The Big Picture: The King of Meh-Sters?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Heh, it's interesting to note that Bob did not mention the first US Godzilla as a versions of Godzilla's he liked.

Anyway I think it's the all grim and dark tone being in these days in the media. My bro didn't liked Agent of Shield just cus of the lighter tone to the series (he said he needed his dark and edgy tones), by all means I not into Agendt of Shield for another reason which the ligher tone isn't the reason.

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
Since you claim to know so much about Godzilla, then why did you fail to mention that the original 1954 Gojira wasn't the ONLY Godzilla movie that was serious in tone? That in fact there are just as many serious ones as there are silly ones. Not to mention that every time Toho rebooted the big G that it was a serious movie in tone to reestablish him as the ultimate force of destruction. So yeah, even if you're sick of dark serious reeboots, that's the way that a new Godzilla, especially one made by Hollywood, has to be.

I feel that I have to mention that I love the silly Godzilla movies just as much as the serious ones. Hell, Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Megalon are two of my favorites of the entire franchise. I just want to get that said before anyone jumps on me for being a hater of "having fun" at the movies.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Have we really had THAT much of these grim dark reboots? Besides Batman and Superman, everything else has gone the way of the "Marvel happy go lucky with lots of laughs" root.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
I'm looking forward to the Godzilla movie. On the point of it being dark and gritty, I think that's kinda what it has to be. I'm not sure a present day monster movie with current vfx can pull off the cheesy look and feel, so it's better to just not try for it.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
the potential usage and portraying of the US Military gives me a major uneasy feeling in my stomach, here.

I like the grim Godzilla design here - and all other 'silly' Godzilla movies (except that Jean Reno one) since childhood.
I want this to be a good one.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I... don't know what to think of it. I mean, yeah, I kinda dig giant monsters, thanks to my 90's over-exposure of the Power Rangers (seriously, I stopped watching the damned thing after the movie was released) and thanks of a few animes (most notably, the recent Attack on Titan), BUT... I never was a fan of Godzilla himself, heck, the only thing I know about him are the Hannah Barbera cartoon (the one with Godzuki), the '98 film and the cartoon of the '98 film (wich is actually much, MUCH better than the film itself).

And I haven't seen Pacific Rim yet... so yeah, I dig giant monsters, but not that much to go running to the theatres to watch this, it's one of those "I'm glad I saw it if I do watch it, nothing of value is lost if I don't watch it".

I'll eventually watch it... when it comes out in BluRay to rent it or Netflix.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
wyldefire said:
As an equally large Godzilla fan as you Bob, I think this's coming from your lack of trust in Gareth Edwards.
Yeah, I was gonna say that, but you beat me to it.

Bob, from the moment Edwards was announced to direct Godzilla, you've been fretting about it. You've convinced yourself it has to be horrible, and maybe it will be! But the trailer is amazing. I admit, it's pumped me in a way Guardians of the Galaxy has completely failed to do. You know and I know that it could be great, could be terrible (either of them). But for the moment, just put aside the fear of Edwards and rejoice in how fucking good the Godzilla trailer is.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Mangod said:
I dunno, maybe it's just me, but when I first saw a trailer for this new Godzilla, my first thought wasn't "OMG I need to see this!", but rather "... so, how f***ing big is Godzilla supposed to be in this?" And sadly, the first clip of trailer footage Bob showed us of the movie in this video only served to amplify my concern. Seriously guys, Godzilla is supposed to be big, I get that... but why the f*** is his f***ing head piercing the f***ing cloud coverage?! He's not the size of a walking mountain, people! The movie is supposed to be about a giant monster attacking; these trailers make it look like Japan itself grew legs and decided to come over and wreck stuff.
You know, the premise that "Japan itself grew legs and decided to come over and wreck stuff" would be a heck of a movie, but not Godzilla. Also, clouds can be a different heights, and the arrival of a giant radioactive lizard could carry its own micro-climate around with him. Maybe it has a built in fog machine... or something.

Bob, I understand why this movie may not grab you by the goolies and drag you into the theater, but look at it from another perspective. What if this is a reboot that will follow through on the other movies you loved as well, but is choosing to begin with the original before it goes all actiony.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
theApoc said:
Avaholic03 said:
I think the inclusion of "Heisenberg" in the movie is what's making me cynical about it. Not that Bryan Cranston is a bad actor, I just don't think his acting style works for a monster movie (at either end of the specturm...Malcolm in the Middle Bryan Cranston would be equally bad for that role). I think he was only brought in to capitalize on the success of Breaking Bad.
What about Power Rangers Bryan Cranston, seems right up his ally...
Well, I never watched Power Rangers so I can't say for sure. But I'm guessing the tone of a kids show was slightly different than the one they're showing in the Godzilla trailers.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I know the feeling, Bob. I'm a godzilla fan as well and the trailers got me a little thrilled, but I hardly find myself even caring to know when its release date it. I think I'm just burnt out on reboots/remakes entirely. Not just dark and gritty ones. I guess I'm getting sick of nostalgia when it comes to my movies. At this point, I'm just going to wait until it comes out an see how they do.

