Yeah, I have a bit of difficulty getting hyped (although hearing the signature roar does bring back fond memories)

Part of it is because of how Godzilla is actually like in the movies. From what I remember, Godzilla was always either awakened because of some folly of man or because of another monster. Godzilla to me always felt like it had some sort of higher agency especially during that one mechagodzilla episode when they used godzilla bone's to make the base structure of their mechagodzilla.

Here, it seems just like a natural disaster with no agency and only rampaging and destroying. Maybe the angle is that it's a reflection of the bikini atoll tests but I just don't think this will wow me like Final Wars.

Edit: I just realized something, if they don't have a nuclear breath on Godzilla, I will be pissed to all hell

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I think the inclusion of "Heisenberg" in the movie is what's making me cynical about it. Not that Bryan Cranston is a bad actor, I just don't think his acting style works for a monster movie (at either end of the specturm...Malcolm in the Middle Bryan Cranston would be equally bad for that role). I think he was only brought in to capitalize on the success of Breaking Bad.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
While I'm a bit more hopeful for the 2014 Godzilla movie, I can get where Bob is coming from. I'm just as sick of the "grim & gritty" movement as the next guy. I'd rather see more films take themselves less seriously and try to aim for emotions other than anger, angst, and/or depression. I get enough of that crap from reality itself. I don't want that invading my other joys like comic books (looking at you, DC Comics). But its hard to change the minds of Hollywood overnight when getting them to change course is like trying to make a massive ship perform a U-turn. Plus a lot of studios tend to grab onto the wrong end of the completely different stick when one movie exceeds expectations. Hence why a majority of horror movies these days are aping Paranormal Activity or why Sony, Fox, and WB are trying to set up their own shared universe like Marvel Studios. I'd like to see these kinds of trends come to an end, but change takes time to work its magic and some parties tend to be oblivious to change.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
I admit that I've never seen any Godzilla movies but even I'm feed up with the trailer.

The film really does just scream 'Grim Dark' and I'm getting fed up with it in the media.

Give warhammer 40k something it at least tries to put in some humour.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I totally get where you are coming from with some of the "grim/dark" fatigue. This most recent trailer actually tempered my excitement somewhat. That said I think the reason I am more forgiving of this is simply because we haven't seen something in the style of the original for a while.

I love the whole range of the Godzilla spectrum, and I hope this is both good enough and mildly successful enough to warrant sequels. With that in mind I figure it would be easier to go from "serious" and lighten the tone from there than it would be to give a "serious" Godzilla later down the line if it started out more like Pacific Rim.

As much as I want to see something in the Gojira style, I still definitely want to see things like Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah later down the line too.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Mangod said:
I dunno, maybe it's just me, but when I first saw a trailer for this new Godzilla, my first thought wasn't "OMG I need to see this!", but rather "... so, how f***ing big is Godzilla supposed to be in this?" And sadly, the first clip of trailer footage Bob showed us of the movie in this video only served to amplify my concern. Seriously guys, Godzilla is supposed to be big, I get that... but why the f*** is his f***ing head piercing the f***ing cloud coverage?! He's not the size of a walking mountain, people! The movie is supposed to be about a giant monster attacking; these trailers make it look like Japan itself grew legs and decided to come over and wreck stuff.
The Godzilla in the new movie is approximately 350ft tall. The reasoning for this is that they wanted him to be big enough that you could be standing anywhere in the city and still see him, but not so big that it's be impossible to obscure him for those all important moments of tension...

I also think that they scaled him up because they still want to keep that "walking wonder" about him that could be seen as being somewhat diluted if they' d have kept him to the original scale in this day and age.

In short, after the last Hollywood remake relegated him to being nothing more than a mutated iguana, they're now going out of their way to put the "god" back in Godzilla.

wyldefire

Feb 27, 2008
As an equally large Godzilla fan as you Bob, I think this's coming from your lack of trust in Gareth Edwards. After seeing Monsters I too was terrified at the prospect of this man taking over Godzilla, but I'm slowly coming around. I'm also not tired of the Nolan aesthetic yet. It gets misapplied a lot nowadays, but I don't find it unreasonable in this case. What's more, we've already had our campy monster movie in Pacific Rim. Do we really need to do that again with Godzilla?

If anything, I'm more interested in this version of Godzilla because we know that there will be other kaijus in it. How a serious Godzilla film grapples with that, essentially hokey premise, is fascinating to me.

Plus, it can't be any worse the Cloverfield right?

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
I'm really confused by the lack of Godzilla in the Godzilla marketing. As for the trailer? I'm not a big Godzilla fan but the fact that I keep forgetting that this movie is coming out says a lot. Is it going to be good? God I hope so. Am I going to cry myself to sleep if it isn't? Probably not.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
TheSapphireKnight said:
I totally get where you are coming from with some of the "grim/dark" fatigue. This most recent trailer actually tempered my excitement somewhat. That said I think the reason I am more forgiving of this is simply because we haven't seen something in the style of the original for a while.

I love the whole range of the Godzilla spectrum, and I hope this is both good enough and mildly successful enough to warrant sequels. With that in mind I figure it would be easier to go from "serious" and lighten the tone from there than it would be to give a "serious" Godzilla later down the line if it started out more like Pacific Rim.

As much as I want to see something in the Gojira style, I still definitely want to see things like Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah later down the line too.
If you want to know as little about Godzilla 2014 as possible before it opens, do not venture past this point...

Apparently, Rodan is in the new movie, along with another unidentified monster.