The Big Picture: The Other Guys - Lesser Known Toys from the 80's

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
RandV80 said:
I guess it wasn't an animation but I was hoping to see Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. We used to have this bad boy back in the 80's:

Which was a VHS based pseudo-interactive light gun game!
I'm watching them now, and i must say they hold up quite nicely.
acting is decent and the story is alright.

The animation of Sauron (flying robobird, not a flaming eye on a tower) blew me away when i was a kid.

Wow, that thing looks massive.
Never knew there was a lightgun game for it though.
But that does explain the end credits of the episodes.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Blackstar was super cool back then.. and I remember liking some of the Insectar designs (especially the flying bug mount thing). I'm sort of surprised there was no mention of the Go-Bots though. Maybe they have some sort of not also-ran history I'm not aware of.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
I recently watched the entire series of both Robotix and Inhumanoids. Inhumanoids holds up better in retrospect, and I actually enjoyed it. Decompose use to scare me as a kid. It freaked me out back then seeing him morph one of the females in that show. It's still comes off pretty dark. Robotix was a bit weird and didn't have a satisfactory ending, but other wise ok.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
I loved Blackstar.

Bob, did you cover the Micronauts already? They were some of my favorite toys, and I remember they had comics... or something.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I`m feeling so nostalgic over Zoids right now.
That property feels like the kind of thing I`d be more into today than when I was 10.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Evonisia said:
Those bugs do look creepy, I can't imagine I'd have wanted them as a kid.
Those are one of the very few things that MovieBob has put on The Big Picture that I actually remember... and I remember actually taking the bus to both of the local malls in the mid-80's to look for them in the toy stores. This was before Toys R Us made it to my hometown, so it was local toystores and small Canadian chains that went out of business when Toys R Us made its entry a few years later.

I so wanted those toys.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I gotta agree with some folks on Dino Riders not getting a mention. I had some of those toys but the T-Rex was one toy I longed for but never got.

It's been many moons since I ever heard someone bring up Inhumanoids. I remember watching that show on Sundays. Something about giant monsters got me interested. Shame it didn't survive past one season. I would love to see a toy company bring back a series like Sectaurs and Inhumanoids to the collectors market.

Also, since a lot of folks are making suggessions for future Big Picture episodes, how about the history of Filmation?

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Definitely getting a Flash Gordon vibe when watching Blackstar. Which is a good thing in my book. I'd love a Flash reboot.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Oh man, I loved Inhumanoids! I had all 3 of the big guys, I just remember that D-Compose scared the crap out of basically everyone. Looking back on it, a monster with exposed organs who could entomb people in his rib cage was kind of messed up to be selling to kids.

But who cares, they were awesome!

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Holy. Fuckballs. I actually KNOW Robo Force! Well, I know one of them.

I had a Robo Force toy for as long as I can remember (it was the white one in the middle that REALLY looked like R2), but I never knew what it was. Now I do.

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
Even more obscure were Skeleton Warriors. Although it is technically from 90s, it still has similar 'good guys/bad guys' pattern and cool powers and everything. I loved that cartoon to bits.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Huh, I remembered some of the toys, largely the inhumanoids. I had a some of the smaller ones (Tree, rock guy that turned into a rock pile, and the lava guy that had a shell front to do that splitting into two guys thing), but forgot what series each was from until this vid.

The Sectaurs were kinda freaky, yeah, and a few scared me cozza phobias and all. Some were cool, though. I had a few.

I didn't have much of a care for borders in the toy section. <.<

Kinda interesting seeing the competition for the mainstays of the 80s that could probably have gotten lost in the series that didn't make it in general.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Sir Shockwave said:
JPArbiter said:
Next time he needs to cover the second tier stuff, like the Centurions or the Silver Hawks
I'd argue this is definately prone to a follow up episode later down the line.

OT: Oh Bob, you got me with the Max Steel reference. Then I'm reminded of the new version that's about to go into a second season, and I die a little inside X3
Indeed, I remember much of Kid's WB's old lineup with much fondness. Bob, make an episode of that!

OT: I lost it at the phrase "R2-D2 knocked up a Dalek." INSEMINATE! INSEMINATE!
Also, What THE FUCK was happening in that Sectaur opening?!

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Had the T-Rex from Zoids, was still called Zoids in Canada. Had the Robotix too, as well as the tarantula from Sectaurs. Maybe the knockoffs were just bigger in Canada? Had more Gobots than Transformers.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Who could afford all these things when they came out? I remember only getting one action figure each birthday or Christmas and being glad for it.

I do remember all the cool action figures being the hardest to get, even Darth Vader masks were so hard to come by that my parents had to colour in a Stormtrooper mask with black marker for my brother and wrap aluminium foil around a stick for the light saber (cloak was from a devil costume my mum had made for dad before.)

grumpymooselion

May 5, 2011
Inhumanoids and Blackstar were my thing back in the day. My Uncle loved recorded various sci-fi and fantasy shoes/movies and T.V., he was just into that stuff, and he'd send me (and my cousins) copies of the recordings. I watched the run of Inhumanoids and Blackstar over and over obsessively when I was little. They may not have made it, but, I really can't think of a reason not to still like them. Sure, I go back now and they aren't as good as I remember in a lot of ways . . . but in other ways they still have a lot of the charm that drew me in.

Thundercats and Dinoriders were also great. I did end up with Zoids, but we'd moved over to Japan and the Zoids I got there were all manner of different. I remember getting a pack of gum in Japan and in the box were tiny plastic parts to make this little flying type zoid (really really cheap plastic) and other neat stuff. I seriously have no complaints about the quality of my childhood.

Outside of Zoids, though, I never was a big action figure kid. I liked animation and things I could watch. The stuff I actually wanted to buy, as a kid, more typically was video game stuff. When I actually did get action figures seriously in any amount it was with money I'd saved up after talking to my uncle. There were these, "Alien" and "Predator" toys that were coming out which I left in their boxes. I still have them sealed and ready to be shown off one day, all on advice of an uncle that talked to me about investments. They haven't earned me any money, I don't even know how much they're worth, but they're packaged memories and I wouldn't change a thing.