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
MovieBob said:
The King of Meh-Sters?

After checking out the latest Godzilla trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132482-Godzilla-Full-Trailer-Is-Finally-Revealed], MovieBob feels he just isn't as excited as he should be.

Watch Video
>Not putting Godzilla the animated series from the 90s on the list

Shame Bob

nejiyellow

Mar 1, 2014
I was mostly interested in what your response would be to the 1954 movie being "serious". I really didn't expect what you said though. Wow. I love the heisei and later showa era movies. I love them becuase they were tokusatsu and had great monsters with well done tokusatsu-style effects. But they were not "good" movies. Thats what you don't get bob. You provide no reasons why the 3 you mentioned are better. Why? Because you don't have any. I also find the notion that without it's franchise it would be a forgettable footnote to be pretty stupid. A great movie is a great movie. It stands on it's own, like any other number of classic movies(its main inspiration, king kong, comes to mind), and the fact you can't get over the fact that the franchise ran it's course in japan and ended is pretty sad. The 1954 movies was, overall, the best movie in the franchise. Mostly the human characters were actually well written. As opposed to most of the other movies where they were forgettable at best(including your 3 favorites.) The movie, overall, was well made. The first sequel, godzilla raids again, was fucking horrible. It tried to do the same thing as the first and failed. It's not too different from king kong's direct sequel that no one remebers or cares about. So they embraced the emerging tokusatsu genre with godzilla vs. king kong and were able to find their nitch.

I still think it should have ended with destroyah. I could never get into the millenium series. 2000 was a rushed piece of shit made because of the 98 amercian movie, vs. megaguirus was proof that the showa era no longer worked, the two mechagodzilla movies were boring and mediocre, final wars was a hot mess(still don't know what to make of it), and GMK was the best one, but still had major issues. All I'll say is this, you have no business watching the new movie because you have no reason to give it a chance. repeat after me bob, GODZILLA IS NOT SUPERMAN. I don't see the relation between that and this. It's going back to the first movie. That's exactly what the first heisei era movie and did and EVERY SINGLE FUCKING millenium series movie did. Or at least tryed to. Oh, and the amercian version of the 1954 movie sucked. Cut almost all of the characterization out to make room for raymond burr stating the obvious. It was cut that way for purely racist reasons and for a "good" liberal like you not to see that is funny. I guess the "japs" don't deserve liberal protection.

I mean, I really loved the heisei era movies. But it wasn't because they were good movies. Well, vs. king ghidorah was so bad it's good(it really has to be seen to be believed, one of the most insane time travel plots I've ever seen in my life. It makes NO sense, but is it fun) and vs. space godzilla was the last of the showa era throwbacks that actually worked. vs. biollante sucked ass as a movie, but biollante is a crowning achievement of the franchise and tokusatsu genre. The way they were able to use practical effects work on biollante in the finale and make it look so fucking good is a thing of beauty. I still think the best showa era movie ( not counting the 1954 movie) is the last, terror of mechagodzilla. Still cheesy, but scaled back enough to work. OK human charcters, and a FANTASTIC finale between godzilla and mechagodzilla. Hell, the humans actually got to do something for once by defeating titanasaurus.

I liked the trailer. I'll watch the movie and give it a chance. I wondering what the fuck you were expecting bob. The reason vs. megaguirus didn't work for me was because of the heavy use of CGI partly. For example, in vs. space godzilla, there is a space battle between space godzilla and MOGEURA. IS it CGI? Nope, they used a black background with plastic asteroids one it and moved the models in front of it. It looks bad honestly(overall, vs. space godzilla had pretty poor effects work compared to the others around it), but thats why it works as a showa era throwback. It's never going to be the same thing. Tokusatsu was a genre defined by a special effect, making it very different from other genre's, and while it effects will always be there in japan and elsewhere, it's time has passed. Super sentai and kamen rider may still be on the air, but they make HEAVY use of CGI. It's not the same thing. It's sad, but I think it always had a shelf life. It's just very limiting.

In the end, if the makers of king kong in 1933 had access to CGI, would they have used it? I think the answer is yes. Likewise, would the makes of godzilla(or gojira if you prefer) in 1954 used it if they had access it it? Once again, I think the answer is yes. The suitmation effects of the 1954 movie were very much in keeping with the cutting edge giant monster movies of the era from other countries. And in the 1954 movie, he was a serious. He was a literally symbol of the most terrible weapon ever created by mankind, the atomic bomb. They dropped that in the sequels and went with the tokusatsu norms of the day because it was a one movie concept. There was nowhere else to go with that. And it is, still to this day, a classic, and one of the best movies ever made.

PS-pacific rim is overrated. I liked a lot of the robot and monster designs and some of the fights were great, but the story sucked ass and the climax didn't work. And if they were making a "homage" to the tokusatsu genre, they might as well gone with some over the top space villians that turn into weird shit when they die. Instead, they ripped off the independence day aliens. Whoopee.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
walsfeo said:
Mangod said:
I dunno, maybe it's just me, but when I first saw a trailer for this new Godzilla, my first thought wasn't "OMG I need to see this!", but rather "... so, how f***ing big is Godzilla supposed to be in this?" And sadly, the first clip of trailer footage Bob showed us of the movie in this video only served to amplify my concern. Seriously guys, Godzilla is supposed to be big, I get that... but why the f*** is his f***ing head piercing the f***ing cloud coverage?! He's not the size of a walking mountain, people! The movie is supposed to be about a giant monster attacking; these trailers make it look like Japan itself grew legs and decided to come over and wreck stuff.
You know, the premise that "Japan itself grew legs and decided to come over and wreck stuff" would be a heck of a movie,
Hmmm... actually, that could work. Someone get me Roland Emmerich on the phone; I need to pitch this!

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Cabisco said:
Mangue Surfer said:
So, is just a trap to talk about Man of Steel again. Bob, you really need a intervention.
I thought the exact same, rarely do you see a professional get so butthurt for so long. The guy needs to get a bloody grip.
Or at least a vacation from superman.

I'm so god damn excited for this movie. I watched that scene in the trailer ,where Godzilla rises up out of the city, on my tablet and had to run downstairs to watch it on a bigger screen. I hope that this sparks a new wave of giant monster movies, good or bad, in the next couple years. I'm totally biased though, I love the "big things eating people" genre. It just does it for me. Lake Placid, for example, was great. Acting was terrible, most of the characters were hilariously sexist, and every character was kind of an asshole, but then A GIANT CROCODILE LEAPS OUT OF THE LAKE AND EATS A FUCKING BEAR. Absolutely amazing film, based solely on that.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Izanagi009 said:
Hutzpah Chicken said:
Izanagi009 said:
Hutzpah Chicken said:
I does look like something worth seeing. I've always liked Godzilla and most of the other monsters (except Jet Jaguar.) and I'm pumped for something related to Godzilla. It's American, so I know it won't be a crazy ride like Final Wars. I mean, come on, that movie combined all of Godzilla, the cool ships from Mighty Jack, and ninja-alien-epcot stuff.

Maybe this might also prompt Toho to finally make Godzilla vs. Gamera. There is no way that they can't get the license of that turtle.
why can't they make a crazy ride version of Godzilla in America because Pacific Rim managed to get that feel well. Would it be because Warner brothers couldn't get permission to make the other monsters like Mothra, MechaGodzilla, King Ghidorah and the like. I would certainly argue that it would make it a great competitor against Transformers: Age of Extinction.
Uhh, I'm not sure if those are questions, but that's not important right now. Warner Brothers probably could do the same thing, but this movie (based on the trailer, mind you) looks like its about humanity battling the giant monster that is Godzilla. They could pull a big surprise though and have giant monster battles. That'd be cool and unexpected!
Yeah but I still don't see a nuclear breath or fairies or magic bones (okay, those last two would be problematic). This just feels grim, I want my blood pumped like when Godzilla throws his imitation into the Sidney Opera House and kills it with nuclear breath

That's awesome, seeing godzilla just walk through a city and wreak shit is not.
I agree with you whole-heartedly. Another one of these would be great, I just don't expect Warner Brothers to do this based off of the trailer they've released.

Swarles

Jul 17, 2009
I honestly don't really get his argument, and I'm not trying to be "edgy" or anything when I say this but does Bob honestly think that a silly take on Godzilla would have been the right way to go with the film. If maybe he's disappointed that there probably won't be other monsters in the film I think I could understand. But I honestly just don't think a more lighthearted Godzilla film would really work in both today's market and the actual fans of the series. Godzilla as a property is just not really a lighthearted property anymore, not since before the first reboot of the series has it really been that. I mean I'm not really looking forward to the film but that's just because I'm burnt out on big budget action movies and I would have rather seen a Japanese Godzilla film rather than an Americanized version of the original film.